• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would this make you angry??

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Honestly, I do think that the main problem here was Q not asking about the appointment. Zoom appointments are pretty standard procedure around here. If I wanted a real face-to-face I would have made that clear at the time the appointment was being made.
Perhaps he's unaware of C19?
Tom
No, they definitely shoukd have told him ahead of time. Doctors can't assume everyone will know about this zoom, know how to use it, or know it will be used. They also shouldn't assume it a viable option for all (I got pissed at one doctor for insisting on using Duo even though I told her I could barely hear her over it).

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
No, they definitely shoukd have told him ahead of time.
Why? If it's important, why not ask?
It's not like zoom appointments are rare. That's what my mother-in-law did for weeks.
I see this as about equally poor performance on the doctor's office and Q's sense of victimhood and entitlement.
Tom

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Why? If it's important, why not ask?
It's not like zoom appointments are rare. That's what my mother-in-law did for weeks.
I see this as about equally poor performance on the doctor's office and Q's sense of victimhood and entitlement.
Tom
The biggest issue and concern is Zoom isn't the only thingy for it, it's spotty on if doctors will see people face to face or not, and not everyone's phone likes video chat and VoIP (I have an S8 Active and I cant hear anything over Duo and VoIP just doesn't like to work). It can also be a major issue if you cant get fast enough internet service for it where you live (that is a negative where I lived in Indiana and the one time I tried it just wasn't happening).

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow, and they waited until today to let me know it was going to be a zoom meeting.

That was strike one. I don't mind doing an appointment via Zoom, but it bothers me that I didn't get a heads up about it, especially since I called yesterday to confirm and they didn't mention it.

Strike two is that when I asked the receptionist why they waited until the last minute to let me know she just ignored the question and started walking me through the steps for "Zooming", which I didn't need and didn't ask for.

Anyway, it's got me wondering how bothered other people would be over something like this. I know I have anger issues, and I'm basically trying to gauge just how out-of-the-ordinary I should consider my emtional reactions to things like this.

Put another way: how likely would you be to walk into the clinic tommorow, smile warmly, and tell the receptionist, "You are a ****ing idiot". And then go conduct your Zoom meeting in the park across the street.

I may or may not make an appointment with their mental health department depending on what kind of feedback I get here.

I'm kinda the wrong person to ask. Basically, I'm not invested enough in the receptionist to care if she's a rude cow or not. If it bothered me at the time, I might make comment, but within two minutes of leaving the call I've forgotten about her. Unless she sounded hot...ahem...

I just figure reacting to fools is a wasted effort.

Totally different if I need to work with her on a daily basis, or she's a member of my family, or something. But assuming you don't need to have regular contact with her, I wouldn't be investing anything emotionally. It has been mentioned to me that I have the emotional range of a teacup though (I think it's a line from Harry Potter or something. My kids find it hilarious.)

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
biggest issue and concern is Zoom isn't the only thingy for it,
My 75 y/o mother-in-law managed it, it can't be that hard.
My point was "if you don't want a Zoom appointment then you should point this out before agreeing to the appointment, given the current situation".
Tom

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
My point was "if you don't want a Zoom appointment then you should point this out before agreeing to the appointment, given the current situation".
Tom
It shouldn't be assumed that people will know thats how it will be. At the very minumum the platform/app should have been specified when the appointment was scheduled.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
It shouldn't be assumed that people will know thats how it will be. At the very minumum the platform/app should have been specified when the appointment was scheduled.
I think patients should take a little responsibility. If the normal(at this time) doctor visits don't suit they should at least mention it.
Tom

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Asking someone which religion they have is not inappropriate to me

I find that when a person is sincere in the question they ask, and doesn't wish to use the information received against a person, you can ask whatever you like without much offense. In all honesty, most people like to talk about themselves. If they perceive you as a genuine listening ear, it is often a positive conversation for both parties.

It's when someone is being condescending or has their own agenda that the problems often lie...

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow, and they waited until today to let me know it was going to be a zoom meeting.

That was strike one. I don't mind doing an appointment via Zoom, but it bothers me that I didn't get a heads up about it, especially since I called yesterday to confirm and they didn't mention it.

Strike two is that when I asked the receptionist why they waited until the last minute to let me know she just ignored the question and started walking me through the steps for "Zooming", which I didn't need and didn't ask for.

Anyway, it's got me wondering how bothered other people would be over something like this. I know I have anger issues, and I'm basically trying to gauge just how out-of-the-ordinary I should consider my emtional reactions to things like this.

Put another way: how likely would you be to walk into the clinic tommorow, smile warmly, and tell the receptionist, "You are a ****ing idiot". And then go conduct your Zoom meeting in the park across the street.

I may or may not make an appointment with their mental health department depending on what kind of feedback I get here.

Yes you are right to be wound up and i think you should mention the effect it has had on you to the doctor.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I think patients should take a little responsibility. If the normal(at this time) doctor visits don't suit they should at least mention it.
Tom
Patients cannot assume if a doctor will be doing appointments over Skype, zoom, duo, or a number of others. Such things should be stated when the appointment is scheduled that it will be over whatever. Quagmire has indicated this was not the case.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
There seems to always be an assumption that a person has internet access as well, and, being as a doctor needs to serve a patients in a variety of life situations, this shouldn't always be so. If this were to have happened to me in June(or before), that would have been problematic, as I had no internet access(and still don't have a smartphone).

This would also present problems for several of my older family members in similar situations. It's good for a practitioner to be mindful of all.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Doctors' inconsiderate attitudes about their customers'
time & convenience is a problem that preceded Trump.
I know it'll come as a shock, but Trump hasn't caused
all the ills of the world.
No, he's right: I called their office this morning and asked why they scheduled me for a face-to-face visit and then changed it to a Zoom meeting without giving me a heads up and the receptionist said, " The President told us to!"

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Tom
And if I don't want to be slapped in the face with a dead fish while I'm waiting in the lobby should I mention that too?

Just trying to cover all my bases here.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Tom
I wish I were as good at anything as you are at missing the point.

PureX

Veteran Member
They should have told you when you scheduled the appointment that it was going to be a Zoom meeting (or let you know what the options are). When confirming the appointment, it should have been confirmed to be a Zoom meeting. And, yes, the receptionist should have listened to you.

Yes, I would be upset.
I just got a call yesterday from an automated reminder machine telling me of an appointment next week, and it did not specify in-house or on-line. It said I had to call to find out ... I canceled it, so I don't have to call to find out. :)

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
And if I don't want to be slapped in the face with a dead fish while I'm waiting in the lobby should I mention that too?

Just trying to cover all my bases here.
I don't know.
I've never been to California. Perhaps that's the norm.
Around here, at this time, Zoom appointments are the norm. In person visits happen also, when needed. But it's not an assumption.

I wish I were as good at anything as you are at missing the point.
Other than you're annoyed by the current state of things, I'm not entirely sure what your point is. C19 has changed a bunch of things, especially in the live and in person medical world.
Tom