• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would Jesus Have known what Modern Science knows?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That Jesus does not know everything that Jehovah God knows does not mean that he does not know something that humans know ... it is a fallacy where they change one issue for another and believe that no one will notice (in simple words).
So then Jesus' knowledge was limited then, right? When I said that, you accused me of saying that I believed "Jesus didn't know what he was talking about".

Everyone knows that the story of Eden is treated in Scripture as historical fact
Everyone? I'm part of everyone, I do not believe that is true, nor do countless other Christians. You can't just make up support for yourself like this and say everyone knows this, when they don't. They weren't thinking in terms of "historical facts". That was not part of the mentality of ancient humans back then. They were not modernists. That's a recent modern view of history.

The historical facts narrated in the Bible are real facts.
Are they? Is the earth factually only 6000 years old? Does the sun factual rotate around the earth? Did vegetation factually grown on the earth before the sun was created? Was there a planet earth even, before the sun existed? If so, how is that possible? How did it form?

You see, you run into some impossible stimulations when you insist the Bible is a book to be relied up as history and science. You genuinely put your faith at risk when you take up that unsupportable position. It becomes a house of card, when you just need one card to be wrong, and the whole structure collapses.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Jesus is the author of creation. You are claiming God didn't know how God created?
Who wrote the book of Genesis? Was the author(s) of Genesis there at creation?

Regarding Jesus referencing the traditional story of the creation for his culture, that does not mean it was an affirmation of it from a scientific perspective. It was simply him using a common reference point. And even if he himself had awareness of the actual process of creation (something ancients would have had no idea about), him speaking of Adam and Eve is perfectly reasonable.

I speak of Adam and Eve all the time, as they symbolize humanity in a narrative fashion, or a "parable". It is a wonderful, and meaningful story that speaks great truths in its message about humankind. Yet, I know scientifically the actual process was quite different than the narrative. That was not the narratives purpose or function. I don't think it services faith well to fuse the meaning of it, to whether they were facts or not. I say that as much to Christians as I say that to atheists.

Last edited:

Eli G

What a non-Christian believes about what the Bible says is totally irrelevant for a real Christian.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Great dialogue!!

I would agree and say that Jesus' "expertice", if you will, was spiritual knowledge. That's not something you learn in textbooks. I certainly don't think he as a human being was some Cosmic Encyclopedia of Information. I don't believe most Christians believe that Jesus the man, was an all-knowing deity.

My position would be that from ages 0 - 30, it was scroll knowledge and revelation through what he read. As it said "And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him." - if he "grew",it was a process.

I would agree that as man, he was not the all-knowing deity in as much as he emptied himself of those God attributes (Phil. 2)

However, he did understand and spoke about end times. Maybe from the scrolls?

Theologically speaking, there was his divine nature, and his human nature, referred to as the hypostatic union. His human side was not the eternal divine Logos, but finite, limited flesh. That finite limitation would have also included what information was stored in his brain matter, such as things learned from education, or by actually being a scientist and doing science, for instance.

I would concur. Very well laid out.

As a footnote to this "human Jesus" understanding, do you believe Jesus the man, the boy, the adolescent who learned and grew, ever made any mistakes of knowledge? Like if he took a test on some information and got a few questions wrong, or was he a perfect, 100% straight-A student who never made any mistakes in life on anything whatsoever?

Now, that is a good question and one that, in my view, has no answer. Other than age 12 and the statement that he grew in wisdom and stature, we don't know anything else. Is there an "age of accountability?" - nothing specific mentioned. In that he did "fulfill the law" there is some measurement of accomplishment.

If there is an age of accountability, then we could say that from then on "he did not sen". Seeing there are some people's lives who received the label of "goody-two-shoes" - I would lean on that he was one fo those.

I wouldn't believe that personally. Being "without sin" does not mean being right about information 100% of the time. Sin against God, and making mistakes on ideas about things, are not the same thing. If your kid came home with a C on test, would you consider them a sinner because? ;)

Absolutely not. A "C" isn't a sin. My daughter came home from college with an "F; on an exam. She cried saying "but I studied for three days"... my response, "That is an "A" for me because you tried your best. Now, let's sit down and see what questions you got wrong to learn." She aced the next exam and the course.

Then why should we assume Jesus was flawless in everything as a human? Would he really be a human "like us" then, if that were true??

What we have to remember, however, is that he was the "last Adam", like unto the first that was created without sin. So I'm not sure you can equate Jesus with humanity after sin but rather Adam before sin.

Still completely human but as an example of what God intended for human kind from the beginning.

Thoughts?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't see any Christians answering this. But let me give it a favorable light. If as Jesus before he was crucified to be "fully human" would to me limit his knowledge to what a human could know. So in other words he would not have known all that we know today.
It hasn't even been one day!

Eli G

What does that have to do with what I am saying? These are things that Christians believe.
It has a lot to do.

A non-Christian does not believe that Adam and Eve were real people (and Jesus did_ Matt. 19:4-6); he also doesn't believe the Flood happened (and Jesus did_ Matt. 24:37-39); They also don't believe that Moses led the Israelites out of Egypt (and Jesus believed that_ John 3:14)...Should I continue?

Christian who allows himself to be influenced by a non-Christian will end up removing Jesus from his life. Isn't that what non-Christians are after in the end? Now, who is behind all this effort by non-Christians to kill believers' faith and trust in the inspired Word of God?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It has a lot to do.

A non-Christian does not believe that Adam and Eve were real people (and Jesus did_ Matt. 19:4-6); he also doesn't believe the Flood happened (and Jesus did_ Matt. 24:37-39); They also don't believe that Moses led the Israelites out of Egypt (and Jesus believed that_ John 3:14)...Should I continue?

Christian who allows himself to be influenced by a non-Christian will end up removing Jesus from his life. Isn't that what non-Christians are after in the end? Now, who is behind all this effort by non-Christians to kill believers' faith and trust in the inspired Word of God?
Actually a non-Christian , and even most Christians, can know that Adam and Eve were not real people. Jesus could have just been using language that the people of that time could understand. No one is trying to remove Jesus from your life. And the majority of Christians are not science and reality deniers.

Eli G

From my life? Mmmh, no, you don't have that power, lol.

But you can do that to others, and that's why some "Christians" have fallen into that trap.

No one can be a true Christian who denies what Jesus taught. Will those who have been deceived know?

There are many atheists who in their militancy have dedicated themselves to penetrating theological seminaries, leadership positions in the different religions of the world, etc. They can do a lot of things...but not to Jehovah's Witnesses, your arm doesn't reach that far; we are out of your league, lol.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
From my life? Mmmh, no, you don't have that power, lol.

But you can do that to others, and that's why some "Christians" have fallen into that trap.

No one can be a true Christian who denies what Jesus taught. Will those who have been deceived know?

There are many atheists who in their militancy have dedicated themselves to penetrating theological seminaries, leadership positions in the different religions of the world, etc. They can do a lot of things...but not Jehovah's Witnesses.
It is not a trap. It is not an attempt to sway you from Christianity. It is merely demonstrable reality. Even when I was a Christian I did not believe in a lying God. A belief in the myths of Genesis is calling God a liar, even though you probably do not know why.

Eli G

It is not a trap. It is not an attempt to sway you from Christianity. It is merely demonstrable reality. Even when I was a Christian I did not believe in a lying God. A belief in the myths of Genesis is calling God a liar, even though you probably do not know why.
Hehehe, no ... I much probably don't mind what your opinion is about Genesis.