• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would a Real Deity Sit in Judgement?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
so....there COULD be someone between you and God

not only your Prophet
your Mentor
a legion of scribes and clergy
and even more devoted followers

and your position in heaven is dealt by......judgement?

would that be God's judgement?
or your own?

PruePhillip

Upon serious reflection, is it rational to suppose that a real deity would judge people and/or the world?

BONUS QUESTION: Why would a judging god not be an insane god?

EDIT: There are some bright people on RF, but are there any bright people who are willing to think?

The bible judged the Jewish people. They were to be exiled for a long, long time
before given the opportunity to return to their ancient homeland.
Came true, actually, against all the odds and against all the views of academics.

MonkeyFire

Upon serious reflection, is it rational to suppose that a real deity would judge people and/or the world?

EDIT: There are some bright people on RF, but are there any bright people who are willing to think?

Use you better judgement, but don't relentlessly judge others.

If you wish to be saved you must go through judgement.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Le

lets see your evidence then. If it is what I think it is, it fails.

Yep it is a bold assertion. Nope there is no evidence you would accept regarding the matter.

Just like there is no evidence for what you assert. Either you interpret it wrong, or you pretend it is what it is not.

Hey, asked first, why you trying to shift your responsibility onto me.

My evidence does not fail because it is based on reality, not bronze age myth

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Sorry, your problem is with Jesus Christ, not me.

I have absolutely no problem with Jesus. The Sermon on the Mount is one of my favorite religious teachings among them all. Much of what Jesus said is a reiteration, encapsulation and repacking for the simple people in his audience of the Bhagavad Gita and even some Buddhist philosophy.

I have a problem with his followers and what they make of his teachings. What Jesus taught was dharma, no different than what the Buddha, Krishna or even Lao tzu, for that matter, taught.

I probably have more admiration, respect and reverence for his teachings now as a non-Christian than I did as a practicing Christian. Now I see things differently, probably as they were meant to be. I don’t question them as invalid because they’re not all that different than the others I mentioned, which is what I try to live by.

He said ¨ I am the resurrection and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me΅. This is awfully clear,

That’s a narrow view. He was addressing the people of his time and place. They had forgotten how to approach God. He knew the way and was teaching it. Was anyone going to know God from the Pharisees or priests? No.

Why is it so hard to believe that many other teachers, sages, yogis, and gurus outside of Jesus’s circle and society didn’t also have that knowledge and pass it on? (spoiler hint: they did). Therein lies the problem: it’s not with Christianity, it’s with the belief that that verse negates all other means to reach God.

That’s the problem I have. And if by extension that problem attaches itself to a person or group of persons, so be it. But Jesus isn’t the problem.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
We have to define “sin”.
My definition is not living up to your best understanding of what life expects of you. The common teaching of major religion and secular humanism I find to be my personal ideals. These are ideas such as honesty, minimizing the personal ego's expression and so forth.

shmogie

Hey, asked first, why you trying to shift your responsibility onto me.

My evidence does not fail because it is based on reality, not bronze age myth
Then produce it.

I have stated that there is no evidence for God, that science would accept.

You proclaim your position is not based in faith, but in evidence.

So, produce it, and lets see.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Then produce it.

I have stated that there is no evidence for God, that science would accept.

You proclaim your position is not based in faith, but in evidence.

So, produce it, and lets see.

You moved your goalposts when challenged. How typical.

Then attempt to shift the onus on to your challenger. How typical

sealchan

Nature and evolution judge what species will survive in the complex entanglement that is Gaia. Early beliefs had to account for the amorality of God's creation, a fact so many of us seem to want to bury in the fantasy of a perfect, rational appearance pure goodness.

Dell

Asteroid insurance?

Speaking for only Abrahamic religions, expecially Christianity, concerning judgement expecially condemnation to damnation. God if really the almighty can do what ever, that is insane, inequality, preferential, unexplainable.. on and on. Who can do anything about it? If God is accountable as being righteousness and so on, he will have some explaining to do also.

1. Why did he create a universe void of his presence?
2. Why did he propagate the only understanding him in the last 4000 years or so by corrupt religious organizations instead of making himself obvious to the world.
3. How can he condemn the ignorance of those who never was born into the right religion?

Any intelligence can see there is a contradiction. If we can understand that how can a super intelligence not understand it? Easy to see the old bible thinking of the day was unequally biased to a its religion and control, obviously creating a God who judges like that.