• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would a Real Deity Sit in Judgement?

shmogie

Yeah Shmogie, it's all about you and your religion. You're the center of the universe. Gosh, how could anything not be about you.
You have already heard from other faiths on the issue, and those faiths seem not to have gods that judge.

That leaves the God of the Abrahamic religions, Christianity, Judaism, and Allah of Islam.

So, as a Christian your post applies to me directly. I have to answer within the theological framework and reference points I know.

I did.

Of course it isn´t abut me, but rather, my religion.

If my commentary on your motives is wrong, say so, and explain your motive.

I will happily retract my comments if they are incorrect.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Upon serious reflection, is it rational to suppose that a real deity would judge people and/or the world?

BONUS QUESTION: Why would a judging god not be an insane god?

EDIT: There are some bright people on RF, but are there any bright people who are willing to think?

A God could do whatever they wanted in the name of entertainment, which I'd assume would be the only real purpose of any creation for such a God.

The question of sanity is non sequitur when it comes to an omnipotent being since reality would be whatever they chose it to be.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I will happily retract my comments if they are incorrect.

Do you honestly think I would trust you to judge something -- anything-- I say? I will explain myself to my neighbor's dog before I explain myself to someone who denies evolution, global climate change, the corruption of the current administration, etc etc. etc.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Upon serious reflection, is it rational to suppose that a real deity would judge people and/or the world?

EDIT: There are some bright people on RF, but are there any bright people who are willing to think?
shame on you.....

I think...……..God would choose His company
and He might have a standard
over your head

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Has the thread become about judging God because @Sunstone asked if gods who judge can be considered crazy?

I thought the thread is about gods judging us?

Depends, omnipotent Gods can't be crazy since reality is whatever they imagine it to be.
On the other hand some Gods who aren't omnipotent, why couldn't they pass judgement since reality could exist/act independent of them?

Either case, makes no logical sense to consider them crazy on that basis.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think my post was more than opinion

If God be God.....
why allow someone unworthy to sit alongside?

is it not held by many?
God's Favored got the boot

Doesn't look like you even bothered to understand the OP.

Big surprise there.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Sounds like you have an issue with judgmental gods too. :D

The whole idea/concept comes from the time of Judges in the Bible, and then later of the king being the judge in social and criminal issues. God is just a placeholder for the ultimate king. But as such, he/she would have to have a certain level of ethics/morals that correspond to us, and he/she doesn't. God is amoral, without the human constraints of ethics/morals, perhaps that would make him/her more fare, but then, maybe he/she wouldn't even care. It's almost like having a psychopath as a judge. Can we be sure he/she just won't make wrong decisions based on different perspectives that mismatch our own?

Also, if God created us, then we are the way we are because he/she made us this way. It's like me wringing a software, and it works in certain ways, and then I take some of the code that I don't like personally and print it out on paper and throw the paper in the over to be cooked and burnt for eternity. It does sound like an insane God.

yeah. Like my last paragraph above. If we are the "perfect" creation of God, our actions correspond to his design, and what would be the use of him/her throwing us in some eternal fire. And when it comes to the devil having corrupted us, it only means that the devil has a lot more power to influence God's "perfect" design than any lowlife creature could. To me, it would make the devil a deity with creating powers. Also, wouldn't God already know that it would happen and make him a co-conspirator? So whatever way we turn it, I feel a judging and punishing creator god must be of his/er rockers.

shmogie

Do you honestly think I would trust you to judge something -- anything-- I say? I will explain myself to my neighbor's dog before I explain myself to someone who denies evolution, global climate change, the corruption of the current administration, etc etc. etc.
Well, lets see, I do not deny evolution. I think there are significant gaps in the evidence for macro evolution.

I have never denied that there is climate change. I have questioned the evidence of how much of this change is caused by human activity. More importantly, I have questioned whether The US alone, sacrificing itś economy in the process, can effect a change. It is obvious that the major producers Co2 emissions will not take the draconian actions many want the US to take. If we cannot sacrifice a nation of over 320 million, and save the world, then it is all a waste and we would be better off preparing our people to adapt to the new reality.

there is corruption in every administration. I suspect very soon you will learn a lot more about the corruption in the Obama administration. That of VP Biden will destroy his bid for the Democratic nomination. His forcing the president of Ukraine, by withholding granted taxpayer money till the government attorney investigating his son was fired is just the tip of the iceberg.

I look at matters from the standpoint of the law. I reserve judgement till I think I have the facts, the evidence. I apply this standard to the current administration, to every administration.

Does your neighbors dog talk back to you ?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I would mostly go along with that but add the paradox that God as man can sin but God as God forgives the sin because God is forgiving himself as limited man from "sinning".

We have to define “sin”.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

Deity I don't know.
God does not judge.

Judging God indeed is insane concept

Yes

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member

My Lord does not judge , but gives ample loving guidance and suggestions for successful existence, to those who are willing to hold the Lotus Hand He holds out. He makes it clear that actions have consequences, so right action is the way, and only possible when one is One in Spirit with the Source of all. "Yogastha kuru karmANi" - it is a skill and a life-long learning, but easier for the devotee of the Source.

Bhagavad Git 5.15
The all-pervading Supreme Brahman', affectionately described as VibhU, does not take anyone's sin or good deeds (puNya) towards Himself/Itself (i.e. the Spirit is aloof and unattached). However, [unfortunately], ignorance covers knowledge [of the Spirit], therefore, all ignorant beings are lost in tempations and illusions.

If this is so, why doesn't the Supreme help them see the truth and wake up? Sure He does.

[
To gain the wisdom to understand the gist of scripture , even gradually or partially, the key is to connect with the Supreme Original One first, and the good news? He lives in each heart! Hidden, covered, as long as one refuses to look.]

Bhagavad Geeta - which has a medicine tailored for all kinds. The extroverts, introverts, the wise, the kshatriyas, everyone.
Uddhav Geeta (BhAgvat MahaPuran Canto 11, conversation between Shri KRshNa and Uddhav)
All Upanishads and Brahma-sUtra - VedAnta, the Truth rolled out.
PurANas
Patanjali Yoga sUtras -- emphasis on regular discipline of body-mind, yama (morals) , niyama (rules or disciplines), dhAraNa (resolve), dhyAn (meditative focus on Spirit), samAdhI (ultimate union "Yoga" , with the Divine Supreme Source)

Wisdom of the original Gautam Buddha or Tao -- practice, go inwards, only if you are driven to be the embodiment of peace, and do not worry too much about God's ontology.

Wisdom in the other religions that drown in Love of God -- Mystics, Sikhs, Sufis (derivatives of VedAntic Hindu mysticism (like Aurobindo) and Bhagavd Prem (like Meera and Chaitanya and numerous others))
Bahai religion as I see it is following a mystic who was in love with God.

Wisdom in the Bible -- NOT the irrational dogma and historical context, but the VedAntic roots of Christ for instance.
Wisdom in the QuraN --- NOT the violence or anything psycopathic out of context.

Last edited:

Bible tells God gives eternal life for righteous. Because of that, I think the judgment is for to determine who will get that eternal life and why. I don’t think there is any good reason to say it is insane.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

This is the judgment, that the light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the light; for their works were evil. For everyone who does evil hates the light, and doesn't come to the light, lest his works would be exposed. But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his works may be revealed, that they have been done in God."
John 3:19-21

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I wouldn't mind being judged by a deity as long as it was dressed in tight black leather wielding a crop and telling me I was a naughty boy.