• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

would the world be a better place

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
What would you do about fists? Are rocks weapons? Weapons aren't the problem. Education is the solution. Problem is I don't have an idea about what type. Religion hasn't worked. Ideas?

Turn the other check is awful advise J.C. gave; this often wouldn't result in a favorable outcome for anybody who'd actually follow this crummy advise. I agree with Mike Tyson's quote: "Everybody's got a plan until he gets punched in the face." My plan to keep everybody civil is more good guys with guns in comparison with the number of bad guys who have guns".

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
It's a fun hobby to hunt. Same as fishing is a fun hobby. Most hunt for food, not fun.

Yeah. I certainly can't think of a better way to spend my morning than smearing green and black all over my skin, freezing my arse off for a couple of hours, and falling asleep in a tree stand from boredom. Right up there with fishing. :D

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
personally i would be fine by living only of plants. berries and other vegtarian way of living,
I know not everyone can do that an i know some hunting will always be there, the killing i want an end to is human killing human

The point to the post your responded to was that there would be a population explosion and not enough food to go around, plants included. Many would starve to death.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Wold the world become a better place if we destroyed all weapons?
Why do human beings want to use weapons?

I suspect someone would go about making a new weapon and take over the world. :smilingimp:

You may not be a greedy SOB, but it only takes one.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Guns/weapons are cool. My uncle took me out shooting targets with a pistol when I was 7. Skeet shooting is fun. Nephew has a safe full of weapons. It's like race cars with powerful engines. Don't really need them but for some folks racing is their life.

Weapons are not the problem, it's the folks that use weapons for unlawful purposes. Come down hard on the criminals, folks who abuse or laws. :thumbsup:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
The biggst problem is that humans have ego, hate, delution, greed and jealosy within them thsi lead to fights, but without weapons the result could be les wars

Well, duh...this is why you need a weapon. No matter how noble you try to be, you might have to defend yourself from these types.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Well, duh...this is why you need a weapon. No matter how noble you try to be, you might have to defend yourself from these types.
I do not defend my self by use of weapons or even a stick. I have no reason to harm other beings even they wish to harm me.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
My immediate thought is that this is impossible. What do you mean by "weapon," @Amanaki?

I mean, our very bodies are weapons. In essence, you are asking if the world would be a better place without humans in it.

In any case, I never find discussions about what would make the world a "better place" to be anything other than hubristic demonstrations of human values. There is no making the world a "better place" there is only making the world a "better place because it agrees with what I personally think it should look like (which screws over all those who think differently)."

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
My immediate thought is that this is impossible. What do you mean by "weapon," @Amanaki?

I mean, our very bodies are weapons. In essence, you are asking if the world would be a better place without humans in it.

In any case, I never find discussions about what would make the world a "better place" to be anything other than hubristic demonstrations of human values. There is no making the world a "better place" there is only making the world a "better place because it agrees with what I personally think it should look like (which screws over all those who think differently)."
Yes we can use our body as a weapon, but i was talking about weapon like guns, rifle and so on, yes i know my wish for the world is no longer a plausable senario, because we think without guns we go back to the stone age, i do not belive so. i think we would get far with compassion for all living beings instead of hate and wars

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

You would have to completely annihilate the entire planet and every form of life.

So the answer is no.

Human beings aren't the only ones that use weapons. Chimpanzees will use sticks as clubs to kill other creatures. I don't know exactly how many but its thousands of other animals have evolved weaponized body parts. Not just sharp claws/teeth either. But biological and chemical weapons, acids, poisons, venoms, harpoons, even sonic weapons (pistol shrimp).

It's just apart of life.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
the world is full of guns now, is it a good place to live in peace?
I prefer peace and equality. It would be very nice to live in a world without weapons. But that door has been closed to us for 1000's of years since our first ancestor picked up a rock or a sharp stick and figured out another use for it. The cat is out of the bag. People know about weapons. They can make them if they are not available elsewhere. It may be an unpleasant reality, but it is reality.

Some people may choose to remain pacifist in the face of violence, but I choose to prepared to defend myself from violence towards me or others. Just because I know about them and even may own some, I am not compelled by that fact to use them wantonly. Even if I put mine down, how can I be sure everyone will.

The best that can be done now for those inclined against weapons, is to promote peace, teach wisdom and responsibility and try to persuade others. In a free society, all you should be able to do is make a persuasive argument. If that fails, you have to learn to live with the conditions that exist. To force people to get rid of weapons will only open the door for the need to have them to defend themselves against being forced.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
You would have to completely annihilate the entire planet and every form of life.

So the answer is no.

Human beings aren't the only ones that use weapons. Chimpanzees will use sticks as clubs to kill other creatures. I don't know exactly how many but its thousands of other animals have evolved weaponized body parts. Not just sharp claws/teeth either. But biological and chemical weapons, acids, poisons, venoms, harpoons, even sonic weapons (pistol shrimp).

It's just apart of life.
Animals are animals , human beings are not animals in my view

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I prefer peace and equality. It would be very nice to live in a world without weapons. But that door has been closed to us for 1000's of years since our first ancestor picked up a rock or a sharp stick and figured out another use for it. The cat is out of the bag. People know about weapons. They can make them if they are not available elsewhere. It may be an unpleasant reality, but it is reality.

Some people may choose to remain pacifist in the face of violence, but I choose to prepared to defend myself from violence towards me or others. Just because I know about them and even may own some, I am not compelled by that fact to use them wantonly. Even if I put mine down, how can I be sure everyone will.

The best that can be done now for those inclined against weapons, is to promote peace, teach wisdom and responsibility and try to persuade others. In a free society, all you should be able to do is make a persuasive argument. If that fails, you have to learn to live with the conditions that exist. To force people to get rid of weapons will only open the door for the need to have them to defend themselves against being forced.
I live a very calm and secluded lifestyle without fear of the weapons people do have, but in the same time see that weapon used by the wrong people cause suffering to people, with compassion in my heart i would like to see all weapons removed. But as one person i know i can not fix this problem alone :)

All i can do is spread the message that weapons in the wrong hands are very bad, and that we should not kill each others

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

The short answer would be no, as there is an element of some humans that will not submit to anything but force.

There was guidance given on this subject by Baha'u'llah. All Nations are required to disarm apart from what is required for internal police forces as to maintain law and order in that nation/country.

In turn the Governments of the world would set the boundaries of each Nation and provide an international force that would be equiped to maintain order amongst the Nations. If any government would then arise against another, all nations would arise and subdue its move.

It is said, that is naught but manifest justice.

The world has attempted this, with League of Nations and then UN but to date Nationalism still reigns, thus providing the UN with no power to do this.

Regards Tony