• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you leave your family's religion if...

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Would you have the guts to leave your family's religion if this means that all your family and friends in that religion are required to totally sever all contacts with you? Which considerations would you take before taking / not taking this step?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Yes. Because no religion can tell you that if someone convert they are banned from family. That is only human egoism that tell someone will be banned for not belive what they do.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Would you have the guts to leave your family's religion if this means that all your family and friends in that religion are required to totally sever all contacts with you? Which considerations would you take before taking / not taking this step?

Absolutely. I would have no part in such a religion that would have such an absurd requirement.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes. Because no religion can tell you that if someone convert they are banned from family. That is only human egoism that tell someone will be banned for not belive what they do.

A good deal of what religion requires is human egoism.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I left my family's religion, the Roman Church (RCC), and eventually became a Baha'i, because I no longer believed it was Catholic or Universal as it's claim. The separation was rather hostile and traumatic as far as my family is concerned.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I left both my fundamentalist Protestant faith and, much later, even Christianity, and I got quite a bit of backlash, which I expected. But then after a while most things returned to normal.

Last summer I reconverted to Catholicism from spending 20+ years within Judaism, and I did have quite a bit of explaining to do, but all now is fine. I still have a bit of contact with many in the synagogue, and some of them are familiar with at least one reason why I left and don't seem to have held it against me.

BTW, when I converted to Judaism out of Catholicism, one of the priests told my wife that this was good if it was a better fit for me as he knew I had done a lot of studying of Judaism and, years later, even taught the Lunch & Learn program at the synagogue.

Ellen Brown

Though I won't mention them by name, there are religions who demand that those who leave be excluded. It is a common practice, and the threat of alienation is all that holds them.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I went through the reverse of this situation. When I was a preteen I converted to JW (my parents are irreligious agnostics) and the congregation tried its best to separate me from my family, get early emancipation and leave them behind as the 'opposing non-believers.' And while that was awful I neither converted for my JW friends (though leaving them was hard) or deconverted for my family (though not having that strain was a relief.)

I left because I realised I don't believe in god(s) and I owed it to myself to be honest more than i owed anyone allegiances.

KelseyR

The eternal optimist!
I would leave: even if it meant losing a sizable inheritance.

I won't spend a lifetime pretending I'm something I'm not, and before I go I'd inform them that their belief is definitely false if it requires shunning/conversion.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
My birth family's religions were never my own. Therefore, I don't really know.

Here in Brazil many families do not really expect actual adherence to a common creed, although that is not unusual either.

Rational Agnostic

Of course. If this so-called "family" and "friends" would sever all contact with me for holding a different belief, then good riddance.

dianaiad

If that were my situation, I wouldn't be able to leave fast enough. That is absolutely the wrong religion.

It would, however, break my heart.

InChrist

Free4ever
Yes.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yes. "A man's (person really) gotta do what a man's gotta do." Sometimes we just need to step up to the plate. Boss and I lost contact with her side of the family ... until children came along. They lightened up enough to see their grandchildren.

Zita

Solitary Eclectic Witch
I grew up in Disciples Of Christ faith ,found so many questionable things in the bible they live from, when I was old enough to make my own decisions I left immediately and worshiped as I was being led to which is new age spirituality and am so happy and satisfied with my beliefs I could care less who didn't want to associate with me because I left the religion, it only confirmed what I thought about Christian I have no regrets at all.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

No, IMO one's religion is not really that important. Especially if they required you to sever all contact. Sounds like a social club. For my Grandmother, religion was all about the social aspect. Personal individual beliefs was not all that important.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I take the position with some of my family that i do not understand their religion and i avoid the topic as often as i can. I always try to make it into something better or different when it cant be avoided.