• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worshiping elements

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I am toying with becoming Druid, but I want to worship the sun, sky, water and fire without associating deities with them. Is this a thing?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Not that I know about Druidry, but Atenism, (albeit a huge Kemetic heresy) as far as I can tell, is worship of the literal sun-disc, as opposed to the sun-disc representing a God. So you may also find some precedence for this in other religions.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Not that I know about Druidry, but Atenism, (albeit a huge Kemetic heresy) as far as I can tell, is worship of the literal sun-disc, as opposed to the sun-disc representing a God. So you may also find some precedence for this in other religions.

Thank you. I was getting a little confused about Ra, Amun-Ra, Aten, etc.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I am toying with becoming Druid, but I want to worship the sun, sky, water and fire without associating deities with them. Is this a thing?
Well, yes. Independent or Solitary or whatever you want to call it. You don't have to have named deities, just recognize Sun, Sky, Water and Fire as themselves, or as avatars or symbols or whatever, and carry out your devotions and rituals.

I'm not familiar with details about Druidry, but since this is a Neopagan and Revival thread, I think you can learn and borrow what you will. In my opinion.

Good luck!

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

Yup. The AODA founded by John Michael Greer utilizes the elements moreso then any Deity. It's a good organization and my first foray into Druidry.

Ancient Order of Druids in America – Traditional Nature Spirituality for Today.

He also has a book titled "The Druidry Handbook" which covers a lot of his ideas and gives a rough outline of his study program as presented on AODA.

Last edited:

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Yup. The AODA founded by John Michael Greer utilizes the elements moreso then nay Deity. It's a good organization nad my first foray into Druidry.

Ancient Order of Druids in America – Traditional Nature Spirituality for Today.

He also has a book titled "The Druidry Handbook" which covers a lot of his ideas and gives a.roivh outline of his study program as presented on AODA.

I think I ordered one of his books, but not that one. I want to get it, but some of these books are expensive. To me, anyway, I am a cheapskate. I will get it though. Thanks!

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम

It certainly can be. Most Celtic practitioners see the universe as Land, Sea and Sky.

Hildeburh

Not really the Druids were the priests of the Celts, the Celts were polytheists.

Here is a list of Celtic deities:

A List of Celtic Gods and Goddesses

As you can see by reading this list, their deities were complex, they were not only associated with, or connected to, the elements but also with other aspects of human society and nature.

To boil the Druid belief system down to the four elements would misrepresent their complexity of their polytheistic religion. Their deities helped them connect not only to nature but also to make sense of life, sickness and death.

If you want to understand the Druids or modern Druidry you could join The Order of the Druids and Ovates:

Celtic Reconstructionism | Order of Bards, Ovates & Druids

Last edited: