• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would socialized medicine in the United States be bad for the rest of the world

yoda89

On Xtended Vacation
The United States currently has the best healthcare in the whole world. The best healthcare but not the best healthcare system. Its conceivable given the amount of resources that the United States has this can be done. But my main idea is not about is it possible. My thought is that if this were to occur it might very well hurt the rest of the world's healthcare. In the United States a more capitalist view is taken on healthcare. Pretty much those with the money are welcome. Those that do not have money can die. It's all about the money. This survival of the fittest approach is often counter to what is seen as "morally good." Yet, it may very well save more lives in the long run.

Better cures are developed when money and fame are offered. Health care is an industry and people are after cash. It's as simple as that and a fact many people do not want to hear. Many of these cures and treatments are given throughout the first world after being developed in America.

Can you make an argument for a compromise perhaps. But lets be honest most people care about fame and fortune. So far this compromise has not been met.

What are your thoughts on the socialization of American medicine and its impact on international health? Keep in mind this is an idea thrown out there.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
We have the best healthcare? Source?
[youtube]qSjGouBmo0M[/youtube]
Skip to about 2:00 in.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
What are your thoughts on the socialization of American medicine and its impact on international health? Keep in mind this is an idea thrown out there.

I'm all for it. It is bound to benefit pretty much everyone.

Alceste

Vagabond
The United States currently has the best healthcare in the whole world. The best healthcare but not the best healthcare system. Its conceivable given the amount of resources that the United States has this can be done. But my main idea is not about is it possible. My thought is that if this were to occur it might very well hurt the rest of the world's healthcare. In the United States a more capitalist view is taken on healthcare. Pretty much those with the money are welcome. Those that do not have money can die. It's all about the money. This survival of the fittest approach is often counter to what is seen as "morally good." Yet, it may very well save more lives in the long run.

Better cures are developed when money and fame are offered. Health care is an industry and people are after cash. It's as simple as that and a fact many people do not want to hear. Many of these cures and treatments are given throughout the first world after being developed in America.

Can you make an argument for a compromise perhaps. But lets be honest most people care about fame and fortune. So far this compromise has not been met.

I think your premises are unsubstantiated. Nobody on earth outside the US conservative echo chamber would describe your health care system as "the best in the world" or argue that American capitalists' contribution to medical innovation and technology are indispensable to the rest of us.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
On the contrary, even. The increasingly elitist and money-oriented health industry has become at the very least a thorn, if not a major problem outright.

The Nordic countries are in many senses far better where health is concerned, albeit perhaps not in a very entertaining way.

Alceste

Vagabond
Map of the human genome: China, France, Germany, Japan, Spain, the UK and the (non-corporate) US.

Alceste

Vagabond
I'm having real trouble finding even one significant contribution American capitalists have made to medical science. (I'm just thinking of stuff and looking up who invented it, by the way.)

freethinker44

I'm having real trouble finding even one significant contribution American capitalists have made to medical science. (I'm just thinking of stuff and looking up who invented it, by the way.)

Silicone breast implant. It may seem superficial, but who needs good health when you have great boobs, am I right? :sarcastic

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Medical Insurance. We excel at that.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This idea that money is the predominant motivator for human behavior is widespread here in the US.
As far as I know, there's little evidence for it, though. Research continues unabated in countries where it's not particularly remunerative. People still go to medical school in countries where physicians are not particularly well paid.