• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World wide marches against Mordor on the Potomac

omega2xx

Sour grapes. You just wish Trump had been able to pull in half as many people to his inauguration. :D

The cry babies who are protesting Trumps election are the one eating sour grapes. I don't care how many were at Trumps inauguration. I only care about who they were inaugurating.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The two-party system and consequent polarisation contributes a lot. Would you guys please get serious about some of the third parties?

I've heard the problem is the presidential system tends to favor two parties. Going to several viable parties would probably require us to adopt a new system. Not likely to happen.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I'm heartened by the world wide response to the call to #resist

Sometimes the message is fun:

1024x1024.jpg
It would be interesting to see a video comparison of the world and America's reaction to the different presidents over time.

Kirran

Premium Member
I've heard the problem is the presidential system tends to favor two parties. Going to several viable parties would probably require us to adopt a new system. Not likely to happen.

I wonder - in the UK we have a pseudo-two-party system. There is significant influence from other parties, but there are only two parties which could ever form a government, or lead a coalition. Other countries with systems very similar to ours have more genuinely multi-party systems where at least three parties have the possibility of leading the country, or making up a major proportion of the government (it helps when you have certain areas where a fairly small minority party can form a majority), like India and Iceland

Parliamentary democracy and proportional representation tend to select for such systems, and don't lead to the level of divisiveness that you folks are getting into.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I wonder - in the UK we have a pseudo-two-party system. There is significant influence from other parties, but there are only two parties which could ever form a government, or lead a coalition. Other countries with systems very similar to ours have more genuinely multi-party systems where at least three parties have the possibility of leading the country, or making up a major proportion of the government (it helps when you have certain areas where a fairly small minority party can form a majority), like India and Iceland

Parliamentary democracy and proportional representation tend to select for such systems, and don't lead to the level of divisiveness that you folks are getting into.

I blame a lot of the divisiveness on the media, rather than the system. Rush Limbaugh alone has been demonizing the left for decades. In fact, he was one of the first to use the sort of divisive rhetoric you hear as commonplace these days.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I wonder why so many conservatives are upset over these demonstrations. What's wrong with freedom of expression? Isn't that why many on the right claim to be against the "campus left"?

The politics of the right wing on most issues seems to be as delusional as it is immoral.

Kirran

Premium Member
I blame a lot of the divisiveness on the media, rather than the system. Rush Limbaugh alone has been demonizing the left for decades. In fact, he was one of the first to use the sort of divisive rhetoric you hear as commonplace these days.

Makes sense, I think they both contribute.

Shall we start a movement?