• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you consider Christianity slavery?

Euronymous

SSilence

I mean, I'm an atheist, and I consider it slavery, since there are so many restrictions in the Christian bible; no offense to Christians or anything, this is just my own opinion on the matter.

What's your opinion on the subject?

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I mean, I'm an atheist, and I consider it slavery, since there are so many restrictions in the Christian bible; no offensive to Christians or anything, this is just my own opinion on the matter.

I'd say partially. I see Christianity more as a cult following than anything else. Slavery seems like forced servitude, so I can see it applying depending upon the situation.

I'd liken it more as a being a type of mental slavery rather than physical.

Euronymous

SSilence
No, because people have a choice whether to be Christians. Real slaves have no choice.

Well, what about kids (specifically pre-teens)? How can they have much of a say in what they believe in, since at that point in your life, you pretty much go along with what your parents tell you to do?

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, what about kids (specifically pre-teens)? How can they have much of a say in what they believe in, since at that point in your life, you pretty much go along with what your parents tell you to do?
I think this is an oft-used argument that has no merit in reality. My then-six year old cousin went to a CofE school and came home one day declaring her unbelief. Kids can work out what they do and don't believe. They may hide it for a while, but they are certainly capable of individual thought.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה

I mean, I'm an atheist, and I consider it slavery, since there are so many restrictions in the Christian bible; no offensive to Christians or anything, this is just my own opinion on the matter.

Well, then Islam is slavery, Judaism is slavery, being a citizen is slavery, being an employee is slavery, being a child is slavery.................

Euronymous

SSilence
I'd say partially. I see Christianity more as a cult following than anything else. Slavery seems like forced servitude, so I can see it applying depending upon the situation.

I'd liken it more as a being a type of mental slavery rather than physical.

Yeah, I agree with you on the "mental slavery rather than physical" part.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Its more of a choice than Capitalism which I consider salvery. If you don't want to be a slave to money there is no other option you are forced to deal with money.

Were all slaves to God just like were all slaves to death.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
No, because people have a choice whether to be Christians. Real slaves have no choice.
Many of them don't even actually chose it, and instead do nothing more than going with the flows of social approval, and never really actually gave a moment to think about it. It's a trait of the slave mentality.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Maybe a servant. Slaves have no choice in the matter. Christians are servants or willing slaves to christ via constant need for reconcilliation of sins they believe created the downfall and barrier between them and god. I sin. I cant help my self. Christ helps me. I need christ. Im free from sin. I sin again. It continues.

If one isnt a slave to sin then they would not be seeing outside help they feel they cant live without. There wouldnt be an ultimatum if there was no guilt/sin-cycle involved. This is any denomiation.

As for the bible, I dont see many christians following the cultural lifestyle of people in scripture. They twke out the meaning/taste but dont eat the practice/meat. They can probably learn from their jewish "ancestors." Quote on double quote.

Slave as in doing something against their will, no. Slave as in doing something because they feel they have no other option to excape, yes.

The former is physical and the other psychological. I hate slavery but the latter could be anything not just religious in nature.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Only in the most poetic sense. Ie Matthew 6:24. Honestly I think calling it slaves understates the suffering of real people in human trafficking that continues to exist today. Just like 'brainwashing' is a process I could never call 'bringing kids up in your religion,' not even cult like behavior of the Phelps family. Not unless youre using actual prolonged systematic tools to break down identity and beliefs, such as gaslighting

Frater Sisyphus

Contradiction, irrationality and disorder
No

But if you want to look at it like that, then consider how mere mortal existence could be thought of to be slavery that only ends at death, which would only be worse if there is no afterlife.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Well, then Islam is slavery, Judaism is slavery, being a citizen is slavery, being an employee is slavery, being a child is slavery.................

I dont know about judaism, but christianity its mental. An employee is not mentally forced at ultimatum to work. He works for outside reward to feed his family but changing jobs and retiring doesnt mean he doesnt benefit anymore. If done right, he can do whatever he wants without feeling needing to stay where he is to feel emotionally stable. In this area where I live, its "if I work X many years, Ill retire, get a paycheck, and die." They are slaves to money. Service is the action the mentality is political slavery.

A child is not a willing servant to his parent as a employee is to his boss. Without the parent-a person(s) to care for the child, he would die. When he grows older he may stay with his family out of obligation but people here want to get out and be independent. Be free. In christianity, its highly engrained that the body of christ is the core and center in which christ is present and thereby with god. They cant be independent of it. As my friend says, "it is her Life."

Unlike a child, the christian not only feels obligated but a real life long need that a free person wouldnt need. A free person can benefit from any resource thst helps him; he can be eclectic. One that is a servant (rather than slave) to his religion finds no help in anything contradicting their faith. Thats the difference.

American citizens are a slave to political authority, if one likes. Its another psychological cycle. Christianity, the roman kind, historically is a huge huge part of it.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Also, physical slavery many people know via pain. Pyschological slavery they dont. Those that do cant escape. They feel they have no where else to go:

Plato: Analogy of the Man in the Cave

Excerpt

SOCRATES: What do you think? From the beginning people like this have never managed, whether on their own or with the help by others, to see anything besides the shadows that are [continually] projected on the wall opposite them by the glow of the fire.

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Being an atheist is slave because the atheist is a slave to the limited intellect.