• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would it be considered a sin if science rebuilt the garden of eden?

amorphous_constellation

I ask because it seems like work seems fairly essential to biblical based religion. There are plenty things written against idleness and hedonism of course. Don't have time atm to write out a set of thoughts about this for an intro, but will discuss

epronovost

It's going to take hell of a lot of global warming for me to stroll around in Montreal in November completely butt naked. I'm a hairy guy, but that's still way over my limit. :p

But its true that most of the miracles of religious and mythological figures are looking more and more quaint. Curing a blind man, ressucitating a dead child, curing a leper, taiming wild animals, make a woman fertile again, etc. These are all comon miracles and we are basically capable of not only doing all those things, but we can do them repeatedly on thousands of people with ease. The deities of old are getting small.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Would it be considered a sin if science rebuilt the garden of eden?

It happened already. It was internationally outlawed in 1966.

danieldemol

Premium Member
I ask because it seems like work seems fairly essential to biblical based religion. There are plenty things written against idleness and hedonism of course. Don't have time atm to write out a set of thoughts about this for an intro, but will discuss
I don’t think liberals would consider it a sin but Jehovahs Witnesses would spend an awful lot of time saying it can only be done by God after science already achieved it

exchemist

Veteran Member
It would not be a scientific endeavour, that's all.

Even Origen, one of the early church fathers, back in 200AD, realised the Garden of Eden is a myth.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
There is no dearth of 'wild' Edens on Earth, you have them everywhere. In India - in Himalayas, Goa, backwaters of Kerala, Sahayadri and Nilgiri mountains in South India, Kutch and Thar deserts in Western India, wild hills of Central India, the tiger-infested Mangrove forests of Sundarbans, and the evergreen forests in Eastern India. We have a total of 870 such areas covering 62,587 square miles. Lots of Edens. They were created by Geology and not God. ;)

"Nanda Devi Biosphere Reserve" - Google Search
An area of 864 square miles crested by 25,643 feet high peak of Nanda Devi enclosed within an area protected by 20,000 feet high mountains (Bethartoli 20,839 feet, Dunagiri 23,182 feet, Changabang 22,519 feet, Trishul 23359 feet and many more) with only two entry points, one over a dangerous steep gorge over Rishi Ganga (from Lata village) and the other a difficult to cross mountain pass (Longstaff Col 19,390 feet). Another Eden, Valley of Flowers, is close by.
Nanda Devi National Park Trek - A revolving door of imagery - Indiahikes

img-3-small480.jpg
250px-Nanda-sanctuary-annotated.jpg

I do not think you can find anything wilder than this.

Last edited:

amorphous_constellation

My generic prophecy has long been...science will eventually help to make real what religion can only talk about.

It's going to take hell of a lot of global warming for me to stroll around in Montreal in November completely butt naked. I'm a hairy guy, but that's still way over my limit. :p

It's going to take hell of a lot of global warming for me to stroll around in Montreal in November completely butt naked. I'm a hairy guy, but that's still way over my limit.

There are thousands of wonderful parks around the world, natural protected areas and those created by humans, no less than God's Eden.
Top 5 of the World’s Most Beautiful Parks

It happened already. It was internationally outlawed in 1966.

I don’t think liberals would consider it a sin but Jehovahs Witnesses would spend an awful lot of time saying it can only be done by God after science already achieved it

It would not be a scientific endeavour, that's all.

Even Origen, one of the early church fathers, back in 200AD, realised the Garden of Eden is a myth.

I somehow see Eden as somewhat...wilder.

Guys, I'm asking if it would be a sin to create paradise... that's what Eden represented. It's a pretty hardcore theological question. If science could give us paradise, and it may be able to come way closer in the coming centuries, (through anti-aging gene work, automating out all hard labor, having paradise-like areas people can just hang out in and have food delivered by automated drones like it were a bee hive) would it be a sin if this achievement became indiscernible from the eden paradise metaphor. I think as life gets easier and easier, biblical based religion well want more and more distance from it. You must toil in the mud like adam and not allow yourself idle hands for the devil's work, is what they might say. What could could possibly come of large groups of people idly associating together in areas created to replicate paradise, better they toil away then set their minds on relaxing

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
Guys, I'm asking if it would be a sin to create paradise... that's what Eden represented. It's a pretty hardcore theological question. If science could give us paradise, and it may be able to come way closer in the coming centuries, (through anti-aging gene work, automating out all hard labor, having paradise-like areas people can just hang out in and have food delivered by automated drones like it were a bee hive) would it be a sin if this achievement became indiscernible from the eden paradise metaphor. I think as life gets easier and easier, biblical based religion well want more and more distance from it. You must toil in the mud like adam and not allow idle hands for the devil's work, is what they might say. What could could possibly come of large groups of people idly associating together in areas created to replicate paradise, better they toil away then set their minds on relaxing
Ah OK. Thanks for clarifying. I can't see why it would be considered a sin, if it were possible, which it isn't.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Sure, and those may fall under a paradise heading, why not?

It’s basic ignorance. You think your God created this whole show, the sin, the suffering, the repentance and forgiveness, with an end game of being a happy schmuck ?

Sounds like a lot of BS for nothing doesn’t it ?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
directly to title......soon

cloning a human is at our fingertips

you want a mate?.....just like you?
but not quite like you

pending

we can already cut a rib from a man as he sleeps
and we can clone that item
and with a little tweaking the clone could turn up as female

then all we gotta do is make sure she keeps her fingers off the fruit tree

amorphous_constellation

It’s basic ignorance. You think your God created this whole show, the sin, the suffering, the repentance and forgiveness, with an end game of being a happy schmuck ?

Sounds like a lot of BS for nothing doesn’t it ?

If adam was removed from eden, he must have yearned to get back in. As I say, ever century life gets easier and funner, eventually there may be a problem between that and our culture's religions

exchemist

Veteran Member
Ah but every century life gets easier and easier. Why should the trend discontinue itself. Where's your proof. My proof is in the trend
It's not proof at all. We work longer hours today than we did in Mediaeval times, or so I have read.
The evidence that we work fewer hours is simply not there, so far as I can see. Can you cite any evidence that shows it?

Last edited:

amorphous_constellation

Can you cite any evidence that shows it?
Sure, there is a series of videos on the worst dark ages jobs hosted by a british fellow. I think in one of them, they set children in piece work making little gears for clocks I think for many hours a day, that was a little later obviously. But watch a few of those, tell me what you think

sealchan

Guys, I'm asking if it would be a sin to create paradise... that's what Eden represented. It's a pretty hardcore theological question. If science could give us paradise, and it may be able to come way closer in the coming centuries, (through anti-aging gene work, automating out all hard labor, having paradise-like areas people can just hang out in and have food delivered by automated drones like it were a bee hive) would it be a sin if this achievement became indiscernible from the eden paradise metaphor. I think as life gets easier and easier, biblical based religion well want more and more distance from it. You must toil in the mud like adam and not allow yourself idle hands for the devil's work, is what they might say. What could could possibly come of large groups of people idly associating together in areas created to replicate paradise, better they toil away then set their minds on relaxing

Well this is the basic setup for the science fiction myths found in Terminator, Dune, the Matrix and Wall-E. Our automation making us lazy and careless until that automation takes total control.

In these myths the answer might be yes, it would be a sin.