• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would it be best for evolutionists to just ignore creationsts?

St Giordano Bruno

When it comes down to serious scientific debate and some detractors from a certain theory still persist in their steadfast views in spite of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, would be it be best to just ignore them, brush them off and move on to more serious scientific debate such as competing models of evolution theories and hypothesises rather than arguing adnauseum about all this discredited nonsense about young earth creationism. Should these young earth creationists and all creationists be just simply lumped in the same category as flat earth believers and be just simply booed off the scientific stage and just say, next! If they a contributing nothing scientifically IMO I think the best course of action is to just ignore them, period. Evolutionary biology is in itself an evolving discipline and those pesky creationists are contributing nothing.

Last edited:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I agree ignore them and it is no longer a national issue. Ignore them and you can concentrate on the science. Ignore them and you don't have to worry about saying something wrong and stroking the fire.

But they won't ignore them because they are right.:sleep:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It really depends on at what level of debate we are talking about.

On scientific talks proper, well, one can't very well avoid ignoring creationism, since it after all has no research or evidence to speak of.

On a street level, however, it is important to let people know how misinformed their beliefs are.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I agree ignore them and it is no longer a national issue. Ignore them and you can concentrate on the science. Ignore them and you don't have to worry about saying something wrong and stroking the fire.
Ignore them and you'll wake up one day to find that your kids' science textbooks are filled with unscientific creationist nonsense.

It's happened in the past. In fact, it probably would've happened again this year in Texas if not for the major efforts of a huge number of people who decided not to ignore creationism.

Texas Freedom Network: Evolution

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Ignore them and you'll wake up one day to find that your kids' science textbooks are filled with unscientific creationist nonsense.

It's happened in the past. In fact, it probably would've happened again this year in Texas if not for the major efforts of a huge number of people who decided not to ignore creationism.

Texas Freedom Network: Evolution

I have 2 kids in school, I wish dealing with creation nonsense was the only or even the major nonscense I had to deal with. Its not even close.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Should these young earth creationists and all creationists be just simply lumped in the same category as flat earth believers and be just simply booed off the scientific stage and just say, next!

On the face of it... yes.

Consider though, that something like 40% of Americans believe in the bible creation story. That's pretty scary especially considering that some in the US have tried to ram creationism into school curricula. Creationism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia One in Pennsyltucky Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia got slapped down, but that doesn't keep others from trying.

lunakilo

It really depends on at what level of debate we are talking about.

On scientific talks proper, well, one can't very well avoid ignoring creationism, since it after all has no research or evidence to speak of.

On a street level, however, it is important to let people know how misinformed their beliefs are.
I agree 100% with this.

Ignoring people does not make them disappear.
If you don't oppose them on a street level, then they rule the streets.

outhouse

Atheistically
When it comes down to serious scientific debate and some detractors from a certain theory still persist in their steadfast views in spite of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, would be it be best to just ignore them, brush them off and move on to more serious scientific debate such as competing models of evolution theories and hypothesises rather than arguing adnauseum about all this discredited nonsense about young earth creationism. Should these young earth creationists and all creationists be just simply lumped in the same category as flat earth believers and be just simply booed off the scientific stage and just say, next! If they a contributing nothing scientifically IMO I think the best course of action is to just ignore them, period. Evolutionary biology is in itself an evolving discipline and those pesky creationists are contributing nothing.

I do not agree

this is a fight and like it or not science is the underdog in the USA

you can only educate 1 at a time, letting myths go will only let it grow in a sea of misinformation

Draka

Wonder Woman
We can ignore their insane "arguments", but we cannot ignore when they try to make our children believe their insane "arguments". Creationism has no place in schools. Schools should teach science and since Creationism is not scientific then it has no place being taught as such. Cover it in a mythology course if you must, but don't try to teach it as fact.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I tend to ask: what real effects of consequence emerge for someone to believe (or not) in any particular origin story of the universe and the planet?

I tend to care much less WHAT people believe than how it actually influences their behavior. Behavior is measurable, tangible; thoughts are not. It reminds me of a T-shirt I saw someone wearing recently:

Do not worry about what people think. They do not DO it very often.

Man of Faith

That's a good way of not learning, ignoring obvious problems with evolution that creationists bring up. This is why when I debate some evolutionists I have to spend an extraordinary amount of time in educating them to what creation really is. What they do in general, not everyone, is read evolution information, or listen to people call creationists non-scientific, and ignore the creation information when creationists study both sides of the controversy.

It is also a matter of record that some non-religious people do see the problems with the ToE.

Draka

Wonder Woman
That's a good way of not learning, ignoring obvious problems with evolution that creationists bring up. This is why when I debate some evolutionists I have to spend an extraordinary amount of time in educating them to what creation really is. What they do in general, not everyone, is read evolution information, or listen to people call creationists non-scientific, and ignore the creation information when creationists study both sides of the controversy.

It is also a matter of record that some non-religious people do see the problems with the ToE.

There is no "both sides". Even if one finds errors in certain claims made about evolution, it doesn't negate evolution as a fact, nor does it automatically mean that Creationism is a viable and plausible method of explaining how we got here. There is no scientific evidence of any kind that supports a claim of creation. The only claims are along the lines of: "this one thing about evolution can't possibly be true which only leaves one explanation...goddidit". And even if you want to maintain that some non-theists have doubts about evolution, that certainly doesn't mean that they subscribe to the inane idea of Creationism, nor that their apprehension about evolution somehow lends credence to Creationism.

Photonic

Ad astra!

That extraordinary time spent trying to teach them what creationism usually involves ignoring the facts they are presenting to you.