• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you convert?

Would this do the trick?

• Total voters

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Several threads lately have addressed the LDS belief in a Spirit World where the spirits of all mankind go after death and remain until the time of the resurrection and Final Judgment. As has been explained, we believe that for the righteous, life in the Spirit World will be "Paradise." For with wicked, it will be "Prison." But for all, there will be the opportunity to continue to learn and grow spiritually. Although Jesus Christ will not be there personally, His Gospel (LDS-version) will be being taught to everyone who will listen. (Darn, those pesky missionaries just don't know when to quit! :D ). But the good news is, it's not too late to accept their message after all! In short, everything is exactly the way the LDS people you knew here on earth said it would be, down to the last detail. What would your reaction be?

SPLogan

I would probably assume that someone forced me to take LSD (before trying to force me to take LDS). Then I would pray for clarity, sobriety, and comfort for my loved ones who would be grieving my unconscious condition. I would repent of my sins and ask for the guidance by the Holy Spirit in the midst of that apparently satanic, hallucinogenic experience in an alternative universe.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
SPLogan said:
I would probably assume that someone forced me to take LSD (before trying to force me to take LDS). Then I would pray for clarity, sobriety, and comfort for my loved ones who would be grieving my unconscious condition. I would repent of my sins and ask for the guidance by the Holy Spirit in the midst of that apparently satanic, hallucinogenic experience in an alternative universe.
Satanic? Excuse me, but that's a bit harsh, don't you think?

Circle_One

Katzpur said:
Satanic? Excuse me, but that's a bit harsh, don't you think?

I agree, Kat, but I'm hoping SP was talking about the assumption of having been given LSD being Satanic and not the LDS church.

Bishka

Veteran Member
SPLogan said:
Wow, pretty harsh and ignorant statement.

Would you like to explain yourself, or are you always this rude?

Bishka

Veteran Member
For those of you who choose it

"it was just a lucky guess"

Why? Wouldn't this prove to you the truthfulness? Or did we just come up with an amazing guess? And how'd we do it?

Circle_One

I chose it, but I didn't mean it as saying you didn't see the truth from the beginning, I only chose it because there was no simple "No I wouldn't convert" answer.

I wouldn't convert because I don't follow my practice because I think it's the one and only right and true path. I follow it because it's right for me. Converting simply because something was proven right over something else would not be being true to myself and so I would be converting to a religion I didn't wholeheartedly agree with and I don't think that's any way to practice faith :)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Circle_One said:
I chose it, but I didn't mean it as saying you didn't see the truth from the beginning, I only chose it because there was no simple "No I wouldn't convert" answer.

I wouldn't convert because I don't follow my practice because I think it's the one and only right and true path. I follow it because it's right for me. Converting simply because something was proven right over something else would not be being true to myself and so I would be converting to a religion I didn't wholeheartedly agree with and I don't think that's any way to practice faith :)
Darn, every time I start a poll, I leave out an answer that a lot of people would choose. I wish the admins could add that one, but I don't think they can. If any admin reads this and is able to add, "No, I wouldn't convert" choice, I'd appreciate it.

Booko

Deviled Hen
beckysoup61 said:
Wow, pretty harsh and ignorant statement.

Would you like to explain yourself, or are you always this rude?
Hm, I thought he was just being a smart-aleck. Hard to tell, though.

edit: Oh, I put a question out for the mods to see if it's possible to add that poll option. I'm too much a noob at mod-dom to know these things yet. :help:

And, and back to the OP -- I would convert. After all, if I found myself in spirit prison, I would know where I was, and would feel rather stupid not to take the opportunity to fix a mistake.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Honestly, we all believe what we each do because we feel there's truth in it. If not truth, than a better way to live, or something that we each can identify with. I dont really like the idea of heaven and hell or an afterlife. If there is one, then I'll probably be going to the latter of the two :p

I'm happy believing as I do now.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Booko said:
And, and back to the OP -- I would convert. After all, if I found myself in spirit prison, I would know where I was, and would feel rather stupid not to take the opportunity to fix a mistake.
You know I'm actually pretty surprised at the number of people so far who apparently wouldn't even consider converting. It seems to me that there is a point where stubbornness is counter-productive. As for myself, if I were to die and were suddenly to find myself reincarnated as an entirely different lifeform or even as a different human being, I'd sure as hell be open to the idea that I was wrong in my beliefs. And, if my eternal destiny depended upon admitting that, I'd definitely be willing to.

Katzpur said:
You know I'm actually pretty surprised at the number of people so far who apparently wouldn't even consider converting. It seems to me that there is a point where stubbornness is counter-productive.

IMHO, I don't think that it is a matter of being stubborn. I think it a matter of how the question is being read.

To be honest, I had to read through your first post a few times to make sure that I understood it correctly. I think people are, for the most part, over looking the main point of your question.

What I was seeing at first was - Would you convert? rather than -Would you convert if you found out that the beliefs of the LDSs were true after you died?

Bishka

Veteran Member
KSojourner said:
you found out that the beliefs of the LDSs were true after you died?
Yes, that's what she was saying.

If after you died and found out that it was the truth would you convert?

beckysoup61 said:
No, that's what she was saying.

If after you died and found out that it was the truth would you convert?

Don't you mean "yes, that's what she was saying?"

As I said, I had to read it several time to understand what was being asked. My point was maybe other people are having difficulty as well and that is the reason why they are reacting to it in the way that they are.

Bishka

Veteran Member
KSojourner said:
Don't you mean "yes, that's what she was saying?"

As I said, I had to read it several time to understand what was being asked. My point was maybe other people are having difficulty as well and that is the reason why they are reacting to it in the way that they are.

I changed it, sorry, I have strep throat, not doing to hot today.

lunamoth

Will to love
And will there also be LDS folks on the sideline saying "naaa naa na naaa na?" while we make up our mind?

Gotcha!

luna

cardero

Citizen Mod
If I died and I find myself enlightened or ignorant, in Paradise or Prison, one thing I would know for sure; that the relationship I have with GOD, whether it was redefined or it remained the same would be mine. These are the terms in which GOD would have to come to understand, not me.

So my answer is e:
GOD would have to convert.

bobthom

The only I'd convert to Mormonism, is if I got promoted to God before I passed on. Then I'd rewrite the book and change the rules.

Seriously, I have problems with revelations that are supposed to be a historical record, yet God removed the hard copy before we got a chance to read it.

gnostic

The Lost One
Sorry about getting sidetracked.

What's a "polytheisitic agnostic", bobthom? :confused:

I have never come across such definition for agnosticism. It sounds pagan-istic. :rolleyes: