• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would banning abortion make more "back alley" abortions?

Rex

Founder
My thought is if we ban abortions those people who want abortions will just turn to illegal means to carry out that abortion.

Sorta like drugs, pot is illegal but anybody who wants it knows how to get it.

So is there a point?

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
By this logic nothing should be illegal, because someone who wants to can do it.

Rex

Founder
Mister Emu said:
By this logic nothing should be illegal, because someone who wants to can do it.
But I'm using something that was not illegal that might now be illegal.

Pah

Uber all member
Rex_Admin said:
My thought is if we ban abortions those people who want abortions will just turn to illegal means to carry out that abortion.

Sorta like drugs, pot is illegal but anybody who wants it knows how to get it.

So is there a point?

Or travel to places where it is legal. This, of course, makes it an option only for the privilaged.

I'm reminded of a very close relative who had an abortion arranged by our church priest well before Roe v Wade. Those with money or connections will find the safer places to get an abortion but I'm afraid we will again see up to 5,000 deaths a year for those with less money or poor connections.

Bob

Ceridwen018

To reiterate what Mister Emu said, just because people might be forced to revert to more life-threatening means of accomplishing the same ends, such as back alley abortion, does not mean that abortion should be made legal. By that philosophy, coke and heroin would have to be legal as well--I'm sure that far fewer people would die of both substances per year if they had legal support.

Lintu

It will definitely lead to back-alley abortion. Look at Portugal, where it is illegal...More than 1,000 women were hospitalized last year from complications after back-alley abortion. Women will go to drastic measures to end a pregnancy, regardless of whether it's legal or not. I'd rather have people who don't believe in them just not have one...and keep it legal, so that women don't have to suffer or die.

cvipertooth

It would definately lead to back-alley abortions. And abortion cannot be compared to coke or pot. Abortion is, 1st of all, legal, and therefore is excecuted to end a pregnancy for personal reasons. coke and pot are often done illegally just because they are illegal. Abortion is something that is safe legally but dangerous illegally, whil Drugs are dangerous either way. So you cant really compare the two

Reactions: Pah

huajiro

I know this sounds cruel, but maybe we need to go back to that to make people think twice before creating life and taking it away so casually

Pah

Uber all member
huajiro said:
I know this sounds cruel, but maybe we need to go back to that to make people think twice before creating life and taking it away so casually

But so many pregnancies are not planned and I don't think it is entirely something irresponsible.

Bob

jewscout

Religious Zionist
I think that making abortions illegal will lead to backalley abortions. That being said i'm not a big fan of abortion though i am pro-choice. I think a woman should be given a safe environment in which to have such a procedure and the repercusions of that will be between her and G-d. Personally i wouldn't want my gf to have one.