• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would sharks and T Rex buried together lean toward the flood?

exchemist

Veteran Member
Lol. I'm far from religious but blame my disagreements on that if it makes you feel better.

That old tooth had DNA in it? Amazing.

Stop taking some articles as fact when some of them aren't, they are assumption.
Yes I'm sure you are right about the DNA. I don't believe any reputable article makes that claim.

sooda

Veteran Member
The larger point I was making was exactly what I said: modern geology as a field got kickstarted by christians that explicitly set out researching the earth with the purpose to prove scientifically that the great flood happened.

It is that exercise that sparked interest in geological formations and composition which lead to modern geology as a field.

Yes, they did set out to prove the bible.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The larger point I was making was exactly what I said: modern geology as a field got kickstarted by christians that explicitly set out researching the earth with the purpose to prove scientifically that the great flood happened.

It is that exercise that sparked interest in geological formations and composition which lead to modern geology as a field.
Actually the founder of modern geology was James Hutton. He devised one of the core principles in geology called uniformitarianism.

exchemist

Veteran Member

I quote:

He investigated fossil cave faunas in Europe beginning in 1816 and obtained the new readership in geology in 1818. With his colorful, larger-than-life personality, his lectures were popular and his inaugural geology lecture, “Vindiciae geologicae”, sought to reassure his audience that the details of the bible were consistent with facts of geology.

He excavated Kirkdale Cavern in Yorkshire in 1821. There he discovered ancient bones of now extinct animals in the UK including those of the hyena, elephant, hippopotamus and rhinoceros. Based on his findings he published his “Reliquiae diluvianae”, in 1823 proposing that in some “anti-deluvial” time hyenas had dragged in prey to their cave to devour.

For his discoveries at Kirkdale, Buckland was awarded the prestigious Royal Society’s Copley medal in 1822.

On January 18, 1823, William Buckland discovered a skeleton which he named the “Red Lady of Paviland”. The remains were found in a limestone Paviland Cave in south Wales. He first thought that the remains were of a female dating to Roman Britain. Years later and after carbon-data tests, the “Red Lady of Paviland” was shown to be a male from around 33,000 years ago.

He became President of the Geological Society in 1824 and announced at his first meeting his discovery of the bones of a giant reptile “Meglosaurus” and a mammalian fossilized jaw in Stonefield slate; the first pre-Tertiary mammalian fossil known.

In 1825 Buckland became a canon of Christ Church which came with a residence and a much improved salary.

Buckland laid a lot of the foundations on which Lyell and his successors built. And he was a canon at my old college so he must have been a good chap! ;)

Twilight Hue

I quote:

He investigated fossil cave faunas in Europe beginning in 1816 and obtained the new readership in geology in 1818. With his colorful, larger-than-life personality, his lectures were popular and his inaugural geology lecture, “Vindiciae geologicae”, sought to reassure his audience that the details of the bible were consistent with facts of geology.

He excavated Kirkdale Cavern in Yorkshire in 1821. There he discovered ancient bones of now extinct animals in the UK including those of the hyena, elephant, hippopotamus and rhinoceros. Based on his findings he published his “Reliquiae diluvianae”, in 1823 proposing that in some “anti-deluvial” time hyenas had dragged in prey to their cave to devour.

For his discoveries at Kirkdale, Buckland was awarded the prestigious Royal Society’s Copley medal in 1822.

On January 18, 1823, William Buckland discovered a skeleton which he named the “Red Lady of Paviland”. The remains were found in a limestone Paviland Cave in south Wales. He first thought that the remains were of a female dating to Roman Britain. Years later and after carbon-data tests, the “Red Lady of Paviland” was shown to be a male from around 33,000 years ago.

He became President of the Geological Society in 1824 and announced at his first meeting his discovery of the bones of a giant reptile “Meglosaurus” and a mammalian fossilized jaw in Stonefield slate; the first pre-Tertiary mammalian fossil known.

In 1825 Buckland became a canon of Christ Church which came with a residence and a much improved salary.

Buckland laid a lot of the foundations on which Lyell and his successors built. And he was a canon at my old college so he must have been a good chap! ;)

You seem to have forgotten something later on in the biography.

"After five years of hard work, he published his famous and lavishly illustrated Bridgewater Treatise, “Geology and Mineralogy” in 1836. In his work, he discarded his earlier belief in the universal effects of the Biblical “Noah” deluge. His work detailed in color the geological history of the Earth, showing reconstructed fauna and flora from each geological time period".

"Buckland took great interest in the glacial theory of Louis Agassiz and, in 1838, he visited Switzerland to meet him and to examine rocks. He quickly became a convert to Agassiz’s theory, recognizing that “millions and millions” of years existed before the creation of the Biblical Adam and Eve".

Indeed. A very good chap.

exchemist

Veteran Member
You seem to have forgotten something later on in the biography.

"After five years of hard work, he published his famous and lavishly illustrated Bridgewater Treatise, “Geology and Mineralogy” in 1836. In his work, he discarded his earlier belief in the universal effects of the Biblical “Noah” deluge. His work detailed in color the geological history of the Earth, showing reconstructed fauna and flora from each geological time period".

"Buckland took great interest in the glacial theory of Louis Agassiz and, in 1838, he visited Switzerland to meet him and to examine rocks. He quickly became a convert to Agassiz’s theory, recognizing that “millions and millions” of years existed before the creation of the Biblical Adam and Eve".

Indeed. A very good chap.
And, perhaps best of all, to bury him at the spot he had requested, in Islip, they had to blow up a load of Jurassic limestone, which was seen as his last jest!

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Back to the OP, generally speaking, aquatic organisms tend to evolve much more slowly that terrestrial ones because the environmental changes tend to develop much more slowly.

Twilight Hue

And, perhaps best of all, to bury him at the spot he had requested, in Islip, they had to blow up a load of Jurassic limestone, which was seen as his last jest!
The 1700's and 1800's was quite an era!

A lot in geological science has passed now that we are in the 2000s. Comparing the Sciences from the 1700s + 1800s to what we have now and what we know and have discovered since.

A toast to the early pioneers of geology and to the subsequent advancements and discoveries geologists have made since!

exchemist

Veteran Member
The 1700's and 1800's was quite an era!

A lot in geological science has passed now that we are in the 2000s. Comparing the Sciences from the 1700s + 1800s to what we have now and what we know and have discovered since.

A toast to the early pioneers of geology and to the subsequent advancements and discoveries geologists have made since!
I have no trouble drinking to that.

sooda

Veteran Member
They lived at the save time, were found in the same place, same rock, etc. I would assume by those factors the time would have been short between them both being there. But who knows.

The 'global flood' Is a myth about aflood of the fertile crescent.