• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World's worst philosopher

Heyo

Veteran Member
For a spin..... Among the best philosophers, not the worst, I would say Thomas Aquinas. There are a few others I like too, but I'd have to use Google to refresh my memory before speaking on them very intimately.

It's also not that Thomas Aquinas is my main, a few are my main, but he's certainly up there.
My favourite philosopher is Douglas Adams. He makes you think and doesn't hit you over the head with his thoughts.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
The dialogues were a literary device, apparently invented by Plato to showcase Socrates' method of reasoning. Plato's Republic was written 2300 years ago in a culture in many ways utterly alien to our own. The fact that it is accessible to the modern reader, suggests it's been a successful device, which has stood the test of time rather well.

It does require a bit of effort on the part of the modern reader, but so does Homer. I'm sure if Socrates and Plato had access to Twitter, they'd have been pithier.
I have known of no philosopher who has ever been pithy...:confused::mad:o_O:eek::D:oops::rolleyes:

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
The one that leads to nirvana.

That depends on how you read the philosopher.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09552360802440017?journalCode=casp20

"Nietzsche's philosophy of will, expounded primarily through the Zarathustra essays, provides an active and affirmative alternative for understanding and attaining nirvana. His ideas of free will and will to power have commonalities with Buddhist practice and thought, including nonattachment, nihilism, no-self, and meditation. Nietzschean will revises the Buddhist notion of right effort to answer questions about coping with inner suffering and outer-world corruption. It shows nirvana to be less a state of passive being and more a state of active becoming."