• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would this be considered God?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Why not? People here have sure done so, so that proves that it can be done.
now.... now....
calling yourself a god doesn't make it so....does it?

and if did so for myself you would SCREAM for proof.....wouldn't you?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
you know me.....for years I've been posting....
Almighty...the term is self explanatory.
Creator...the Cause for all of this.

Sure, you do hold a belief in a creator, omnipotent God.

true I don't have a religion.

That depends entirely on how one defines religion.

By some understandings, such as mine, you are obsessed with a couple of minor, questionable matters with no true significance or importance and thereby neglecting the point of religion.

By others, you would qualify as a religions fanatic.

There are really way too many clashing understandings of "religion" these days. Just a few days ago I saw a Dharmi write that Dharma is not religion.

If the trend continues, we will see theocrats claiming that they need political power in order to repress religion.

I think ritual and recital get in the way.

I think this scheme of things plays in a reasonable manner.

Depending on one's goals and evaluation parameters, perhaps it does.

I wouldn't know. I am not the best person to speak of the virtues of theism for theism's sake.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Sure, you do hold a belief in a creator, omnipotent God.

That depends entirely on how one defines religion.

By some understandings, such as mine, you are obsessed with a couple of minor, questionable matters with no true significance or importance and thereby neglecting the point of religion.

By others, you would qualify as a religions fanatic.

There are really way too many clashing understandings of "religion" these days. Just a few days ago I saw a Dharmi write that Dharma is not religion.

If the trend continues, we will see theocrats claiming that they need political power in order to repress religion.

Depending on one's goals and evaluation parameters, perhaps it does.

I wouldn't know. I am not the best person to speak of the virtues of theism for theism's sake.
but you don't hesitate to denounce it.
You claim it is 'foreign' to you.

ether-ore

I have been wondering lately that if someone does not adhere to an anthropomorphic view of God, i.e., traditional theistic, but more like a panentheistic, "God is a pervading spirit or force" view, is that considered God? Trying to pin down my particular view.
Being LDS, my own belief is that God is not merely a pervading spirit or force. My view is that we cannot know anything about God except He reveals it. Since He only reveals Himself through prophets, it then becomes my task to read the various testimonies concerning the nature of God and to determine which are the most consistent and are corroborated by other prophets. In my estimation, single source descriptions of God will not do (Commentaries do not count. Only the originals or translations of them count. So, if there is only one un-corroborated original, I find that suspect.)
My understanding of God is based on my relationship to Him... that I am His child. If I came out from Him, then I am like Him; created in His image and that if I am like Him, then He is like me in that He has a body of flesh and bone. I believe His influence is everywhere felt but that He Himself has a particular location in space and time.
None to the scriptures I have identified as having met the criteria of being consistent and corroborated (the various books in the Old & New Testaments, the various books within the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price)... none of these suggest that God is pantheistic in nature. They all consistently report that we are like God. The idea of anthropomorphism suggests that God is a construct of the human mind. The scriptures do not describe God in that way. The scriptures do not suggest in any way that we imagined God into being. They very explicitly say... we are like Him.

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
FWIW.
"As a religious position, some describe pantheism as the polar opposite of atheism. From this standpoint, pantheism is the view that everything is part of an all-encompassing, immanent God. All forms of reality may then be considered either modes of that Being, or identical with it. Some hold that pantheism is a non-religious philosophical position. To them, pantheism is the view that the Universe (in the sense of the totality of all existence) and God are identical (implying a denial of the personality and transcendence of God)."