• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Today I read to my horror this news...

"20 million at risk of starvation in world's largest crises since 1945 - U.N."

UN: World facing largest humanitarian crisis since 1945 - CNN.com

How can this be? We have so much wealth today? But it is in the hands of the few. I read that war was the main cause with drought the other. Science may be able to find solutions with drought but doesn't it fall on us who belong to a religion, to create an environment where poverty can be eliminated?

Clearly, the economic system is set up to advantage the wealthy in pursuit of more wealth not provide universal employment, universal Medicare or universal education for the poor.

But war. Do we need it? Wars cannot be fought by politicians. You need armies ready to see fellow humans as the enemy to do that. So this 'us' and 'them' syndrome makes it easier to kill each other. It is promoted in the media - it is called nationalism or racism, we are 'us' the good guys and they are 'them' the enemy.

Has opposing war stopped it? Then how do we stop wars? What do you think? Couldn't the $trillions from military budgets instead be spent on improving the lot of the poor, world employment, world health care? What is the obstacle then?

Isn't it prejudice for or against others colour, race or religion which helps us view them as 'otherness' rather than fellow human beings?

If we were able to see ourselves as one human family, couldn't we eliminate war and then with the massive funds available include in our economic systems first priority for jobs and health care and lastly profit taking? Couldn't we, if we saw each other as one family and abandoned wars, set up a just and moral economic system?

Isn't it the duty of all religionists to help create such an environment where world peace can flourish and the resulting benefits of no war expenditures improve the lot of millions of poor? Isn't helping the poor a teaching of many religions? Then don't we need to be instrumental in setting up a just and moral system to eliminate poverty? Or is that just up to the politicians who clearly are only interested in feeding their huge armies $billions? That won't change. We clearly, as humans must do something.

Isn't the building of a moral and just system what is needed not just personal belief?

We believe that any system without morals and justice is doomed to failure so we are building communities throughout the world based on spiritual foundations and for all people not just our religion.

This system is for all people. We have many people from different religions and no religion help build it.

The only way to build a new just world is to spiritualise people with love above all, for all humanity.

Frontiers of Learning

Last edited:

psychoslice

Veteran Member

How can this be? We have so much wealth today? I read that war was the main cause with drought the other. Science may be able to find solutions with drought but doesn't it fall on us who belong to a religion, to create an environment where poverty can be eliminated?

Clearly, the economic system is set up to advantage the wealthy in pursuit of more wealth not provide universal employment, universal Medicare or universal education for the poor.

But war. Do we need it? Wars cannot be fought by politicians. You need armies ready to see fellow humans as the enemy to do that. So this 'us' and 'them' syndrome makes it easier to kill each other. It is promoted in the media - it is called nationalism or racism, we are 'us' the good guys and they are 'them' the enemy.

Has opposing war stopped it? Then how do we stop wars? What do you think? Couldn't the $trillions from military budgets instead be spent on improving the lot of the poor, world employment, world health care? What is the obstacle then?

Isn't it prejudice for or against others colour, race or religion which helps us view them as 'otherness' rather than fellow human beings?

If we were able to see ourselves as one human family, couldn't we eliminate war and then with the massive funds available include in our economic systems first priority for jobs and health care and lastly profit taking? Couldn't we, if we saw each other as one family and abandoned wars, set up a just and moral economic system?

Isn't it the duty of all religionists to help create such an environment where world peace can flourish and the resulting benefits of no war expenditures improve the lot of millions of poor? Isn't helping the poor a teaching of many religions? Then don't we need to be instrumental in setting up a just and moral system to eliminate poverty? Or is that just up to the politicians who clearly are only interested in feeding their huge armies $billions? That won't change. We clearly, as humans must do something.

Isn't the building of a moral and just system what is needed not just personal belief?

We believe that any system without morals and justice is doomed to failure so we are building communities throughout the world based on spiritual foundations and for all people not just our religion.

This system is for all people. We have many people from different religions and no religion help build it.

The only way to build a new just world is to spiritualise people with love above all, for all humanity.

Frontiers of Learning
What do you mean by spiritualizing people ?.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

How can this be? We have so much wealth today? I read that war was the main cause with drought the other. Science may be able to find solutions with drought but doesn't it fall on us who belong to a religion, to create an environment where poverty can be eliminated?

Frontiers of Learning

The story of the good Samaritan comes to mind:

And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.
And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.
And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.
But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him,
And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.
And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.
Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?
And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.

Luke 10:30-37

In some ways this is a solvable problem, in other ways it is much more complex.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
What do you mean by spiritualizing people ?.

Good character, morals, virtues, service to humanity, prayer, meditation.

To be loving and selfless not self absorbed and materialistic. To exercise moderation.

"To love all the world; to love humanity and try to serve it; to work for universal peace and universal brotherhood.”

If the world were spiritual how could we have 20 million on the verge of starvation? There are billions of religious people but spirituality is not just having a belief but acting on it for the betterment of all humanity.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Good character, morals, virtues, service to humanity, prayer, meditation.

To be loving and selfless not self absorbed and materialistic. To exercise moderation.

"To love all the world; to love humanity and try to serve it; to work for universal peace and universal brotherhood.”

If the world were spiritual how could we have 20 million on the verge of starvation? There are billions of religious people but spirituality is not just having a belief but acting on it for the betterment of all humanity.
Why do we need to be spiritual to accomplish that, there are many people who don't believe in god or any superstitious beliefs, and they are good people, do you see ?.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic

Frontiers of Learning

The OP seems to avoid addressing the main cause of poverty: the concentration of wealth in the hands of a privileged few i.e. 'the 1%'. It is only by forcibly redressing this balance that we can start to rid the world of poverty. I'm not really sure 'spiritualising' people will help to achieve that.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Why do we need to be spiritual to accomplish that, there are many people who don't believe in god or any superstitious beliefs, and they are good people, do you see ?.

We have many people join in community building who do not believe in any religion. They just want to see a better world for their children so it's not dependent on any belief, just acceptance of all humanity as a family above any other considerations.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
The OP seems to avoid addressing the main cause of poverty: the concentration of wealth in the hands of a privileged few i.e. 'the 1%'. It is only by forcibly redressing this balance that we can start to rid the world of poverty. I'm not really sure 'spiritualising' people will help to achieve that.

I meant to include that thanks for reminding me. There are so many with $billions not putting it back into society. But to forcibly do this I think is wrong and would lead to chaos.

By spiritualisation of the community I meant setting up a new economic system based on morals and justice so for instance jobs and health come before profits. And military budget can be almost entirely done away with if we have a peace. Peace depends on people being spiritual and prejudice free.

It's no coincidence that we have lack of spirituality in the world and have starvation, war and can't establish world peace. Not all religious people are spiritual.

Profit sharing is a way of balancing wealth, so is graduated taxation. But ridding the world of war is a priority as it uses up a huge amount of resources that could be used to address poverty.

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
The story of the good Samaritan comes to mind:

And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.
And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.
And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.
But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was:
Great example of human kindness, but what I noticed that never gets mentioned is:-
1. That Samaritan was one very brave traveller. He was deep into Judea, and Judeans despised and hated Samaritans. He must have been a formidable bloke himself!
2. The victim was probably set upon by Judeans...... which suggests that bands of Judean thugs staked out the main route from the North to Jerusalem to rob/kill Jewish peasants making pilgrimage to the Great Temple.

Concerning @loverofhumanity 's OP I have read that 6 people own as much wealth as half of the whole world's population put together. I don't know if it's true, but it might be.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Great example of human kindness, but what I noticed that never gets mentioned is:-
1. That Samaritan was one very brave traveller. He was deep into Judea, and Judeans despised and hated Samaritans. He must have been a formidable bloke himself!
2. The victim was probably set upon by Judeans...... which suggests that bands of Judean thugs staked out the main route from the North to Jerusalem to rob/kill Jewish peasants making pilgrimage to the Great Temple.

Concerning @loverofhumanity 's OP I have read that 6 people own as much wealth as half of the whole world's population put together. I don't know if it's true, but it might be.

According to Oxfam 8 men own the same wealth as half the worlds population.

Just 8 men own same wealth as half the world | Oxfam International

The point of the good Samaritan story for me is exactly the point you made. Despite the antipathy between the Judeans and Samaritans it was the Samaritan, not the two Judeans who had a name to be spiritual, who from the fullness of his heart just got on and did the right thing.

If it were 20 million Americans or Europeans at risk of losing their life, this would be getting much more attention.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

The point of the good Samaritan story for me is exactly the point you made. Despite the antipathy between the Judeans and Samaritans it was the Samaritan, not the two Judeans who had a name to be spiritual, who from the fullness of his heart just got on and did the right thing.

If it were 20 million Americans or Europeans at risk of losing their life, this would be getting much more attention.

Yes.... 8 men... thanks for that.
Yes..... 'Western folks' attract much more self-righteous compassion than '1/3rd World folks'.

On the side..... the film 'black hawk down' showed that as ships unloaded food supplies near Mogadishu so these were seized by local warlords, and any who tried to acquire the food were gunned down by warlords' soldiers.

An efficient solution to successful aid supply could involve military intervention at point of delivery and into adjacent hinterlands. How would that fit with Bahai belief and poluicy?

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic

Yeah, there we go. Thanks, adrian. This is what I was alluding to; massive wealth inequality.

I meant to include that thanks for reminding me. There are so many with $billions not putting it back into society. But to forcibly do this I think is wrong and would lead to chaos.

It might but chaos is change - change is what we need, isn't it? And immoral? What's more immoral? Taking money off of people who have exploited other peoples' labour to get it or are related to the right people to get it - so they've not actually gone out and earned it for themselves - and redistributing it to those who need it most? Or billions of people facing starvation, privation and going without basic essentials? Is it immoral to steal from thieves? In fact no I'm not going to ask that question because theft implies rightful ownership. The greater immorality is capitalism - a system which teaches us that some people are more entitled to a roof over their heads, to regular meals and to a secure life because they 'create' more wealth.

By spiritualisation of the community I meant setting up a new economic system based on morals and justice so for instance jobs and health come before profits. And military budget can be almost entirely done away with if we have a peace. Peace depends on people being spiritual and prejudice free.

It's no coincidence that we have lack of spirituality in the world and have starvation, war and can't establish world peace. Not all religious people are spiritual.

But humankind has never experienced as much peace as we do now - this is the most peaceful period in recorded history. There are fewer wars than ever before.

Profit sharing is a way of balancing wealth, so is graduated taxation. But ridding the world of war is a priority as it uses up a huge amount of resources that could be used to address poverty.

I agree but as methods of balancing wealth they're unlikely to work well as long as the affluent control the mechanisms by which wealth is balanced or not.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

How can this be? We have so much wealth today? But it is in the hands of the few. I read that war was the main cause with drought the other. Science may be able to find solutions with drought but doesn't it fall on us who belong to a religion, to create an environment where poverty can be eliminated?

The other part of the problem is that the world has too many people. A lot of these countries which are at risk had much smaller populations back in 1950, but their populations have skyrocketed since then. The world is feeding more people today than it ever was, yet there are still people facing starvation.

It may also be a transportation problem in some areas. It's not that the food doesn't exist to feed these people, but getting it there is a problem - especially if they're in some remote, hard-to-reach area.

Then there are also political problems. It's true that most of the world's wealth (and political power) is in the hands of the few, as it has always been since the dawn of human civilization. That may be a constant which can never change, regardless of which type of political system one has. But it's also a matter of looking at what the current "1%" are doing with that power and the consequences of such by looking at the current state of the world.

It's also not a matter of wealth, but also resources and power. As you mentioned, war is a leading cause of the problem, but what are these wars that keep happening in these places? These countries are racked by civil war, internal rot and corruption, grisly living conditions, and very disorganized governments led by tinpot dictators with delusions of grandeur.

The major powers of this world have the combined military might to go in and seriously restore order in these countries.

But we (the major powers) have also worked against each other and used these countries as pawns - and have provided them with the means and the weaponry to make war on their neighbors or even their own people. It's led to utter chaos - war, famine, poverty, untold destruction and death. It's a mess that has to be cleaned up. Some of it dates back to colonialism, but when colonialism ended, they might have tried to organize it a bit better, especially when they redrew the boundaries for some of these countries. The Cold War also left a lot of loose ends, which also led to both the West and Soviet Bloc to send oodles of weapons all over the world.

I think world peace is attainable, provided that the major powers of this world can come to terms, stop squabbling with each other, and work out a realistic plan to reorganize the entire world.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Frontiers of Learning

I think you need to be a little more transparent in your observation concerning war. I believe if you'll check you'll find that most of the deprived and starving populace affected by war are the wars that are waged by factions of their own countries, not outside powers. There is not much we can do about this short of declaring war on the warring parties so that we can provide the humanitarian aid so needed. Wouldn't you agree that this warfare would be justified and righteous?

loverofhumanity

Premium Member

The point of the good Samaritan story for me is exactly the point you made. Despite the antipathy between the Judeans and Samaritans it was the Samaritan, not the two Judeans who had a name to be spiritual, who from the fullness of his heart just gone on and did the right thing.

Tye world us racist
I think you need to be a little more transparent in your observation concerning war. I believe if you'll check you'll find that most of the deprived and starving populace affected by war are the wars that are waged by factions of their own countries, not outside powers. There is not much we can do about this short of declaring war on the warring parties so that we can provide the humanitarian aid so needed. Wouldn't you agree that this warfare would be justified and righteous?

In some cases intervention is justified. A just war to stop these atrocities would be fully acceptable as far as my religion is concerned.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
The other part of the problem is that the world has too many people. A lot of these countries which are at risk had much smaller populations back in 1950, but their populations have skyrocketed since then. The world is feeding more people today than it ever was, yet there are still people facing starvation.

It may also be a transportation problem in some areas. It's not that the food doesn't exist to feed these people, but getting it there is a problem - especially if they're in some remote, hard-to-reach area.

Then there are also political problems. It's true that most of the world's wealth (and political power) is in the hands of the few, as it has always been since the dawn of human civilization. That may be a constant which can never change, regardless of which type of political system one has. But it's also a matter of looking at what the current "1%" are doing with that power and the consequences of such by looking at the current state of the world.

It's also not a matter of wealth, but also resources and power. As you mentioned, war is a leading cause of the problem, but what are these wars that keep happening in these places? These countries are racked by civil war, internal rot and corruption, grisly living conditions, and very disorganized governments led by tinpot dictators with delusions of grandeur.

The major powers of this world have the combined military might to go in and seriously restore order in these countries.

But we (the major powers) have also worked against each other and used these countries as pawns - and have provided them with the means and the weaponry to make war on their neighbors or even their own people. It's led to utter chaos - war, famine, poverty, untold destruction and death. It's a mess that has to be cleaned up. Some of it dates back to colonialism, but when colonialism ended, they might have tried to organize it a bit better, especially when they redrew the boundaries for some of these countries. The Cold War also left a lot of loose ends, which also led to both the West and Soviet Bloc to send oodles of weapons all over the world.

I think world peace is attainable, provided that the major powers of this world can come to terms, stop squabbling with each other, and work out a realistic plan to reorganize the entire world.

If the world can unite so much can be achieved. The major powers need to resolve their basic differences so humanity can address these major problems. The problem ends up affecting many countries by the refugee crisis so one way or another they can't run away from the problems caused by these wars.

Very nice post.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Yeah, there we go. Thanks, adrian. This is what I was alluding to; massive wealth inequality.

It might but chaos is change - change is what we need, isn't it? And immoral? What's more immoral? Taking money off of people who have exploited other peoples' labour to get it or are related to the right people to get it - so they've not actually gone out and earned it for themselves - and redistributing it to those who need it most? Or billions of people facing starvation, privation and going without basic essentials? Is it immoral to steal from thieves? In fact no I'm not going to ask that question because theft implies rightful ownership. The greater immorality is capitalism - a system which teaches us that some people are more entitled to a roof over their heads, to regular meals and to a secure life because they 'create' more wealth.

But humankind has never experienced as much peace as we do now - this is the most peaceful period in recorded history. There are fewer wars than ever before.

I agree but as methods of balancing wealth they're unlikely to work well as long as the affluent control the mechanisms by which wealth is balanced or not.

I fully agree with you that there is no need for the massive military budgets of the world which run into the $trillions while millions face starvation. Extremely shameful.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Tye world us racist

In some cases intervention is justified. A just war to stop these atrocities would be fully acceptable as far as my religion is concerned.

I fully agree with you that there is no need for the massive military budgets of the world which run into the $trillions while millions face starvation. Extremely shameful.

To fight a justifiable war wouldn't we need a military force that was larger and more powerful than the enemy?