• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would the Nature of Truth Change if Objective Reality Did Not Exist?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Answer: In general, no*.

Figure out why...

(I will explain the answer to the question at a later date.)

*Exceptions would be some variations of the Correspondence Theory of Truth, and some variations of the Verification Theory of Truth. In all other major theories of Truth, the nature of truth does not depend on either the existence or non-existence of an objective reality. This is somewhat analogous to @SalixIncendium's fashion sense, which does not seem to depend on the existence of good taste.

Rational Agnostic

Figure out why...

*Exceptions would be some variations of the Correspondence Theory of Truth, and some variations of the Verification Theory of Truth. In all other major theories of Truth, the nature of truth does not depend on either the existence or non-existence of an objective reality. This is somewhat analogous to @SalixIncendium's fashion sense, which does not seem to depend on the existence of good taste.

How would you define "truth" and "objective reality?"

gnomon

Figure out why...

Does anyone here know the best way to get chewed gum off of your shoe?

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
Just came across it last week. [I don't hang around bugs, as a general rule.] Found it fascinating, along with the other "honorable mentions" of things humans do that mess with others' "minds".
It is a good example of unintended consequences and the effect of human activity on the world. Unlike many of the issues we create this one was easily fixed by changing the bottle. Getting people to stop littering would have been another solution, but that would never happen.

Sorry for veering off topic @Sunstone it is the entomologist in me.

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member

Figure out why...

gnomon

Not sure. It may be subjective and dependent on the gum, where on the shoe and what the shoe material is where the gum is stuck.

Would it be objective to chew it off or subjective based upon who left it there to step on in the first place.

edit: Doesn't matter. I'm drunk and bored.

Here's another helmet to don upon everyone's head.

double edit: If you can't lick it than don't. Unsanitary.

Last edited:

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
Would it be objective to chew it off or subjective based upon who left it there to step on in the first place.

edit: Doesn't matter. I'm drunk and bored.

Here's another helmet to don upon everyone's head.

double edit: If you can't lick it than don't. Unsanitary.
I suppose that would be subjective. It may be someone who has meaning to you that I do not even know exists. Though you may have objective evidence to convince me they exist and even why they might have meaning to you subjectively.

You seem to like to have a few before posting on here. No judgement though, you have your own reasons that I may not know or understand.

When I was young, I drunk called random numbers once or twice. Met a nursing student that way.

gnomon

I suppose that would be subjective. It may be someone who has meaning to you that I do not even know exists. Though you may have objective evidence to convince me they exist and even why they might have meaning to you subjectively.

You seem to like to have a few before posting on here. No judgement though, you have your own reasons that I may not know or understand.

When I was young, I drunk called random numbers once or twice. Met a nursing student that way.

Chewing gum off the bottom of your shoe is definitively both. Why...don't care.

We just have to be patient for the OP.

And no.....you didn't drunk....you drank. No offense by that.

In the meantime.....I'm just waiting for Papa to declare why anyone should "Figure out why".....in an otherwise needless conversation.

MNoBody

truth as a lever would then have no fulcrum against which to apply it
so its use would be transcendent and apart from what we term objective reality

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
This is we'll outside my area of knowledge, but isn't objective reality the truth we seek?

Hi Dan! Thanks for the question.

In common English, the word "truth" is often nearly synonymous with the word "reality". However, that's not the sense of the word as I'm using it in the OP. In the OP, truth is a possible property or condition of a truth-claim. In short, I am using the word as it is used in philosophy, law, and some other fields.

Example. Suppose you make the truth-claim, "There is snow on the ground". There are at least six or so major theories about what could make your truth-claim true. Most of those theories do NOT require the existence of an objective reality for your truth-claim to be true.