• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would/Should God communicate directly to everyone in the world?

night912

That can never happen because humans are all different so they will always view the SAME evidence from their particular perspectives. So in effect we all have to solve our own cases by looking at the evidence that is there. We might come to the conclusion that the evidence is good enough, or we might conclude that the evidence is insufficient.

But that is what evidence is. There is a standard for something to be considered as evidence, otherwise it's not evidence. It has to be able to demonstrate as being facts and not just assertions. Two pieces of facts can be presented, but both are not necessarily evidence. In order for those facts to be evidence, the facts must be in accordance with the claim/proposition.

Example:
Claim - Tom Brady threw 50 touchdowns in the NFL football game opener last night against the Minnesota Vikings.

(Now for argument sake, these are all true facts with explanation of how those were obtained.)
Facts but not evidence - Tom Brady is a real person, is a NFL quarter back

Facts that are evidence - The game did actually occur, Tom Brady did actually threw 50 touchdowns

The evidence is supporting the claim that Tom Brady threw 50 touchdowns in that particular game.

I guess you mean evidence that God exists. You already know my position on that, Messengers of God and the scriptures they reveal and the religions that are established as the result of their coming are the evidence. Obviously, atheists do not accept this as evidence as they are looking for some other kind of evidence that does not exist, since it is God who is responsible for providing the evidence and Messengers are the only evidence God has ever provided. You might say that Creation is the evidence but since it could be explained in some other way, it is not really very good evidence, except to people who already believe in God.

Nope. Those are not evidence for the claim/proposition that god exist.

Messengers of God - only an assertion, not anything that have been shown as fact

the scriptures they reveal - first, scripture must be shown that it was written and/or revealed by those individuals, second, if that was indeed shown as a fact, the scripture must be shown as a fact that god revealed it to them, otherwise it's just another claim

the religions that are established as the result of their coming - this only shows that the religion exist, not if it's true or not nor the existence of god

Those pieces of "facts" has nothing to do with the claim/proposition that god exist, therefore, they are not evidence.

Also, besides from those being evidence, it's also circular. God is require and/or presupposed to exist in order for the messengers to be actully messengers of god who wrote the scripture and found those religions. And since those are being used to support the existence of god, it's circular.

night912

God interferes with human free will whenever He chooses to because God is All-Powerful. There is no way we can know if/when that happens. We are told in scriptures that God does not interfere when it comes to our beliefs because God wants us to make our own choices.
So you wouldn't know whether or not you have free will when it comes to your beliefs. So god could will you to believe that you made your choice freely and you wouldn't even know it.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
But that is what evidence is. There is a standard for something to be considered as evidence, otherwise it's not evidence. It has to be able to demonstrate as being facts and not just assertions. Two pieces of facts can be presented, but both are not necessarily evidence. In order for those facts to be evidence, the facts must be in accordance with the claim/proposition.

Example:
Claim - Tom Brady threw 50 touchdowns in the NFL football game opener last night against the Minnesota Vikings.

(Now for argument sake, these are all true facts with explanation of how those were obtained.)
Facts but not evidence - Tom Brady is a real person, is a NFL quarter back

Facts that are evidence - The game did actually occur, Tom Brady did actually threw 50 touchdowns

The evidence is supporting the claim that Tom Brady threw 50 touchdowns in that particular game.

Nope. Those are not evidence for the claim/proposition that god exist.

Messengers of God - only an assertion, not anything that have been shown as fact

the scriptures they reveal - first, scripture must be shown that it was written and/or revealed by those individuals, second, if that was indeed shown as a fact, the scripture must be shown as a fact that god revealed it to them, otherwise it's just another claim

the religions that are established as the result of their coming - this only shows that the religion exist, not if it's true or not nor the existence of god

Those pieces of "facts" has nothing to do with the claim/proposition that god exist, therefore, they are not evidence.

Also, besides from those being evidence, it's also circular. God is require and/or presupposed to exist in order for the messengers to be actully messengers of god who wrote the scripture and found those religions. And since those are being used to support the existence of god, it's circular.
What you are describing is proof, but proof is not the same as evidence. Proof establishes something as a fact; evidence indicates that something is the truth.

Proof: evidence or argument establishing or helping to establish a fact or the truth of a statement: https://www.google.com/search

What I have is evidence by the definition of the word evidence. There are no standards for evidence except in courts of law. Religion is not law.

evidence: the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid. https://www.google.com/search

evidence: anything that helps to prove that something is or is not true:
EVIDENCE | definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary

Since my evidence indicates *to me* whether my belief is true and helps to prove *to me* that my beliefs are true it is evidence *to me.*

Since my evidence does not indicate *to you* that my belief is true and does not help to prove *to you* that my belief is true it is not evidence *to you.*

All you can do is decide what evidence is good or bad for you. You cannot define what is good or bad evidence unless you have proof that the evidence is good or bad. You have no proof, all you have is a personal opinion about my evidence.

Your personal opinion that I do not have any good evidence to support my beliefs amounts to nothing more than a personal opinion. It is amazing to me how many people do not understand something this basic.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
So you wouldn't know whether or not you have free will when it comes to your beliefs. So god could will you to believe that you made your choice freely and you wouldn't even know it.
That is a valid point because God does guide people to believe in Him. However, God does not guide people against their own free will. God guides people that God knows want to believe in Him, those spiritually-minded true seekers of truth who make an effort to believe.

“These are among the attributes of the exalted, and constitute the hall-mark of the spiritually-minded. They have already been mentioned in connection with the requirements of the wayfarers that tread the path of Positive Knowledge. When the detached wayfarer and sincere seeker hath fulfilled these essential conditions, then and only then can he be called a true seeker. Whensoever he hath fulfilled the conditions implied in the verse: “Whoso maketh efforts for Us,” he shall enjoy the blessings conferred by the words: “In Our Ways shall We assuredly guide him.”” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 266-267

God might also guide other people who He knows would believe in Him, even if they are not seeking God. That is what happened to me. Could I have chosen not to believe? I don't really know, but if God is All-Powerful I do not think I could have overridden God's Will.

night912

What you are describing is proof, but proof is not the same as evidence. Proof establishes something as a fact; evidence indicates that something is the truth.

Proof: evidence or argument establishing or helping to establish a fact or the truth of a statement: https://www.google.com/search

What I have is evidence by the definition of the word evidence. There are no standards for evidence except in courts of law. Religion is not law.

evidence: the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid. https://www.google.com/search

evidence: anything that helps to prove that something is or is not true:
EVIDENCE | definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary

Since my evidence indicates *to me* whether my belief is true and helps to prove *to me* that my beliefs are true it is evidence *to me.*

Since my evidence does not indicate *to you* that my belief is true and does not help to prove *to you* that my belief is true it is not evidence *to you.*

All you can do is decide what evidence is good or bad for you. You cannot define what is good or bad evidence unless you have proof that the evidence is good or bad. You have no proof, all you have is a personal opinion about my evidence.

Your personal opinion that I do not have any good evidence to support my beliefs amounts to nothing more than a personal opinion. It is amazing to me how many people do not understand something this basic.

Like you said, it's so basic, yet you can't seem to understand what evidence is. I'm using the simple example so I can demonstrate to you what is considered as evidence. Don't know how you got "proof" out of that.

I don't see how you can't understand what evidence is even after providing the definition. I'll repost your definition.

evidence: the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.

I underlined the importance of the words. Note how it says "facts" and not assertion. Also note how it must relate to the proposition. That shows how evidence do require standards and for something to be called evidence. I've even gave examples of facts that cannot be considered as evidence.

I responded to your post relating to atheists not accepting your assertions as evidence because they are looking for some other evidence. Atheists don't accept them because they are not evidence. And I agree that the conclusion can be formulate differently among individuals. But key word here is "evidence." No evidence was presented.

Evidence is evidence, it doesn't matter if it's use in a court of law or to simply support a claim. There are standards for evidence so that irrelevant information isn't used as evidence, otherwise anybody can just spew out any nonsense and call it evidence. And since you brought up proof concerning evidence. It's not an opinion if have shown proof for the information you provide as not being evidence. You're welcome to try and come up with a rebuttal. Just don't repeat your same information without addressing my points. I had evidence to support my points, where as you had nothing except for claiming it's only my opinion.

Shad

Veteran Member
So you're back to just using the illogical UFO reasoning.

"I just saw an Unidentified Flying Object. I don't know what it was but it's an alien ship."

If you don't know or understand what it is, then you don't know or understand what it is. You don't know what a divine mind is, but you know that a messenger have divine mind. Irrational way of reasoning.

That is called dogma. He has to follow convoluted logic or his must reject his religion

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Like you said, it's so basic, yet you can't seem to understand what evidence is. I'm using the simple example so I can demonstrate to you what is considered as evidence. Don't know how you got "proof" out of that.

I don't see how you can't understand what evidence is even after providing the definition. I'll repost your definition.

evidence: the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.
I have a body of facts and information that surround the Revelation of Baha'u'llah, including many facts about His early life and what He did on His mission, and I have Bible prophecies that were fulfilled by His coming and predictions He made that came to pass, so I have evidence. I also have scriptures that were written which is information indicating whether He was a Messenger of God, so that is also evidence.

I posted the definition of proof to show that evidence is not the same as proof. I am not asserting that I have proof that Baha'u'llah was a Messenger of God, because that is not provable. All I ever said is that I have evidence.
I responded to your post relating to atheists not accepting your assertions as evidence because they are looking for some other evidence. Atheists don't accept them because they are not evidence.
Atheists do not accept my evidence because they do not LIKE the idea of Messengers of God as being evidence for God's existence. They want objective proof that God exists, not evidence.
Evidence is evidence, it doesn't matter if it's use in a court of law or to simply support a claim. There are standards for evidence so that irrelevant information isn't used as evidence, otherwise anybody can just spew out any nonsense and call it evidence.
What are the standards for religious evidence and who sets those standards?

Last edited:

night912

I have a body of facts and information that surround the Revelation of Baha'u'llah, including many facts about His early life and what He did on His mission, and I have Bible prophecies that were fulfilled by His coming and predictions He made that came to pass, so I have evidence. I also have scriptures that were written which is information indicating whether He was a Messenger of God, so that is also evidence.
Read my post again

I posted the definition of proof to show that evidence is not the same as proof. I am not asserting that I have proof that Baha'u'llah was a Messenger of God, because that is not provable. All I ever said is that I have evidence.
And when did I say that evidence is the same as proof. And when did I say that you were asserting that you had proof?

Atheists do not accept my evidence because they do not LIKE the idea of Messengers of God as being evidence for God's existence. They want objective proof that God exists, not evidence.
Instead of making assertion, try providing evidence.

What are the standards for religious evidence and who sets those standards?
What makes you think that religion is that special to have its own standard for evidence? All evidence have the same standard. Read your definition of evidence again. I even reposted it. Pay attention to the underlined words this time.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Instead of making assertion, try providing evidence.
I have made no assertions.
I have provided evidence on this forum many times but I see no point in doing it again since nobody thinks it is evidence.
What makes you think that religion is that special to have its own standard for evidence? All evidence have the same standard.
What makes you think all evidence has the same standards? Apparently nobody on the internet holds religion to the same standards of evidence as science or law.
Read your definition of evidence again. I even reposted it. Pay attention to the underlined words this time.
I think I have what was underlined and I pointed out why. There is a body of facts and information indicating that Baha'u'llah was a true Messenger of God.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
The moment God can intervene in our free will as he pleases and we do not know what actions could interfere with a prophecy then there can't be free will in any meaningful way.

The fact that God can override free will since God is All-Powerful is a moot point. That does not mean that God does override free will and nobody could ever know if or when He does. If there is no such thing as free will then nobody can be held accountable for their actions. That would mean that all of the court system is a sham. You might want to read this:
Free WIll, Determinism, and the Criminal Justice System
That is why, I wrote that with time and knowledge about the human brain and what might cause some people to behave or have these desires while others don't While some choose to act on them and others don't, will eventually get rid of the idea of evil, because it will be replaced by a better understanding of why humans do these things.
From my point of view it does not matter why they do these things, unless they are mentally ill, mentally challenged or have some kind of brain damage, they are accountable in a court of law and so they are responsible for their actions. Having a bad childhood or whatever is no excuse because many people have bad childhoods and do not choose to do these acts. There has to be justice, punishments according to the crimes, not revenge, not forgiveness, or the whole social order would disintegrate.

Here is a website entitled Justice and Punishment that explains the Baha’i view using quotes from the Baha’i Writings.
Well God didn't send anyone to instruct them to do otherwise.
God has always sent Messengers to instruct them to do otherwise. Everyone knows what the Bible is and that is not the only religious scripture that has moral teachings.
My point being, that we judge these people based on what we think is morally right. Which have little to nothing to do with what these people think. It doesn't make them evil, it simply illustrate that morally does not come from God, but is developed independently from humans to humans, based on what condition one is living under and what society one live in.
That might be true that people learn morality from other humans but originally it came from God through religions.
Morality or lack there of is developed based on what belief is in a given society at a given point, it would be irrational to think that morals would develop if people in that society did not agree or see the meaning in why something is morally wrong and ought to be changed.

So the way I see it, its a struggle between desires and the ability to suppress them.
That is true and that is why the justice system is based upon what is commonly accepted by society as right and wrong. So the way I see it, people are responsible to suppress their desires especially if they can be harmful to other people. It’s too bad if it is more difficult for some of them. You are too kind.
But I don't think that it changes the fact, that if one were to remove the bible as a whole and claim that it was no the least truth, then one ought to be an atheist. Because rejecting it, pretty much ruins the foundation for all the major religions, as there is nothing to go on. And would make it possible for anyone to just make up stuff about God as they please.

Also it would be pointless even using the bible and its verses to try to explain anything. And this is where faith enters the picture, because obviously one have to decide whether to believe that the bible tells the story of God the creator and Jesus and so forth or if it nothing, but made up stuff.
That might be true for people in the western world but what about Buddhists and Hindus and Muslims? They have their own scriptures.

I think there is a middle ground. I think we can try to determine how we will interpret the Bible and how much of it to interpret literally.
I know you do not care about it. But I think that would leave your beliefs somewhat amputated in regards to content and structure. Because what is the creation story according to Bahai faith?.. There is no reason to assume that any of the prophets in the bible ever existed and therefore no basis to assume that the messengers that you believe in is true either are there?
The Creation story presented in Genesis is figurative not literal according to Baha’i beliefs. In short, we believe that God and His creation have always existed but humans evolved over time, and at some point in evolution humans became endowed with a soul which is what makes them human. We believe that the prophets in the Bible existed.
I know you disagree with this, but you picking out things from the bible which you agree is definitely true, while at the same time, "wishing" for all the bibles to be burned, is a type of rational thinking, I have ever heard from you
C:\Users\Home\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif
I know people of other religious pick and choose as well, but at least they can admit that there are certain passages in the bible that are confusing and complicated, but yet it doesn't mean that they should just be disregarded to the extend, that you seem willing to do.
I have been overreacting lately because the Bible is being shoved down my throat, not by you but by others on forums. I am tired of hearing about it; I do not shove the Baha’i scriptures at people and expect people to accept them as the Word of God just because I believe they are. Sure, the Bible is old and it has a track record and Baha’i doesn’t, but that does not mean the Bible is any truer than the Baha’i Writings, and what about the Qur’an? 22% of people in the world are Muslims, 33% are Christians and Jews and by 2060 Muslims will take a larger share of the world population than Christians and Jews. Yet the Qur’an gets no attention even though it is MUCH more authentic than the Bible.
I think for most atheists, it doesn't really matter much that it is religious beliefs, but rather beliefs in general, which are unsupported, but claimed as being true, that is the issue.
I understand why they think that way. It is a different way of thinking but I think atheists overlook the evidence for religion as it relates to civilization:

“The greatest bestowal of God in the world of humanity is religion; for assuredly the divine teachings of religion are above all other sources of instruction and development to man. Religion confers upon man eternal life and guides his footsteps in the world of morality. It opens the doors of unending happiness and bestows everlasting honor upon the human kingdom. It has been the basis of all civilization and progress in the history of mankind.

We will therefore investigate religion, seeking from an unprejudiced standpoint to discover whether it is the source of illumination, the cause of development and the animating impulse of all human advancement. We will investigate independently, free from the restrictions of dogmatic beliefs, blind imitations of ancestral forms, and the influence of mere human opinion; for as we enter this question we will find some who declare that religion is a cause of uplift and betterment in the world, while others assert just as positively that it is a detriment and a source of degradation to mankind. We must give these questions thorough and impartial consideration so that no doubt or uncertainty may linger in our minds regarding them.” Bahá’í World Faith, p. 270

If you read this chapter in its entirety you will get a broad overview of the Baha’i viewpoint on religion in general, within the context of history and its relationship to present day society.

RELIGION AND CIVILIZATION
. What makes religious beliefs different, is the impact it can have on other peoples life, how it can convince people to behave in certain ways, which is sometimes harmful. That to me, requires justifications from those claiming these truth. And if they can't, Ill fight them, not because of their beliefs, but because of the harm they cause to others.
But what about religious beliefs that help people lead good lives?
It probably fits well with a God and him being there ...IF there is a soul and afterlife, but if there isn't and since we have no evidence for them to exists, then to me at least, God is not needed and the explanations can be found else where.
I think there is evidence for a soul and an afterlife but not what you consider evidence. God is not needed to explain everything but if God exists that explains most everything.
Throwing in God, because one need there to be a soul and afterlife to explain suffering is wrong as I see it. Because suffering is perfectly explainable through human behavior and natural causes without the need of a God.
It is true that suffering is explainable through human behavior and natural causes, but how you can believe there can be any justice I do not know since we rarely get justice in this world.
But the different is, that if we can acknowledge that, we also know that we can fix it or reduce it, if we put effort into it. Its not a mystery that needs to be solved, but rather changes to how we do things. Expand our knowledge in areas for which we still do not have a complete understanding. God have very little to nothing to offer in this regard.
I can agree with that with that and that is a Baha’i view. What we would add is that a spiritual education needs to be in place in order for humans to change and fix and reduce the suffering.

“However, it should be recognized that the ultimate solution to the problems of humanity lies not in penalties and punishments, but rather in spiritual education and illumination. ‘Abdu’l-Bahá has written: ”It is incumbent upon human society to expend all its forces on the education of the people, and to copiously enter men’s hearts with the sacred streams that pour down from the Realm of the All-Merciful, and to teach them the manners of Heaven and spiritual ways of life, until every member of the community of man will be schooled, refined, and exalted to such a degree of perfection that the very committing of a shameful act will seem in itself the direst infliction and most agonizing of punishments, and man will fly in terror and seek refuge in his God from the very idea of crime, as something far harsher and more grievous than the punishment assigned to it.” (From a letter written on behalf of the Universal House of Justice to an individual believer, 24 January 1993)

Justice and Punishment

Nimos

The fact that God can override free will since God is All-Powerful is a moot point. That does not mean that God does override free will and nobody could ever know if or when He does.
Exactly and since we can only assume that if prophecies are to be fulfilled, either the path laid out for them have been determined by God or God interfere with whatever could prevent a prophecy from fulfillment then free will is irrelevant and not possible.

If we look at the definition of free will:
the power of acting without the constraint of necessity or fate; the ability to act at one's own discretion.

One can not be said to act without constrain or at one's own discretion, if God interfere.

If there is no such thing as free will then nobody can be held accountable for their actions. That would mean that all of the court system is a sham.
That I think is a discussion of its own, whereas what we just talked about is whether free will and prophecies are compatible.
But it is true that, one could argue that our court system is a sham, and in many cases it is. Its not an equal system, those with lots of money to buy good lawyers are more likely to get reduced punishment or even to go free, than those who can't. People of different races also occasionally suffers from injustice. Those which are considered of "higher" importance than others, also seems to be able to get away with more, than the average person. so there are lots of problems to be found here.

In regards to free will, you will undoubtedly run into issues as well. If a person is born with a mental issue, which makes them unable to feel remorse or sympathy for other peoples suffering, and therefore unable to understand that they are doing something wrong when committing a crime. Is it then justice to punish them on equal terms as one who is capable of this? And is it fair to point at such person in judgement, when it was something they were born with and was not of their own choosing. All of this raises a lot of moral issues, that we as society have to deal with.

Which to me is also why we as humans ought to spend a lot more energy in making sure that we are better suited to spot people with such conditions and to help them before they end up committing a crime. The justice system is not all that effective at preventing crimes from happening, as its one that deal with the aftermath of a crime. Obviously the fear of getting punished will help reduce crimes, but people suffering from mental issues, might not really react to this as that is not, what is needed in order to help them. This is a very difficult topic I think, and not one where the answer is black and white as I see it.

From my point of view it does not matter why they do these things, unless they are mentally ill, mentally challenged or have some kind of brain damage, they are accountable in a court of law and so they are responsible for their actions.
I was talking about the idea of evil and not whether someone ought to be punished or not. But I would agree with you that people ought to be punished for such things.

But again, as mentioned above, I would like to see more effort being put into preventing these things from happening in the first place, rather than having to wait for things to go wrong first.

That might be true for people in the western world but what about Buddhists and Hindus and Muslims? They have their own scriptures.
That is obviously because they do not accept the full teachings of the bible. In regards to the Muslims, they do acknowledge the bible and a lot of the stories, so if it went away, the foundation for Islam would go as well. In regards to Buddhists, a lot of them are actually atheists. Hindus follow their own religion, and don't know that much about it. But I don't think they acknowledge the bible, but since their religion is not based on it, they obviously wouldn't be atheists for not doing so either.

I have been overreacting lately because the Bible is being shoved down my throat, not by you but by others on forums. I am tired of hearing about it; I do not shove the Baha’i scriptures at people and expect people to accept them as the Word of God just because I believe they are. Sure, the Bible is old and it has a track record and Baha’i doesn’t, but that does not mean the Bible is any truer than the Baha’i Writings, and what about the Qur’an? 22% of people in the world are Muslims, 33% are Christians and Jews and by 2060 Muslims will take a larger share of the world population than Christians and Jews. Yet the Qur’an gets no attention even though it is MUCH more authentic than the Bible.
As I mentioned to you before, the reason I focus on the bible is because that is the foundation for the Islam as well, in fact some of the passages in the Quran are so similar to the bible that you would not know which of them it came from. Had I read the Quran, I would have no issue using that for the discussion rather than the bible.

If you read this chapter in its entirety you will get a broad overview of the Baha’i viewpoint on religion in general, within the context of history and its relationship to present day society.
I read it and I think it would require a detailed walked through as I have to say I disagree with most of it. But to give some examples:

How shall we determine whether religion has been the cause of human advancement or retrogression?

Among the great prophets was His Holiness Abraham who....
It is evident that throughout the history of Abraham and His posterity this was the source of their honor, advancement and civilization. Even today the descendants of His household and lineage are found throughout the world.

There is no evidence for Abraham ever having existed, so making it sound like "Even today the descendants.." is something evidently, is just not right.

While they were in the condition of abject poverty, in the lowest degree of abasement, ignorance and servility His Holiness Moses suddenly appeared among them.
He led them to the Holy Land and founded there a great civilization which has become permanent and renowned and under which these people attained the highest degree of honor and glory.
The deeds of Moses are conclusive evidences of His prophethood. If a man be fair, unbiased and willing to investigate reality he will undoubtedly testify to the fact that Moses was verily a man of God and a great personage.

There are no evidence of Moses ever having existed either and also no evidence of a huge amount of people travelling from Egypt to Israel at the time. It seems very wrong to call it "conclusive evidence" when his existence can't even be confirmed.

But what about religious beliefs that help people lead good lives?
I would not deny that religion can't have a positive effect on some people, that is not the issue I have, its when these religious views starts to be proclaimed as being the truth and therefore others have to follow them as well. As I think, I have mentioned to you before, is that I don't care what others choose to believe in or not. But when such beliefs starts causing harm, then I don't think they are fine.

It is true that suffering is explainable through human behavior and natural causes, but how you can believe there can be any justice I do not know since we rarely get justice in this world.
But who say that there has to be justice besides humans? Nature is clearly not following the rules of justice, a new born zebra getting eating by a group of lions or a cat playing with a mouse, before eating it or a tsunami killing thousands of people. You never see anyone calling to the sky or yelling at nature for justice. Justice is something we have invented because we are emotional beings, that gets offended or hurt when we experience something we think is bad or unfair.
Personally I think this is due to several things, first of all because we are very altruistic beings, much more than the average animal. Secondly, because we can project others emotions unto ourselves, much like when we are watching a movie and even though we know that its not real, we can relate and feel with the actors and what they are experiencing. So seeing someone in dire needs we can relate to it and therefore feel a need to intervene. Last I think there are some egoistic meaning to it as well, we don't like seeing bad things, like people killing each other in the streets or mistreating each other, because it makes us feel unsafe, so such behavior need to be punished so we don't have to deal or see it anymore. So its both a way to protect us and those we love from physical harm, but also from the emotional experiences that comes from it.
Putting it all together, we feel that justice is needed, because it makes us feel better in the end.

Last edited:

Pudding

So now you are saying that even if it is not a duty for God to communicate directly to everyone, God might communicate directly to everyone for other reasons. But it is not the reasons God might do that I am interested in, it is whether or not God has an obligation/duty to communicate directly to everyone. So do you think it is *reasonable* to expect God (if God exists) to communicate directly to everyone? That was my question and it is based upon the fact that some atheists think that God would/should communicate directly to everyone if God existed because God owes everyone a direct message rather than a message that comes indirectly through Messengers/Prophets.
I've already answer that. You don't need to ask again.
:handpointdown::handpointdown::handpointdown:
2. Do you think it is *reasonable* to expect God (if God exists) to communicate directly to everyone?
  • If you think that is a reasonable expectation, please explain why you think so.
  • If you think it is an unreasonable expectation, please explain why you think so.
My answer is depend on whether or not it's a duty or commitment for God to communicate directly to everyone. I'll separate the hypothetical question in 2 scenarios and answer your question.

Q: (If God exists and if it's a duty for God to communicate directly to everyone) Do you think it is reasonable to expect God to communicate directly to everyone?
A: Yes. I think it is reasonable to expect God to communicate directly to everyone, because it's a duty for God to do so.

Q: (If God exists and if it's not a duty for God to communicate directly to everyone) Do you think it is reasonable to expect God to communicate directly to everyone?
A: No. I think it is not reasonable to expect God to communicate directly to everyone, because it's not a duty for God to do so.

I understand your point. It might be reasonable for God communicate directly to everyone for any number of reasons. I was trying to hone in on the obligation aspect. Would it be reasonable for God communicate directly to everyone just because some atheists want God to do so, even if God does not choose to do so (obviously, since that is not what we have ever seen)?
Atheists don't believe God exists, therefor they cannot want God to do anything.
It's like saying atheists want Batman and Superman to go to their house and have afternoon tea together. That's totally absurb and irrational. You have some serious misunderstanding if you really think that some atheists want God to do anything.

You just made a very good point. From an atheist viewpoint, god does not exist so god is an imaginary being like a Blue Unicorn. Moreover, atheists have no conception of what god would be like if god did exist, so they know no more about God than they know about Blue Unicorns. So do you think it is rational for an atheist to say that “as a matter of reason, the expectation would be that an omnipotent/omniscient god would communicate directly to everyone” or do you think that is a bold and empty claim?
The term "atheist" simply means: a person who don't have the belief that at least one god exists as real being.
Some atheists who have the belief that all gods don't exist, the label for them is strong atheist.
Some other atheists who don't have the belief that all gods don't exist, the label for them is soft atheist.
List of god

There are many conceptions of gods describing by many religions, which is a way to inform atheists about the conceptions of those gods (regardless any one of those god exists or not). Theists would only have fiction conception of what god would be like if god didn't exist.

I don't know what kinds of "matter of reason" you're referring to in your question, thus making your question vague and unanswerable.

Here is what you said:

Q: (If God exists and if it's a duty for God to communicate directly to everyone) Do you think that rational people would expect God to communicate directly to everyone?
A: Yes. I think that rational people would expect God to communicate directly to everyone, because it's a duty for God to communicate directly to everyone.

Q: (If God exists and if it's not a duty for God to communicate directly to everyone) Do you think that rational people would expect God to communicate directly to everyone?
A: No. I think that rational people wouldn't expect God to communicate directly to everyone, because it's not a duty for God to communicate directly to everyone.

So to summarize that, if it is not God’s duty to communicate directly to everyone, then it is not reasonable to expect God to communicate directly to everyone. If it is not God’s duty to communicate directly to everyone, then rational people wouldn't expect God to communicate directly to everyone.

If you want to withdraw what you said before and say you think that rational people would expect God to communicate directly to everyone because it's a duty for God to communicate directly to everyone please explain why you think it is a duty.
I'm answering the question on two different hypothetical scenarios.
(1) If god exists and if it's a duty for God to communicate directly to everyone.
(2) If god exists and if it's not a duty for God to communicate directly to everyone.

I've no need to withdraw what i said before. Those two different hypothetical scenarios are base on two different sets of hypothetical premises, which all of those premises in hypothetical scenarios (1) and (2) have been back up by 0 evidence that any of those premises are real event happening in the world.

It's a duty or not, is totally depend on whether the hypothetical scenario include the hypothetical premise "It's a duty" or "It's not a duty".

As a reminder, i do not believe/think any one of those hypothetical scenarios are fact. And i hadn't said i believe/think any one of those hypothetical scenarios are fact.

It's absurd if you want to argue with me which one of those hypothetical imaginary scenarios is fact.
It's absurd if you want me to explain why i think any one of those hypothetical imaginary scenarios is fact.

I don't take any one of those hypothetical imaginary scenarios as fact, period.

Are you trying to make a point that God should come on down to earth and talk and explain what His duties are, instead of sending Messengers who explain that, because IF you are making that point I have to tell you it is silly because God cannot come to earth and that is one reason why God sends Messengers to represent Him.
No, i'm not saying God should come on down to earth and talk and explain what His duties are. Just that those Gods (regardless any one of them exists or not) are silence and invisible, while a lot of self-appointed true messengers/believers made the claims to say it's a God's duty or not a duty according to a lot of different stories.

Your opinion that "God cannot come to earth and that is one reason why God sends Messengers to represent Him" which you provide no evidence to support it's validity of, is duly noted. Not even do you provide any evidence that this God exists as real being.

I understand your point, but the existence of God cannot be proven in any objective way so belief in God has to be based upon faith and knowledge that comes through the Messengers of God.
Sure, you believe that God cannot be proven in any objective way, so please don't expect me to take this invisible God seriously, thank you.

And belief in God has to be based upon faith and knowledge that comes through the Messengers of God?
Your opinion is once again duly noted. You have provided 0 evidence to back up your opinion about this God. So once again, please don't expect me to take your opinion seriously, thank you.

You are proving the point I want to make. For an atheist to say that God SHOULD/WOULD communicate directly to everyone if god existed is absurd on its face, yet I have been listening to an atheist say this over and over and over again for over five years... “If god were real god would/should communicate directly to everyone, because then everyone in the world would believe in God” as if he even knows that God would want everyone to believe in Him. What he believes in is an imaginary god he has made in his own image and he seems to think he knows exactly what this god’s goals are and how god should accomplish them. He might as well take over for God since he is setting God’s agenda for God.
No, just that some theists say that "God wants everyone to believe in Him. God is omnipotent. God is benevolent/love", then some atheists discuss about this God hypothetically that what/how this God will do/act according to those theists' conceptions of characteristics of Gods.

What I mean by communication is sending everyone a message, the equivalent of a revelation such as the Bible. Should every single person on earth get their own full book of scriptures whispered into their ear? Is that a reasonable thing for God to do? Could everyone understand God and write all that down? Then what would happen? Would that make the world a better place? Is there a good reason why they cannot just all refer to the scriptures that God has made available?
Yes, (if God/Flying Spagetti Monster/Blue Unicorn exist), should every single person on earth get their own full book of scriptures whispered into their ear? Is that a reasonable thing for God/Flying Spagetti Monster/Blue Unicorn to do? Could everyone understand God/Flying Spagetti Monster/Blue Unicorn and write all that down? Then what would happen? Would that make the world a better place? Is there a good reason why they cannot just all refer to the scriptures that God/Flying Spagetti Monster/Blue Unicorn has made available?
So are you saying that since we do not have proof that god exists my questions are moot?
Sort of, but just replace the term "proof" with "evidence". My questions (add in Flying Spagetti Monster/Blue Unicorn) are to point out the absurdity of your questions related to God. All of them (God, Flying Spagetti Monster and Blue Unicorn) are silence and invisible, all of their existence cannot be proven by evidence. There is 0 evidence provided to prove they're real. And you expect me to take your questions seriously? Lol.

Anyway, i have had enough of talking about the hypothetical imaginary God/Flying Spagetti Monster/Blue Unicorn. I'm done with this thread, goodbye.

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
and science believes in things not proven
can't be proven
just strong suspicions
dark energy
dark matter

gotta be there
our written beliefs (numbers) tell us all we want to know

but we want to know

we don't really know

but we are pretty sure

we have it all in writing

just happens to be numbers that only a chosen few can understand

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I posted this thread to get some opinions from atheists. I appreciate your responses, but I am not going to ask you any more questions. I just want to address a few points you made and I do not expect you to respond, since you said you were done with this thread.
List of god

There are many conceptions of gods describing by many religions, which is a way to inform atheists about the conceptions of those gods (regardless any one of those god exists or not). Theists would only have fiction conception of what god would be like if god didn't exist.
I do not know if that is what you were implying, but logically speaking, just because there are many different conceptions of gods that does not mean that one or more conception is not accurate. That would be like saying that just because there are many different cars in the used car lot that are not reliable, there cannot be one or more cars that are reliable.
I don't know what kinds of "matter of reason" you're referring to in your question, thus making your question vague and unanswerable.
That was not coming from me; it came from my atheist poster. He thinks everything is “a matter of reason” and he thinks he can reason and theists cannot reason. He thinks that it is a matter of reason that if god existed, god would communicate directly with everyone in the world instead of using messengers because a real God would not use the same method that imaginary gods use, messengers. In other words, because there are many false messengers a real God would not use a messenger because a real God would not expect people to be able to distinguish between the true messengers and the false messengers.
As a reminder, i do not believe/think any one of those hypothetical scenarios are fact. And i hadn't said i believe/think any one of those hypothetical scenarios are fact.

It's absurd if you want to argue with me which one of those hypothetical imaginary scenarios is fact.
It's absurd if you want me to explain why i think any one of those hypothetical imaginary scenarios is fact.

I don't take any one of those hypothetical imaginary scenarios as fact, period.
I know you do not consider any of those hypothetical scenarios a fact. If they were a fact, they would not be hypothetical.
No, i'm not saying God should come on down to earth and talk and explain what His duties are. Just that those Gods (regardless any one of them exists or not) are silence and invisible, while a lot of self-appointed true messengers/believers made the claims to say it's a God's duty or not a duty according to a lot of different stories.

Your opinion that "God cannot come to earth and that is one reason why God sends Messengers to represent Him" which you provide no evidence to support it's validity of, is duly noted. Not even do you provide any evidence that this God exists as real being.
The purpose of this thread was not to provide evidence for God’s existence. There is evidence, but no proof. The Messengers of God and the scriptures that were written are the evidence. I know atheists do not consider these evidence, but they are the only evidence God provides. Logically speaking, we cannot gte any evidence ourselves since God is inaccessible, so we have to rely upon what God provides. If people do not like it then they do not have to accept it and they can be atheists.
Sure, you believe that God cannot be proven in any objective way, so please don't expect me to take this invisible God seriously, thank you.
I never expected you or anyone to take God seriously. How could you take seriously what you do not believe exists? I do not take Blue Unicorns seriously. I only take God seriously because I believe that God exists.
And belief in God has to be based upon faith and knowledge that comes through the Messengers of God?

Your opinion is once again duly noted. You have provided 0 evidence to back up your opinion about this God. So once again, please don't expect me to take your opinion seriously, thank you.
It was not the purpose of this thread to provide evidence for God, and no, I do not expect you to take my opinion about God seriously. Heck, I have "believed' that God exists for 49 years and I only started to take what I believe about God seriously during the last seven years.
No, just that some theists say that "God wants everyone to believe in Him. God is omnipotent. God is benevolent/love", then some atheists discuss about this God hypothetically that what/how this God will do/act according to those theists' conceptions of characteristics of Gods.
Yes, I know that, but as a theist I do not claim that God wants everyone to believe in Him; God only wants people who want to believe in Him to believe in Him and that is one reason God will never communicate directly to everyone, making it obvious that He exists.
Sort of, but just replace the term "proof" with "evidence". My questions (add in Flying Spagetti Monster/Blue Unicorn) are to point out the absurdity of your questions related to God. All of them (God, Flying Spagetti Monster and Blue Unicorn) are silence and invisible, all of their existence cannot be proven by evidence. There is 0 evidence provided to prove they're real. And you expect me to take your questions seriously? Lol.
As I said above, the only evidence we have is the evidence that God provides, the Messengers he sends. It has been this way from the dawn of human history so I do not expect that God is suddenly going to do an about face and provide some other kind of evidence just because a very small percentage of the population does not consider Messengers of God to be adequate evidence. It does not work that way. Humans cannot order an omnipotent God around.

So Imo the rational thing for atheists to do is either look at the evidence God provides or withhold their belief in God.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Exactly and since we can only assume that if prophecies are to be fulfilled, either the path laid out for them have been determined by God or God interfere with whatever could prevent a prophecy from fulfillment then free will is irrelevant and not possible.

If we look at the definition of free will:
the power of acting without the constraint of necessity or fate; the ability to act at one's own discretion.

One can not be said to act without constrain or at one's own discretion, if God interfere.
I agree. Either the path laid out for them has been determined by God or God interferes with whatever could prevent a prophecy from fulfillment.
That I think is a discussion of its own, whereas what we just talked about is whether free will and prophecies are compatible.
But it is true that, one could argue that our court system is a sham, and in many cases it is. Its not an equal system, those with lots of money to buy good lawyers are more likely to get reduced punishment or even to go free, than those who can't. People of different races also occasionally suffers from injustice. Those which are considered of "higher" importance than others, also seems to be able to get away with more, than the average person. so there are lots of problems to be found here.
I am sure that there are lots of problems within the justice system, but it is the only justice we can get in THIS world. In the future, I think it will be more equitable for poor people and those of different races, but that will be a long way off.
In regards to free will, you will undoubtedly run into issues as well. If a person is born with a mental issue, which makes them unable to feel remorse or sympathy for other peoples suffering, and therefore unable to understand that they are doing something wrong when committing a crime. Is it then justice to punish them on equal terms as one who is capable of this? And is it fair to point at such person in judgement, when it was something they were born with and was not of their own choosing. All of this raises a lot of moral issues, that we as society have to deal with.
If there are people born that way because of a physical brain defect I think it is a very small percentage of people who commit heinous crimes. If some people do not know they are doing wrong when committing a crime it has to be asked why they don’t know and most people do. If they simply do not have a conscience does that mean they are not to be held accountable? Where would that end?

Are we to say that psychopaths and sociopaths are not responsible for their actions? In my opinion, unless they have a physical brain defect they are responsible and that is what the justice system also says.

Which to me is also why we as humans ought to spend a lot more energy in making sure that we are better suited to spot people with such conditions and to help them before they end up committing a crime.

That is rather idealistic because some of these people cannot be helped because they do not want help. Rather, they live to do evil, as Baha’u’llah said, and they will be judged accordingly.
The justice system is not all that effective at preventing crimes from happening, as its one that deal with the aftermath of a crime. Obviously the fear of getting punished will help reduce crimes, but people suffering from mental issues, might not really react to this as that is not, what is needed in order to help them. This is a very difficult topic I think, and not one where the answer is black and white as I see it.
Yes, it is a difficult topic and it involves the mental health system as well as the justice system. Some people could be helped and others not.
I was talking about the idea of evil and not whether someone ought to be punished or not. But I would agree with you that people ought to be punished for such things.

But again, as mentioned above, I would like to see more effort being put into preventing these things from happening in the first place, rather than having to wait for things to go wrong first.
Agreed.
As I mentioned to you before, the reason I focus on the bible is because that is the foundation for the Islam as well, in fact some of the passages in the Quran are so similar to the bible that you would not know which of them it came from. Had I read the Quran, I would have no issue using that for the discussion rather than the bible.
Okay, fair enough.
I read it and I think it would require a detailed walked through as I have to say I disagree with most of it. But to give some examples:

How shall we determine whether religion has been the cause of human advancement or retrogression?

Among the great prophets was His Holiness Abraham who....
It is evident that throughout the history of Abraham and His posterity this was the source of their honor, advancement and civilization. Even today the descendants of His household and lineage are found throughout the world.

There is no evidence for Abraham ever having existed, so making it sound like "Even today the descendants.." is something evidently, is just not right.
Well, therein lies the difference between atheists and religious people. Of course, the Baha’i Faith is an Abrahamic religion, so we believe that Abraham existed. Baha’u’llah wrote about Him in The Kitab-i-Iqan.
While they were in the condition of abject poverty, in the lowest degree of abasement, ignorance and servility His Holiness Moses suddenly appeared among them.
He led them to the Holy Land and founded there a great civilization which has become permanent and renowned and under which these people attained the highest degree of honor and glory.
The deeds of Moses are conclusive evidences of His prophethood. If a man be fair, unbiased and willing to investigate reality he will undoubtedly testify to the fact that Moses was verily a man of God and a great personage.

There are no evidence of Moses ever having existed either and also no evidence of a huge amount of people travelling from Egypt to Israel at the time. It seems very wrong to call it "conclusive evidence" when his existence can't even be confirmed.
I will repeat the same thing I said about Abraham. Therein lies the difference between atheists and religious people. Of course, the Baha’i Faith is an Abrahamic religion, so we believe that Abraham existed. Baha’u’llah wrote about Him in The Kitáb-i-Íqán. If you want to read what He said about Abraham or Moses, just enter their names into the search box.

It seems rather odd to me that you say this because you talk about the OT as if it were true, but with no Abraham or Moses all the main stories fall apart.

Now, is the next thing you will say is that there is no evidence for Jesus?
I would not deny that religion can't have a positive effect on some people, that is not the issue I have, its when these religious views starts to be proclaimed as being the truth and therefore others have to follow them as well. As I think, I have mentioned to you before, is that I don't care what others choose to believe in or not. But when such beliefs starts causing harm, then I don't think they are fine.
I do not think anyone should ever be forced to follow religious beliefs, it should always be a choice. This is not only a Baha’i belief, Muhammad also said it.
But who say that there has to be justice besides humans? Nature is clearly not following the rules of justice, a new born zebra getting eating by a group of lions or a cat playing with a mouse, before eating it or a tsunami killing thousands of people. You never see anyone calling to the sky or yelling at nature for justice.
You have a good point about animals. God does not seem to care about them so sometimes I wonder why God created them at all. Most Abrahamic religious people say that animals were created for humans, God did everything for humans, but I find that explanation unsatisfactory. If I have any bones to pick this one is it, the suffering and death of animals. It has never been revealed in scriptures that animals have an afterlife, but that is still possible.
Justice is something we have invented because we are emotional beings, that gets offended or hurt when we experience something we think is bad or unfair.

Personally I think this is due to several things, first of all because we are very altruistic beings, much more than the average animal. Secondly, because we can project others emotions unto ourselves, much like when we are watching a movie and even though we know that its not real, we can relate and feel with the actors and what they are experiencing. So seeing someone in dire needs we can relate to it and therefore feel a need to intervene. Last I think there are some egoistic meaning to it as well, we don't like seeing bad things, like people killing each other in the streets or mistreating each other, because it makes us feel unsafe, so such behavior need to be punished so we don't have to deal or see it anymore. So its both a way to protect us and those we love from physical harm, but also from the emotional experiences that comes from it.
Putting it all together, we feel that justice is needed, because it makes us feel better in the end.
I would agree that one reason justice is important to humans is because we are emotional beings who get offended or hurt when we experience something we think is bad or unfair and we are very altruistic beings, more so than the animals. However, I do not think justice was invented. I think it is inherent in our spiritual nature to seek justice, since we humans were made in the image of God who seeks justice.

Of course, believers look at it differently than atheists because we believe that God is just and ultimately wants the world to be just. But that is the job of humans to make a just world, by following the teachings and laws of the Prophets. The Baha’i Faith puts an extra emphasis on justice over previous revelations.

2: O SON OF SPIRIT! The best beloved of all things in My sight is Justice; turn not away therefrom if thou desirest Me, and neglect it not that I may confide in thee. By its aid thou shalt see with thine own eyes and not through the eyes of others, and shalt know of thine own knowledge and not through the knowledge of thy neighbor. Ponder this in thy heart; how it behooveth thee to be. Verily justice is My gift to thee and the sign of My loving-kindness. Set it then before thine eyes.
The Hidden Words of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 3-4

64: O OPPRESSORS ON EARTH! Withdraw your hands from tyranny, for I have pledged Myself not to forgive any man’s injustice. This is My covenant which I have irrevocably decreed in the preserved tablet and sealed with My seal.
The Hidden Words of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 44

Nimos

It seems rather odd to me that you say this because you talk about the OT as if it were true, but with no Abraham or Moses all the main stories fall apart.

Now, is the next thing you will say is that there is no evidence for Jesus?
My point is not to talk about the bible as if it was true, but as it being the source for a given set of beliefs.

If we should compare it a fictional book, like Lord of the rings, we can find all sorts of materials about it. The book it self written by Tolkin would be the source for the story, but then you might find websites adding some new characters and stories as well by within the same Universe. This new content might change some of the original lore that Tolkin made, because some person think it would be cool. However this person adding all this, doesn't make them true in relationship to the original story, even though some people may think that all these things are really cool.

To me its sort of the same with the bible, we have what we consider the original stories and what I think is interesting is to understand what those that originally made them sort of them. So for instance did they truly believe in Adam and Eve as the story is told or didn't they? It doesn't tell us anything in regards to whether the story is true or not, just if they believed it or not. Now over the last many years, people have come up with explanations for Adam and Eve and the creation story. So might say that to the Jews a day could be thousands or even million of years. That Adam and Eve was never believed to exists but are merely a "romantic" story of the how it all began etc. And to me they might essential start to change what the the original writers believed.
Next you have all these people coming off these stories, claiming to be this and that and them knowing "certain" truth that they want to tell the rest of us about. So much like with the Lord of the rings example, some people like these changes and others don't. But to me, Im interested in what the original writers understood the stories to mean.

So Moses and Abraham are part of the stories, just like all the things God and Jesus say and do. But these in themselves doesn't as such tell us whether we ought to believe the stories or not, they are just characters in them just as the rest are. Hope that explains it.

In regards to Jesus, I don't think there are extremely compelling evidence that he did exist. However taking the time into account, I personally think that there is a good chance that he did, but that he have been glorified in the bible to do things that he didn't. Because the message they were trying to tell was what was important, so they needed Jesus and the other characters to be special.

But looking at history, it was not uncommon for people to proclaim themselves as Messiahs and getting killed for it. Remember that the Romans crucified those that oppose the rule of Rome and not just random thieves and petty crimes. So when Jesus is crucified next to bandits, people often think that these were like "common" thieves and robbers, which doesn't really fit. But rather bandits (If I recall correct) were a common name for those that opposed the established rule. We can see an example of this in Matthew:

Matthew 26:55
55 At this point, Jesus asked the crowds, "Have you come out with swords and clubs to arrest me as if I were a bandit? Day after day I sat teaching in the Temple, yet you didn't arrest me.

When reading the stories in the bible, Jesus is never portrait as being someone that goes around and stealing and robbing people. And he even reference an event where they ought to have arrested him for being a bandit. "Day after day I sat teaching in the Temple, yet you didn't arrest me." So Jesus refer to his teachings here as being his "crime".

Matthew 27:37

37 Above his head they placed the charge against him. It read, "This is Jesus, the king of the Jews."

Also as we can see the charge against him is that he call himself "the king of the Jews" which would be a way to say that he does not accept the ruling of Rome and therefore he is crucified. This was something that the Romans took very serious and as far as I know, pretty much the only reason one would be crucified.

So I see no especial reason to not think that a person like Jesus existed, but that the stories about him in the bible, probably for the most part is made up and doesn't really give us a true picture of what Jesus actually did.

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
If this deity cares about its creatures and there's some negative consequence if we don't believe in this deity or even know it exists, then I believe this entity would have a moral obligation to reveal itself to all of its creatures and allow them to make their choice from there.
Yes. If God is good, then he/she has to actually *be* good.

If God exists and God is omnipotent, hypothetically speaking God could communicate directly to everyone rather than communicating through Messengers/Prophets. By everyone I mean every one of the 7.53 billion people in the world.

1. Do you think God (if God exists) would communicate directly to everyone?
  • If you think that God would do this, please explain why you think so.
  • If you think that God would not do this, please explain why you think so.
2. Do you think it is *reasonable* to expect God (if God exists) to communicate directly to everyone?
  • If you think that is a reasonable expectation, please explain why you think so.
  • If you think it is an unreasonable expectation, please explain why you think so.
3. Do you think that *rational people* would expect God to communicate directly to everyone?
  • If you think rational people would expect God to do that, please explain why you think so.
  • If you think rational people would not expect God to do that, please explain why you think so.
It depends on the God. For example, Yahweh would not show himself, as he is not supposed to in the Bible, however, if he's an all-good and omnibenevolent being then yes, he should, since allowing war, terrorism, arguments, and fights over such a simple idea such as his existence when it can be so easily proven he exists is not benevolent, and especially when non-believers go to hell in your religion since you're pretty much hardening a non-believer's heart by not giving proof of your existence so they go to hell.