• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would sharks and T Rex buried together lean toward the flood?

tas8831

In any case land and sea creatures fossilized in close proximity is consistent with the flood epoch.
We also see a high mix of dinosaur and mammals buried in the gobi dessert
No, nothing is consistent with any tall tale that requires water above the tallest mountain. That is seriously nonsense, seeing as how there were many thriving civilizations that were unaffected by this 'world wide' flood.
It is silliness for an adult to actually believe such things.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
In any case land and sea creatures fossilized in close proximity is consistent with the flood epoch.
We also see a high mix of dinosaur and mammals buried in the gobi dessert
You can't imagine any reason why ancient things and new things would be buried in the same place?

exchemist

Veteran Member
You can't imagine any reason why ancient things and new things would be buried in the same place?
But mammals had in any case evolved long before the end of the dinosaurs.

My understanding is that the Gobi desert fossils are from the Cretaceous, i.e. the last period when dinosaurs still existed. The earliest mammal fossils we have date, I think, from the Jurassic and their synapsid precursors are identifiable as far back at the Carboniferous! The dinosaurs did not evolve into mammals. They evolved (some of them) into birds. Mammals expanded, by evolution, to fill the environmental niches left vacant when the dinosaurs were killed off. But they were there all along.

So this supposed contradiction, that @whirlingmerc crows about, would appear to be one of many examples of a creationist trying to leverage his own ignorance.:D

Last edited:

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Modern? well some animals have not changed... bees... spiders.. ants... and a horse is a horse of course of course...

And as you know most appear in the fossil record fully formed lacking history
(It's as if they were created. Imagine my surprise)

You forgot to point a single instance of non-avian dino's being preserved with modern mammals, like the post you are responding to is asking.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
4257-Shuruppak-Instructions.jpg

Actual ancient wisdom. :)

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Yeah, the account says Jehovah God only gave Noah the instructions on how to build it...and He only brought all the animals to Noah...and He only closed the door.

And then, He only unleashed the waters above and below...

No need to believe that He protected Noah & his family and animals during the Flood. That's just too farfetched!

Well sure...
I mean, if you're going to allow for some magic to occur, might as well go all-in and allow for some more magic to fix the insufficient previous magic as well...

An absurd magical claim more or less is not really going to make it any more farfetched then it already is....

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
There was only one global flood however there could be many local floods

A short ice age following the global flood also makes sense

Are you aware that geology as a scientific field got kickstarted by a couple of christians that set out to find evidence to prove that the biblical flood was real, and that out of that failed effort geology as a science was born?

It sounds like you don't.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Do it! Show the world is better since 1913. I.e., before WWI

There's no more apartheid in the western world.

Even if we completely ignore all the other ethical accomplishments since then (like declaration of human rights, emancipation of women, etc), that alone in and of itself was already a massive improvement.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Hell Creek rock formation in Montana has both shark and T Rex fossils.
Seems to lean toward rather than against the Noah epic.

Data reported in the Journal of Paleontology pp1-19, 21 Jan 2019

What say you?
Late to the game here, but if I'm not mistaken, the shark species has been around for an extremely long time. It's one of the species in the world that has reached top of the predator echelon and have had very little selective pressure, which has caused it to have a huge variety of genetic diversity without changing it's body type or hunting skills. I can't be sure, but it might be possible that sharks existed in the Jurassic. After all, some of the oldest shark fossils are hundreds of millions of years old, while the dinosaurs were going extinct only some 60 million years ago.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Late to the game here, but if I'm not mistaken, the shark species has been around for an extremely long time. It's one of the species in the world that has reached top of the predator echelon and have had very little selective pressure, which has caused it to have a huge variety of genetic diversity without changing it's body type or hunting skills. I can't be sure, but it might be possible that sharks existed in the Jurassic. After all, some of the oldest shark fossils are hundreds of millions of years old, while the dinosaurs were going extinct only some 60 million years ago.
Indeed. The T rex was buried in sediments, from what was originally presumed to be a lake. However, having found these teeth, they now think it was a body of shallow water connected to a river or the sea, in which fresh water sharks were present.

As usual, the creationist knows so little (or affects to know so little) about the process of fossilisation that he can present this as a puzzle, when it is no such thing.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
There's no more apartheid in the western world.

Even if we completely ignore all the other ethical accomplishments since then (like declaration of human rights, emancipation of women, etc), that alone in and of itself was already a massive improvement.
Please! You can’t legislate attitudes! There are so many selfish & racist people! It doesn’t have to be state-sponsored to flourish.

Over 970,000,000 suffer w/ some form of mental illness.

And on an observable basis, go live in Syria, Burundi, Venezuela, Afghanistan, Iraq, Honduras, Papua New Guinea, El Salvatore, Mozambique, Sudan, Chad, Niger, Somalia, Madagascar, Comoros, the Congo, Yemen, etc., etc., etc...

According to Google,
Worldwide, 1 in 9 people are starving.

Currently there are over 40 active conflicts on Earth, affecting millions.

The truth of Jeremiah 10:23 is becoming more and more evident.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Cool story.
-how did they test the pinhead size parts of teeth to show they were from a shark? Oh it just looked similar.
-sharks live in salt water, how did they live in the fresh water stream/river? Oh I see. They stretched it that back then they could live in either.
-how did... Yeah I could throw a million questions into those assumptions.

While it's interesting, it's all assumptions. It wouldn't pass 13.

To address the bullet points.....

The tooth isn't based on looks, it's based on DNA.
That's how they knew.

From the article itself regarding it's adaptability...

"....serves as another example of the diversification of this shark group not only in oceans worldwide, but also in the freshwater systems in the terrestrial environments near the end of the so-called ‘Age of Reptiles.’”

Stop listening to religion.

Study science.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Are you aware that geology as a scientific field got kickstarted by a couple of christians that set out to find evidence to prove that the biblical flood was real, and that out of that failed effort geology as a science was born?

Just who exactly are those couple of Christians?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Just who exactly are those couple of Christians?
I would not say that it was a "couple". For example one of the first laws of geology was written by a Christian, who was also a creationist. The law of superposition:

The oldest stuff is on the bottom:D

Nicolas Steno was the first to realize what seems obvious today. That the lower level sedimentary rocks had to be older than those on top. He never got to the point where he doubted the Flood, but he laid some very important groundwork for it:

Nicolas Steno - Wikipedia

We Never Know

No Slack
To address the bullet points.....

The tooth isn't based on looks, it's based on DNA.
That's how they knew.

From the article itself regarding it's adaptability...

"....serves as another example of the diversification of this shark group not only in oceans worldwide, but also in the freshwater systems in the terrestrial environments near the end of the so-called ‘Age of Reptiles.’”

Stop listening to religion.

Study science.

Lol. I'm far from religious but blame my disagreements on that if it makes you feel better.

That old tooth had DNA in it? Amazing.

Stop taking some articles as fact when some of them aren't, they are assumption.