• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would it be possible to join the Church of England if you still hold onto belief in predestination?

XIII-Legion

Edit > Subject title should read: "Would it be theoretically possible to join the Church of England if one still held onto belief in predestination?"

Former Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams DD DPhil was born into a Presbyterian family, whereby he was indoctrinated by his parents to believe in predestination before they converted to Anglicanism in 1961,

Given that Williams is now a member of the Church of England, does it mean anybody can join the church as long as they do not divulge their belief in predestination to other Anglicans?

Vigilans

Edit > Subject title should read: "Would it be theoretically possible to join the Church of England if one still held onto belief in predestination?"

Former Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams DD DPhil was born into a Presbyterian family, whereby he was indoctrinated by his parents to believe in predestination before they converted to Anglicanism in 1961,

Given that Williams is now a member of the Church of England, does it mean anybody can join the church as long as they do not divulge their belief in predestination to other Anglicans?

Hi XIII-Legion. The CofE prides itself on being a broad church. There are no doctrinal pre-requisites for joining.

The Thirty-Nine Articles of Religion (1563) are technically 'official' doctrines of the Church. These articles are actually Calvinistic, so predestination is probably endorsed. However, I use the word 'official' in the loosest possible sense. In practice, it doesn't matter an iota. There are High Anglican churches and Low Anglican churches. I'm Anglo-Catholic. I reject predestination, but I pray with those who don't every week.

Last edited:

XIII-Legion

Hi XIII-Legion. The CofE prides itself on being a broad church. There are no doctrinal pre-requisites for joining.

The Thirty-Nine Articles of Religion (1563) are technically 'official' doctrines of the Church. These articles are actually Calvinistic, so predestination is probably endorsed. However, I use the word 'official' in the loosest possible sense. In practice, it doesn't matter an iota. There are High Anglican churches and Low Anglican churches. I'm Anglo-Catholic. I reject predestination, but I pray with those who don't every week.
Thank you for your insightful comment.

Sultan Of Swing

A belief in predestination is more than accepted, yes. There are many Reformed Anglican churches in the country (I attend one!) and as Vigilans stated the Thirty-Nine Articles are indeed Calvinistic. Anglicanism of the 16th and 17th centuries was very Reformed and parts of it still continue to be so.

Izdaari

Emergent Anglo-Catholic
Certainly. Reformed Anglicans do exist, and are even relatively common. I'm not one of them. I do have some roots in Reformation theology, but mine come from Luther, not from Calvin.