• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would Jesus Christ participate in interfaithism?

Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
Acts 4:12 KJV

I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.
John 8:24 KJV

1) Bases on these Scriptures, would Jesus Christ participate in interfaithism?

2) Should Christians who follow Jesus Christ participate in interfaithism?

(I'm not going to debate anyone, I'd just like to read your response. I may relocate this topic to debate later.)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

(I'm not going to debate anyone, I'd just like to read your response. I may relocate this topic to debate later.)
I would think (I dont know) that Jesus would speak to people from all walk of life, and all form of spiritual people, but i also think he was firm in his own Cultivation, and did not take teachings from different religions.

I believe Christian people who not mix in teaching from other religion will do well in their practice:)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

My guess is probably not, but that's only a guess since we cannot confirm the accuracy of those verses. Remember, the gospels were not written until decades after Jesus was martyred.

Either way, I find that being ecumenical is a far better way to go for myself at least because way too much harm historically has occurred with the "my way or the highway" approach. Thus, as a Catholic, I can accept other religious approaches even if I don't believe in them myself.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Jesus was a mystic.

Of what use do mystics have for the borders between religions?

Do you not observe how his thought borrowed from both the Pharisees and the Essenes? He probably would have borrowed from the Greek and Roman religions if he had known more about them -- or thought borrowing from them would be useful to him.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I find the question to be anachronistic as ecumenical projects are a modern thing. Jesus did associate with people from all sorts of different religions, though.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The Christ Avatar is the source so why should he favor one of his "children" over any other?

Good-Ole-Rebel

Jesus Christ, in His first coming, willingly spoke to others of different faith, though not as distant as the pagan faiths. See His discussion with the Samaritan woman in (John 4:1-29) Note verse (22).

And Judaism in His day, was not the faith of Moses and the Prophets. (Matt 23)

Yes, Jesus would participate. But He would be unwavering as to Him being the only Way and Truth.

Good-Ole-Rebel

exchemist

Veteran Member

I don't recognise the term "interfaithism", though it has a faintly pejorative smell about it.

It seems to me that John 10:16 could easily be taken to suggest that Jesus may not have acted in the human world solely through the foundation of Christianity.

Jesus Christ, in His first coming, willingly spoke to others of different faith, though not as distant as the pagan faiths. See His discussion with the Samaritan woman in (John 4:1-29) Note verse (22).

And Judaism in His day, was not the faith of Moses and the Prophets. (Matt 23)

Yes, Jesus would participate. But He would be unwavering as to Him being the only Way and Truth.

Good-Ole-Rebel
It seems to me that Jesus talking to followers and non-followers while being true to Himself is the same as being a witness, evangelizing and proselytizing. Does that fit in with interfaithism?

What exactly do you mean by “interfaithism”?

Great question. I associate interfaithism as the forerunner to the one-world religion prophesied in Revelation.

Interfaith removes religious exclusivness, being only one truth and one path to God and focuses on religiousness inclusivness where all roads lead to god.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Probably not. If he did it wouldnt be open to learn about say a Wiccan's religion. So, I don't see him having the patience for such a thing.

Since Christians don't follow BC views without the culture, language, worldview it would beneficial to talk among other religions. I get the feeling from being on RF not all religious are open to do so.

Since humility has no reservations, I doubt either is possible. There are interfaith conferences etc all around the world. Mostly on wordly matters rather than spiritual.

epronovost

This is interesting. You acknowledge Jesus wouldn't participate in interfaithism, but think Christians should. Why?

I don't think Jesus would participate in interfaith discussion, debate or even agree with religious tolerance, because he was some sort of puritan anti-humanist zealot. Christian should because religious tolerance is a recepe for harmony, peace and prosperity while many of Jesus' puritanical views aren't.