• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would sharks and T Rex buried together lean toward the flood?

sooda

Veteran Member
Howsabout you skip theoretical floating
and deal with the fact that there was no flood,

Could Noah’s Ark really hold all the animals that were ...
https://christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-c013.html

These dimensions are especially interesting when compared to those given in the mythical, Babylonian account of the Ark. Here the ark is described as a perfect cube, extending 120 cubits in all directions and with nine decks.

Such a vessel would spin slowly round and round in the water and from the standpoint of stability, would be a disaster.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yeah, the account says Jehovah God only gave Noah the instructions on how to build it...and He only brought all the animals to Noah...and He only closed the door.

And then, He only unleashed the waters above and below...

No need to believe that He protected Noah & his family and animals during the Flood. That's just too farfetched!
Yes, we all know what the fairy tale says. And you keep ignoring why we know it to be a fairy tale. Tell me,does ice float?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Many modern boats use similar ratios
and 4 students investigated the question and were supposed to find it could float

Could Noah’s Ark Float? In Theory, Yes | Science | Smithsonian

However, the Bible is clear on one thing: Noah got specific instructions for the ark’s dimensions (300 cubits long, 50 cubits wide and 30 cubits high) and material (“gopher wood”). Gopher wood may refer to pine, cedar, or cypress wood.

So, if one could hypothetically build an ark to the specifications outlined in the Bible, and actually cram two of every species on the boat, would it float or would Noah have found himself in a Titanic-like scenario? That’s what four physics graduate students at the University of Leicester wondered. As part of a special course that encourages the students to apply basic physics principles to more general questions, the team did the math and found that an ark full of animals in those dimensions could theoretically float. They recently published their research in a peer-reviewed, student-run publication, the Journal of Physics Special Topics.

“You don’t think of the Bible necessarily as a scientifically accurate source of information, so I guess we were quite surprised when we discovered it would work,” said Thomas Morris, one of the students who worked on the project, in a statement.
Yes, many boats have similar ratios. Many boats do not. And very few boats have exactly those ratios.

And, yes, an Ark with too few animals and almost no supplies could have floated. That does not mean that it would have been seaworthy.I

Also, does ice float?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Loose ice, yes. Embedded ice....no.

Tell me, how did Moses get those ideal proportions (30-5-3) of the Ark right?
Engineering is not your cup of tea. Ice does not have enough strength to resist the buoyancy forces.

It would have peeled off of those continents like wet wallpaper.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
-sharks live in salt water, how did they live in the fresh water stream/river? Oh I see. They stretched it that back then they could live in either.
Sharks have had 400 million years to adapt to various environments and climates:

In 1937, two fisherman hauled up a bull shark, that had been raiding their fish traps, from the Mississippi river near Alton, Illinois.
In 1955, George Lawson had his leg bitten off by a shark -- in Lake Michigan.
In 2005 fresh shark teeth were found in Minnehaha creek, near Minneapolis. Authorities electroshocked the section of creek in question to see what was in there. Result: two Bull sharks.
In 2006, divers, attempting to salvage a truck that had fallen through the ice of lake Pepin, on the Mississippi river between Minnesota and Wisconsin, found a Bull Shark had taken up residence in it.
Shortly after this, two anglers hauled a dead a Blacktip shark out of Lake Michigan.

Recently: Is this a shark in Lake Michigan? [/quote]

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If you understood the issues raised in Genesis 3, you would grasp why it has taken a while.
But "the beginning of pangs of distress (Matthew 24:7)" was in 1914:

“Ever since 1914, everybody conscious of trends in the world has been deeply troubled by what has seemed like a fated and predetermined march toward ever greater disaster. Many serious people have come to feel that nothing can be done to avert the plunge towards ruin.”—Bertrand Russell, The New York Times Magazine, September 27, 1953.

The London Evening Star commented that the conflict “tore the whole world’s political setup apart. Nothing could ever be the same again. If we all get the nuclear madness out of our systems and the human race survives, some historian in the next century may well conclude that the day the world went mad was August 4, 1914.”–London Evening Star, quoted in the New Orleans Times-Picayune, August 5, 1960, and The Seattle Times, August 4, 1960, p. 5.

“Half a century has gone by, yet the mark that the tragedy of the Great War [World War I, which started in 1914] left on the body and soul of the nations has not faded . . . The physical and moral magnitude of this ordeal was such that nothing left was the same as before. Society in its entirety: systems of government, national borders, laws, armed forces, interstate relations, but also ideologies, family life, fortunes, positions, personal relations—everything was changed from top to bottom. . . . Humanity finally lost its balance, never to recover it to this day.”—General Charles de Gaulle, speaking in 1968 (Le Monde, Nov. 12, 1968, p. 9).

“The last completely ‘normal’ year in history was 1913, the year before World War I began.”—Editorial in the Times-Herald, Washington, D.C., March 13, 1949.

“Looking back from the vantage point of the present we see clearly today that the outbreak of World War I ushered in a twentieth-century ‘Time of Troubles’—in the expressive term of the British historian Arnold Toynbee—from which our civilization has by no means yet emerged. Directly or indirectly all the convulsions of the last half century stem back to 1914.”—The Fall of the Dynasties: The Collapse of the Old Order (New York, 1963), Edmond Taylor, p. 16.

No previous war in history compared with it. It was so different that historians of that time called it The Great War.
Of it, an encyclopedia states: “World War I took the lives of twice as many men as all major wars from 1790 to 1913 put together.” It noted that total military casualties were over 37,000,000, and added: “The number of civilian deaths in areas of actual war totaled about 5,000,000. Starvation, disease, and exposure accounted for about 80 of every 100 of these civilian deaths. Spanish influenza, which some persons blamed on the war, caused tens of millions of other deaths.–The World Book Encyclopedia, 1966, Vol. 20, p. 377.
World War! Pestilences! Food shortages!

“Everything would get better and better. This was the world I was born in. . . . Suddenly, unexpectedly, one morning in 1914 the whole thing came to an end.”—British statesman Harold Macmillan, The New York Times, November 23, 1980.

“Increasingly, the 75-year period from 1914 to 1989, covering two world wars and the cold war, is being seen by historians as a single, discrete epoch, a time apart in which much of the world was fighting war, recovering from war or preparing for war.”—The New York Times, May 7, 1995.
“The whole world really blew up about World War I and we still don’t know why. Before then, men thought that utopia was in sight. There was peace and prosperity. Then everything blew up. We’ve been in a state of suspended animation ever since . . . More people have been killed in this century than in all of history.”—Dr. Walker Percy, American Medical News, November 21, 1977.

“It is indeed the year 1914 rather than that of Hiroshima which marks the turning point in our time, for by now we can see that . . . it was the first world war that ushered in the era of confused transition in the midst of which we are floundering.”—Dr. René Albrecht-Carrié, Barnard College, The Scientific Monthly, July 1951.

“In 1914 the world lost a coherence which it has not managed to recapture since. . . . This has been a time of extraordinary disorder and violence, both across national frontiers and within them.”—The Economist, London, August 4, 1979.

“World War I and its aftermath led to the greatest economic depression in history during the early 1930’s. The consequences of the war and the problems of adjustment to peace led to unrest in almost every nation.”–The World Book Encyclopedia (1966, Vol. 20) on page 379 under its heading “World War I”

Author Maurice Genevoix, who was a military officer during that war, said of it: “Everyone agrees in recognizing that in the whole history of mankind, few dates have had the importance of August 2, 1914. First Europe and soon after almost all humanity found themselves plunged into a dreadful event. Conventions, agreements, moral laws, all the foundations shook; from one day to the next, everything was called into question. The event was to exceed both instinctive forebodings and reasonable anticipations. Enormous, chaotic, monstrous, it still drags us in its wake.”—Maurice Genevoix, member of the Académie Française, quoted in the book Promise of Greatness (1968).

“The modern era . . . began in 1914, an
d no one knows when or how it will end. . . . It could end in mass annihilation.”—The Seattle Times, January 1, 1959.

“In its scope, its violence, and above all, in its totality, it established a precedent. World War I ushered in the century of Total War, of—in the first full sense of the term—global war. . . .Never before 1914-1918 had a war absorbed so much of the total resources of so many combatants and covered so large a part of the earth. Never had so many nations been involved. Never had the slaughter been so comprehensive and indiscriminate.”–World War I, by H.W. Baldwin, pages 1,2

The World Book Encyclopedia noted that the number of soldiers killed and wounded was over 37,000,000, and added:
“The number of civilian deaths in areas of actual war totaled about 5,000,000. Starvation, disease, and exposure accounted for about 80 of every 100 of these civilian deaths. Spanish influenza, which some persons blamed on the war, caused tens of millions of other deaths.”—1966 edition, Vol. 20, p. 377.

More than 50 years after 1914, German statesman Konrad Adenauer wrote: “Security and quiet have disappeared from the lives of men since 1914.”—The West Parker, Cleveland, Ohio, January 20, 1966.

“Some historians believe that the 20th century will be seen as a time of unparalleled savagery,” notes The New York Times.

An article in The Washington Post concurs: “Our 20th-century wars have been ‘total wars’ against combatants and civilians alike,” it says. “The casualties, including the genocide of the Jews, are measured in the tens of millions. The barbarian wars of centuries past were alley fights in comparison.” Civil insurrections have added to the carnage. How many have died? “The ‘megadeaths’ since 1914, by an estimate of Zbigniew Brzezinski, have totaled 197 million, ‘the equivalent of more than one in ten of the total world population in 1900,’” says the Post. It adds that it is an “indisputable fact that terrorism and wanton killing are embedded deeply in the culture of this century” and that “no political or economic system has so far in this century pacified or satisfied the restless millions.”

As regards economic consequences, Ashby Bladen, a senior vice president of The Guardian Life Insurance Company of America, writes: “Before 1914 the monetary and the financial systems were compatible. . . . If one takes August 1914 as marking the dividing line between them, the contrasts between the nineteenth and the twentieth centuries are striking. In many aspects of human affairs there has been a complete reversal of trend. . . . One major reason was the severance of the linkage between the financial system and money with intrinsic value that began in 1914. . . . The breaking of the linkage was a momentous event. . . . 1914 marked a radical, and in the end catastrophic, transformation of that system.”

Etc., Etc.
TLDR. That is the same sort of nonsense that has been preached almost since the crucifixion. I don't know if you remember, but Jesus said that he would be back before all of his apostles died.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
TLDR. That is the same sort of nonsense that has been preached almost since the crucifixion. I don't know if you remember, but Jesus said that he would be back before all of his apostles died.
Too bad...ignoring the evidence I presented, is on you.

Figures!

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Hell Creek rock formation in Montana has both shark and T Rex fossils.
Seems to lean toward rather than against the Noah epic.

Data reported in the Journal of Paleontology pp1-19, 21 Jan 2019

What say you?
Sorry, your thread got side-tracked. I'll stop here.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Do it! Show the world is better since 1913.
Seriously? Improvements in dental care and anti-biotics alone since 1913 would pretty much make it a lock!

Are you referring to the World Wars perhaps? Sure, terrible, but not actually any more terrible than previous waring periods. We killed a lot of people in horrible ways in the 20th Century, but mostly because we had a lot more people. People were being killed in just as horrible ways, often at a per capita GREATER rate in previous centuries.

23 charts and maps that show the world is getting much, much better

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Seriously? Improvements in dental care and anti-biotics alone since 1913 would pretty much make it a lock!

Are you referring to the World Wars perhaps? Sure, terrible, but not actually any more terrible than previous waring periods. We killed a lot of people in horrible ways in the 20th Century, but mostly because we had a lot more people. People were being killed in just as horrible ways, often at a per capita GREATER rate in previous centuries.

Maybe I don't have to prove the obvious. Thank you.