• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Bible quotes

Ori

Angel slayer
Bible quotes spring up wherever there's a good debate going on, and if not then it's usually dictionary definitions for things.

"Thou art my battle axe and weapons of war: for with thee will I break in pieces the nations, and with thee will I destroy kingdoms"

- Jeremiah 51:20

Whatever happened to "Turn the other cheek"?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Doesn't "turn the other cheek" come later, in the New Testament? Not sure, it'e been a long time.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
orichalcum said:
Bible quotes spring up wherever there's a good debate going on, and if not then it's usually dictionary definitions for things.

"Thou art my battle axe and weapons of war: for with thee will I break in pieces the nations, and with thee will I destroy kingdoms"

- Jeremiah 51:20

Whatever happened to "Turn the other cheek"?
this is not talking about any one person but is a prophecy dealing w/ the downfall of Babylon (i think)
again, "turn the other cheek" is from christian text, Jeremiah is orginally a jewish text

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I have always had an 'open' question mark as to the difference between the old and the new testament; I found this :-http://www.auburn.edu/student_info/search_truth/basics/testaments2.htm

an extract of which is as follows:-

The New Testament also teaches that Old Testament was imperfect because it could not offer forgiveness of sins, but merely "rolling them back" until Christ's ultimate sacrifice. The entire book of Hebrews is specifically focused on showing that the Old Covenant is inferior to the New, and that New Testament Christians should not abide by this inferior covenant when they have something so superior. In fact, the writer of Hebrews actually quotes the above passage from Jeremiah to make this point (Hebrews 8:6-13). Another significant difference is who was given the covenants. The Old Testament was a covenant given strictly for the Jews, or Israelites. Non-Jews, or Gentiles, could adopt the Jewish covenant and become "prostelytes", but there was no special law and relationship offered that was for the Gentiles as the Old Testament was for the Jews. However, the New Testament made no distinction. One of the great things about the New Testament is that God's message and special covenant relationship is extended to all races and peoples. Consequently, the writings of the Old Testament generally track the story of the Israelites with a few exceptions, and the New Testament writings contain the gospel of Jesus and of the spread of the gospel all over the world, as well as directions for the new Christians.

The Application

So what is the application for us today? There are two things we should learn and put in practice. One, the Old and New Testaments are synonyms for Old and New Covenant, not testimonies. Second, the Old Testament was done away at the cross by Christ's death, which ushered in the New Testament. Therefore, we are no longer under obligation to keep the laws of the Old Testament, neither is it authority to justify our actions today. But rather, we are bound to the New Testament and to use it for authority.

Is this accurate?:help:

Ori

Angel slayer
"Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones"
Psalm 137, Verse 9

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
I think that you sould really look at things in context, otherswise you might actually think that God likes baby killers.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
He certainly had a thing for murderers. Take Samson, for example. He killed forty innocent men in order to obtain enough sets of clothing to pay back a gambling debt. Many other times, when he killed such people, it was said that the "Spirit of the Lord" came upon him.

john313

warrior-poet
the bible is full of lies and slanders against the great prophets. like Lot offering up his concubine to be beaten and raped, then when she comes back he murders and cuts her into pieces.
Judges 19:24-30 "Behold, [here is] my daughter a maiden, and his concubine; them I will bring out now, and humble ye them, and do with them what seemeth good unto you: but unto this man do not so vile a thing. But the men would not hearken to him: so the man took his concubine, and brought her forth unto them; and they knew her, and abused her all the night until the morning: and when the day began to spring, they let her go.Then came the woman in the dawning of the day, and fell down at the door of the man's house where her lord [was], till it was light. And her lord rose up in the morning, and opened the doors of the house, and went out to go his way: and, behold, the woman his concubine was fallen down [at] the door of the house, and her hands [were] upon the threshold. And he said unto her, Up, and let us be going. But none answered. Then the man took her [up] upon an ***, and the man rose up, and gat him unto his place. And when he was come into his house, he took a knife, and laid hold on his concubine, and divided her, [together] with her bones, into twelve pieces, and sent her into all the coasts of Israel.And it was so, that all that saw it said, There was no such deed done nor seen from the day that the children of Israel came up out of the land of Egypt unto this day: consider of it, take advice, and speak [your minds].

john313

warrior-poet
Druidus said:
He certainly had a thing for murderers. Take Samson, for example. He killed forty innocent men in order to obtain enough sets of clothing to pay back a gambling debt. Many other times, when he killed such people, it was said that the "Spirit of the Lord" came upon him.
i believe Judges also says Samson killed 3000 people in his "suicide bomber" style death, women and children too. i cannot remember the verse right now, my apologies.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
You know,

It appears that this thread is nothing but a troll, designed only to ellicit a reaction from some of us. Sorry I answered to it earlier, and even more so since the trolls seem to be accumulating.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
I hope I am not a troll for speaking my opinion of the Bible. I see it as a collection of the Mythos of various peoples, in some cases, borrowed from other cultures.

If I raise a point that Sampson, with his special kinship to God, being the only man to be a Nazarite from birth, was a murderer, I am not attacking Christianity. Merely stating fact.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
Druidus said:
I hope I am not a troll for speaking my opinion of the Bible. I see it as a collection of the Mythos of various peoples, in some cases, borrowed from other cultures.
It is one thing to speak your opinion about religion or a religious topic, it is quite another to begin a thread whose sole purpose is to insite an emotional response from those that believe in the Bible. I don't think that you are a troll Druidus, it's just that some of these posts do nothing more than to attempt to make those of us who believe in the Bible look inhumane for doing so.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Druidus,

There is a far cry from pointing out the obvious... to telling everyone that the Bible is "full of lies and slanders". Were I to say that of their holy book, I would be villified in an instant.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
By no means do I think that (all) Christians are inhumane. Not even most. I see your point that some of these quotes do seem geared towards making Christianity look foolish, or even evil. But it is my belief that if a believer believes in kindness and love, they are good people. Kindness and love are essential to true Christianity, therefore, I believe Christians are good people, on the whole. If I seem to be attacking Christianity, it is merely because I feel that the Bible is not inerrent. It is more of a guideline, rather than a literal text.

:)

I also agree that taken out of context, many quotes from the Bible seem wrong or immoral. Context must be maintained.

Finnyhaha

like Lot offering up his concubine to be beaten and raped, then when she comes back he murders and cuts her into pieces.
Two different stories. Lot offered his two daughters to the villagers of Sodom, to do with as they like, but they were rejected. The concubine story you're refering to, I think is somewhere in Judges, and concerns a man from the tribe of Benjamin. . . I believe.

Finnyhaha

Isn't a thousand years like a day to God? *cheeky smile*

Yeah, I know it's just poetic metaphor, but honestly, isn't God supposed to be unchanging? And omniscient as well, which would mean that he would never change his position because he would KNOW which was the right position to have. I suppose it could be said that in OT times going around inciting war and ordering his followers to decimate entire ethnicities was the right thing to do, but that suddenly two thousand years ago that became not cool. *shrug*

I guess it's better to believe in a changing God than to still have the attitude that is prevalent in so much of the OT. But then again, what about, "I come not to bring peace but a sword" and that passage about hating your brother for the love of Christ?

Oh well.