• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

would the world be a better place

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Wold the world become a better place if we destroyed all weapons?
Why do human beings want to use weapons?

Sometimes, a good guy with a weapon is the only way to stop a bad guy with a weapon.

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Sometimes, a good guy with a weapon is the only way to stop a bad guy with a weapon.

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” ― Robert A. Heinlein
the world is full of guns now, is it a good place to live in peace?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Upon further contemplation, the world would certainly be a different place. The human race may have even become extinct many years ago, as they would certainly not be at the top of the food chain. If anything, there would certainly be a lot less of them, as other carnivores would likely be higher on the food ladder.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
In the U.S.,, there are more guns than people; hence, it'd be impossible to get rid of that many weapons. Also, they can serve peaceful purposes, like for hunting or gamesmanship. ...:)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Even if we destroyed all weapons at this very point in time, humans' egos would motivate them find another way to cause harm or end each others lives.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Upon further contemplation, the world would certainly be a different place. The human race may have even become extinct many years ago, as they would certainly not be at the top of the food chain. If anything, there would certainly be a lot less of them, as other carnivores would likely be higher on the food ladder.

Good point, you beat me to it by a minute,,,,weaponless human beings would indeed often fall prey to other animals. ...I hope you aren't upset I've categorized human beings as being a type of animal rather than as being something rather more significant.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The change has to start in the human heart. Then the possession of weapons would simply fade away.

People want to use weapons because of the separative ego which divides the world into mine and not-mine and leads to aggression.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If i understand ou correct, weapon has been a reason we are who we are today? does weapon help develop spitituality?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
If i understand ou correct, weapon has been a reason we are who we are today?

Yes, for the reasons I outline above.

does weapon help develop spitituality?

Depends on the person. For many, fear of consequence drives their spirituality.

How many people do you think would be praying if they learned a missile containing a nuclear warhead was headed in their direction?

WalterTrull

Godfella
What would you do about fists? Are rocks weapons? Weapons aren't the problem. Education is the solution. Problem is I don't have an idea about what type. Religion hasn't worked. Ideas?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Yes, for the reasons I outline above.

Depends on the person. For many, fear of consequence drives their spirituality.

How many people do you think would be praying if they learned a missile containing a nuclear warhead was headed in their direction?
Those who are afraid of dying would probably pray, even those who do not believe.
But the question then is, if they was not beliving in a higher entity before, would it be enough to pray when they see death come their way?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Those who are afraid of dying would probably pray, even those who do not believe.
But the question then is, if they was not beliving in a higher entity before, would it be enough to pray when they see death come their way?

Depends who you ask.

We Never Know

No Slack

During Oklahoma deer season there are an average 60,000 dear killed.
No guns= no hunting.
No hunting= 600,000 deer population increase in 10 years.
Most wildlife populations (deer, racoon, coyote, feral hog, etc) would explode in numbers and the destruction of crops and property would greatly increase as well.
There would only be loss, no gain.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
What would you do about fists? Are rocks weapons? Weapons aren't the problem. Education is the solution. Problem is I don't have an idea about what type. Religion hasn't worked. Ideas?
The biggst problem is that humans have ego, hate, delution, greed and jealosy within them thsi lead to fights, but without weapons the result could be les wars

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Yes, rocks are weapons.

How do you know education is the answer if you don't know what kind?

As I alluded to above, and as @sun rise has said, people would have to set aside their egos. Becoming more tolerant of each other's views would be a good starting point.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
No guns= no hunting.
Most wildlife populations (deer, racoon, coyote, feral hog, etc) would explode in numbers and the destruction of crops and property would greatly increase as well.
living with the nature, being a part of the nature, intead of killing for fun (many hunt for fun, very few hunt becaus they must survive )

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
No guns= no hunting.

Good point. This would result in starvation for many species, humans included, and would certainly realign the world population vis-a-vis extinction.