• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would You Have Done It Differently?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Think back to the biggest blowout you had with your SO and what led to it. Given the opportunity, would you have done things differently?

I think back to a blowout (argument, not tire) we had in a car where I was driving and we had a disagreement about which way we were supposed to be going. The argument escalated quickly to the car being pulled over, ignition keys being thrown into a field (I now have push button start, thank goodness), and her choosing to walk in the direction she thought we should have been heading.

While I ultimately ended up being correct, I probably, knowing what I do now, would have handled it differently. I'd likely have just turned over navigation to her and driven either until she realized her error or until our path was blocked by an ocean. But then again, I likely would have been blamed for driving so far in the wrong direction without saying anything. :sweat: (And then people wonder why I chose the life I have.)

So if you're up for the challenge, tell us about your biggest blow-out, if you would have handled things differently knowing the outcome, and how.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So if you're up for the challenge, tell us about your biggest blow-out, if you would have handled things differently knowing the outcome, and how.

Ha ha, best to let those situations go and learn by them.:)

In my younger years I became a professional golfer. If I had the wisdom of years, it would have helped with the required attitude to succeed at a high level sport.

Many have the ability and only the champions have the mental aptitude. Having money to play, also helps in that sport.

Thus if I could do it again, I would have learned to control my attitude when playing golf.

The relevance of this is when your spouse is your caddy :D They walk away and leave you to it.

Regards Tony

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It was an empassioned argument over whether or not a correct first order propositional calculus could be created from scratch using only two operands.

In hindsight, I should have not picked our wedding night to start an argument about it.

I only wish I'd woken her up at the end to kiss and make up. She slept through almost all three hours of the argument.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Ha ha, best to let those situations go and learn by them.:)

In my younger years I became a professional golfer. If I had the wisdom of years, it would have helped with the required attitude to succeed at a high level sport.

Many have the ability and only the champions have the mental aptitude. Having money to play, also helps in that sport.

Thus if I could do it again, I would have learned to control my attitude when playing golf.

Regards Tony

I would have done better just learning to control where the ball went. A shattered windshield, a dented hood or two, and several hundred dollars in lost balls later my clubs lie dormant in my garage.

PureX

Veteran Member
Life is difficult enough without dwelling on the 'what ifs'. In hindsight, regarding relationships, I would have appreciated the other person more. Paid more attention. A friend of mine once said that, "love is just paying attention". And I think he was absolutely right. Most arguments aren't really about whatever they're ostensibly about. They're about not feeling heard, or understood, or appreciated.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Think back to the biggest blowout you had with your SO and what led to it. Given the opportunity, would you have done things differently?

I think back to a blowout (argument, not tire) we had in a car where I was driving and we had a disagreement about which way we were supposed to be going. The argument escalated quickly to the car being pulled over, ignition keys being thrown into a field (I now have push button start, thank goodness), and her choosing to walk in the direction she thought we should have been heading.

While I ultimately ended up being correct, I probably, knowing what I do now, would have handled it differently. I'd likely have just turned over navigation to her and driven either until she realized her error or until our path was blocked by an ocean. But then again, I likely would have been blamed for driving so far in the wrong direction without saying anything. :sweat: (And then people wonder why I chose the life I have.)

Don't win the battle so as to lose the war.
Always apologize & admit you're wrong.
Better to be happy than right.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Think back to the biggest blowout you had with your SO and what led to it.

I'm pleased to report that my wife of 28 years and I have never fought or argued. There have been hurt feelings at times, but they don't lead to a fight. We both came out of previous marriages with plenty of fighting. This topic came up at dinner last night with another couple. They were stunned that we never fight. I guess they do.

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm pleased to report that my wife of 28 years and I have never fought or argued. There have been hurt feelings at times, but they don't lead to a fight. We both came out of previous marriages with plenty of fighting. This topic came up at dinner last night with another couple. They were stunned that we never fight. I guess they do.

You have won the lottery mate.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You have won the lottery mate.

Thank you, and congratulations on your promotion to Staff Member. I don't recall seeing that there before. You were already one-of-a-kind on RF before that - the gentle, constructive, Catholic intellectual - and now have distinguished yourself further.