• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worshipping the bible?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Is it possible to worship the bible? Is doing so heresy? Do we worship the bible when we take it as the sole guide to faith?

No*s

Captain Obvious
Sunstone said:
Is it possible to worship the bible? Is doing so heresy? Do we worship the bible when we take it as the sole guide to faith?

Yes on all three counts. Yes, it is possible. Worship is simply ascribing to a thing the highest possible honors and devotion. To many people, it seems the Bible is completely synonomous with God.

Yes, this is a heresy, and yes when it is taken as the guide it is bibliolatry. It sets the Bible up as a unique image of God and the one place where we can really see God; this is an idol.

This, in its turn, inevitably leads away from the view of Christ and God espoused in the Christianity, because no matter how grand a book, it is still a book. It does not live, breathe, or interact. It at best simply causes thoughts to arise in us. We, though, must interpret it, so the book becomes a justification for everything when it is the sole source of authority.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Do you see a relationship between worshiping the bible and the politicalization of Christianity?

No*s

Captain Obvious
Sunstone said:
Do you see a relationship between worshiping the bible and the politicalization of Christianity?

No. Christianity came about before the idea of a separation of church and state, and became a state church. It's been there so long, that I think it's a natural tendency in it. This will appear whether the Christians in question are Sola Scriptura or not.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Funny this comes up, since my 9 year old sister just slapped my 2 year old sister for trying to rip a page out of the Bible when she didn't know better and screaming at her about how you can't do that, because that's The Bible!!!

I think many people around here worship the Bible and can't see that it's only a book. There are wise words in it, but that doesn't make it any less of a book.

Are there any verses in particular that speak against holding the Bible on a pedestal?

No*s

Captain Obvious
Jensa said:
Funny this comes up, since my 9 year old sister just slapped my 2 year old sister for trying to rip a page out of the Bible when she didn't know better and screaming at her about how you can't do that, because that's The Bible!!!

I think many people around here worship the Bible and can't see that it's only a book. There are wise words in it, but that doesn't make it any less of a book.

Are there any verses in particular that speak against holding the Bible on a pedestal?

There are verses that may be applied that way, but no verses that speak on it. The concept of a closed collection of books didn't come until later in Christianity. It wasn't until about the thirteenth century before we even find someone wanting to make it the sole authority over a Christian, and this was a minority opinion until the Reformation.

The Bible cannot speak directly against a sentiment that could not exist when it was written, nor would it be prophetically condemned since it would make no sense to the hearers.

No*s

Captain Obvious
Sunstone said:
What are the spiritual consequences of worshiping the bible?

Well from my perspective, there are several :). First, I see it as being used as a proof-text for any old value. It also leads to constant rehashing of the same problems (ones settled centuries ago if people were to look beyond it). Everyone that looks at it sees something different. The Bible doesn't define itself. This results in an enormous amount of conflict. The conflict creates ambiguity, because it's difficult to see what is true. This ambiguity leads to relativism. So, I would consider that a pretty big consequence. It reshapes a society.

That's the biggest one I see. It also results in heresy. It cannot help it, because of the multiplicity of readings. Given time, the rise in all the denominations is inevitable when it is the sole authority, and unity becomes impossible.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
The word "Bibliolatry" won't be found in the Scriptures.

Let's look at this on a couple of levels (at least).

Are the "pages" sacrosanct. Of course not. Making it so WOULD make it iconic (like those statues of Jesus or of Mary). Tearing out pages from any Bible has little consequence in God's eyes. Those that worship the physical presence would be just as guilty as those who have the aforementioned statues to worship. One might even make the same case for worshiping a physical cross as well. Icons are icons and God has always hated them.

Are the "words" sacrosanct? Most are not, though there are a few that might be. The entire New Testament started out as a translation. The events happened in Aramaic, and not in Greek. Some of the "discrepencies" arise out of differing translations of what our Lord said. The various authors emphasized what was important to them. Reading them all gives you a far better understanding of what went on.

Some words were written in situ. Namely Jesus' last words on the cross. Although, the scripture gives us a translation, the words were SO important, that the authors chose to present them just as Jesus said them. These are the REAL red letter words in the scriptures.

Are the "teachings" sacrosanct? I would say yes. If you look at the IMPACT the First Century church had, it is obvious they were doing something RIGHT. The further we stray from that perfect doctrine the further we stray from Jesus. Real unity can only be achieved by getting closer to the doctrine of the First Century church. Unfortunately, many churches have put their traditions above that first "gospel". Most denominations are a direct result of men wanting to get BACK to the primitive church. So when these traditions take over, those intent on doing God's will start to leave. If you want to stop the "splintering" then they should repent and get back to the scriptures.

Dr. Khan

NetDoc said:
The word "Bibliolatry" won't be found in the Scriptures.

Are the "teachings" sacrosanct? I would say yes. If you look at the IMPACT the First Century church had, it is obvious they were doing something RIGHT. The further we stray from that perfect doctrine the further we stray from Jesus. Real unity can only be achieved by getting closer to the doctrine of the First Century church. Unfortunately, many churches have put their traditions above that first "gospel". Most denominations are a direct result of men wanting to get BACK to the primitive church. So when these traditions take over, those intent on doing God's will start to leave. If you want to stop the "splintering" then they should repent and get back to the scriptures.
You said a mouthful there Doc. The missing link is the baptism in the Holy Ghost as John The Baptist first made mention of that Jesus would do to the bedlievers. I believe the Holy Ghost was taken away as it is spoken of in 2Thesssalonians 2, the saints being overcome by the Beast (the Roman Empire and turned around by Constatine's dream to Use the Sign of the Cross to conquer. We are more than conquerers through Jesus. Satan gave this Emporer this dream and The Church is history until Martin Luther.
Well we don't have this baptism until a century ago. Tribulation and anguish upon the soul of every pastor and leader who stirred his congregation away from the divine Spirit that in the beginning could bring the races together in the early nineteen hundreds as if there was no difference tribulation and anguish upon the souls of them who for racist attitudes have keep people away from each other in christianity in this country which is the first place in all the world to have the infilling of the Holy Spirit to return the Christianity. [As far as the bible is concerned two things come to mind that should settle the issue. Man shall not l;ive by bread alone but by every word which proceedes out of the mouth of God. And Wherfeby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises that by these you may partake of the divine nature and escape the corruption that is in the world through lust.] In that book is treasures unlimited.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
We've always had the baptism! :D

Ephesians 4:1 As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. 2 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. 3 Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. 4 There is one body and one Spirit-- just as you were called to one hope when you were called-- 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

Dr. Khan

NetDoc said:
We've always had the baptism! :D

4 There is one body and one Spirit-- just as you were called to one hope when you were called-- 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.
Acts19:5-6
When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. And When Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues and prophesied.

There is the baptism with water. Remember John said I baptize with water but He will baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire. This where the Holy Ghost came on them is the work done by Jesus. there's water (natural) and Spirit(supernatural) We can baptize with water in Jesus' name, but only Jesus can baptize you with the Holy Ghost.
Now my experience is foound in John 7:37 -39. Look very closely at the words of John in verse 39, (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive:) Even the King James people put those words in parenthasees . ok so I can't spell that word.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
**MOD POST**

The thread topic is the worship of the bible, not baptism. If you want to discuss baptism, please start a new thread.

Nick Soapdish

Secret Agent
It does not make sense to worship the Bible as an idol or a divine person. However, we must recognize that it is an instrument with a very specific purpose to teach us how to live our lives.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Sunstone said:
We should not worship the Bible...however the scriptures, especially the Torah which traditional Judaism holds is Divinely revealed, is not something to take lightly...it is the meat and potatoes of the whole thing!

Ronald

God is Holy, the Bible is His word and it is Holy and His people are to be Holy.
So! If I reverence my Bible and kiss it, I am worshipping my Bible?
RF don't you ever get tired of chasing every rabbit? LOL.

may

Sunstone said:

All Scripture (in the bible)is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work.(2 timothy 3; 16)

. God is a Spirit, and those worshiping him must worship with spirit and truth." (John 4:23, 24) To worship God "with spirit," we must have his spirit and be guided by that spirit. It is possible to worship God ‘with truth’ by studying his Word, the Bible, and by worshiping him according to his revealed truth