• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World Peace and Religion

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Religions do not teach that they are the Only Way, thus causing division. People interpret their religions to mean that.

Each religion was revealed for a certain age in history which is called a religious dispensation, but when people cling to religions of past dispensations and believe they are the Only Way to worship God, it is bound to lead to division and strife. This will never end until people finally realize that religion is all part of one unfolding process of revelation from God to humanity, thus all religions are the Truth from God, each one pertinent to the age in which it was revealed..

Religions are like successive chapters in a book but once we have gone past a chapter we need to move on to the next chapter. Life is like that, we continually grow and evolve, so why wouldn't religion also be like that?

Actually they (most) teach they are the only way, even sects of religion are taught to loath other sects of the same religion.

Is that your god or someone elses god?

Religious books do not change much with time. Life grows, religion is static

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Only then? Or Only because the world "is turned towards waywardness and unbelief"? Is this a prediction of the future (fortune-telling)? Or an exposition of the consequences of waywardness?

How should we make use of this teaching? Should we work hard to accelerate the World towards destruction in the hopes of Paradise? Is Paradise not a worthy goal?

You get to make your choice. There is an old saying that we reap what we sow.

The Baha'i way is to continue to build loving and peaceful communities, built on virtues and no prejudice. I see many others doing the same thing, all the while the defective rule of men in an old world order brings us towards foretold events. When and how?

The required change is our choice, each and all of us.

Regards Tony

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Actually they (most) teach they are the only way, even sects of religion are taught to loath other sects of the same religion.
That is true, but sects are creations of man, not revelations from God.
Is that your god or someone elses god?
It's not my God.
Religious books do not change much with time. Life grows, religion is static
It is true that the spiritual teachings in religions do not change over time because human nature does not change that much, but the social teachings need to change over time because the society in which we live does change over time.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
I think it is the people who are responsible. Religion is only like a tool. And tool are not responsible of things that people do with them.

It is really sad that Christianity has also been used as excuse in wars that are really about the greed and evilness of the people. Bible doesn’t give permission for Christians (=disciples of Jesus) to go to war.

I agree with you totally.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
Religion has been responsible for creating peace and for disrupting peace.
in 1914, during World War I, there was a cessation of hostilities as people from both sides celebrated Christmas together. Some even refusing to go back to fighting each other.
In the 2018 Olympics, North and South Korea joined together to compete as a single team.

Emperor Theodosius was the last Roman Emperor to rule over a united East and West Roman Empire.
He declared Nicene Christianity to be the official state church of the Roman Empire, he allowed the temples of the old religions to be destroyed, and he banned the Olympics because they were pagan. Historians use his death to mark the beginning of the Middle Ages.

When we consider that religion is the basis of a common bond among people. It seems that World Peace hinges upon religion. Religion will either Save the World or it will Destroy It.

Thoughts?

Any "religion" that people fight wars in the name of is either a false religion, or those fighting for it are false followers. The meaning of the word "religion" is quite literally, to reconnect. That is, the end goal of religion is for peace and prosperity.

Also, you're extremely naive. There are some who use the word "peace" as a front for what they are really doing which is conquest and demanding submission. For example, if a dictator takes power "peacefully" by disarming all but the troops and police, and uses those forces to coerce absolute obedience, you do have the absence of violence, yes. But you also have a system that completely runs the lives of everyday people, enslaves them and keeps them in fear. True peace is not an empire built on an army of people who behave like clones oppressing the citizen, but a republic where each person is free and separate (and yes I have been watching Star Wars). Separate nations. Separate cultures.

Colonialism, globalism, same concept just the first was mostly employed by the right and the second by the left. They're euphemisms for the real word. Imperialism. Something that has been around since the Roman Empire. The desire to rule the world and people's lives. This is the Antichrist, the idea of One-World Government.

Religion can save the world best not by being peaceful, nor by being aggressive (we don't need to spread any religions), but by maintaining cultural borders. Europe and America is Christian, Israel is Jewish, the Middle East is Muslim, Africa should be folk animist, India is Hindu, and Asia is Taoist and Buddhist. The world doesn't need to all be Christian or Muslim or whatever. It needs to be what it is. When people respect borders as a religion then they respect boundaries as a people. When they do that, they respect the real rights of others. Then and only then, is there actual peace. The other "peace" is actually control.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
in 1914, during World War I, there was a cessation of hostilities as people from both sides celebrated Christmas together. Some even refusing to go back to fighting each other.
In the 2018 Olympics, North and South Korea joined together to compete as a single team.

Emperor Theodosius was the last Roman Emperor to rule over a united East and West Roman Empire.
He declared Nicene Christianity to be the official state church of the Roman Empire, he allowed the temples of the old religions to be destroyed, and he banned the Olympics because they were pagan. Historians use his death to mark the beginning of the Middle Ages.

When we consider that religion is the basis of a common bond among people. It seems that World Peace hinges upon religion. Religion will either Save the World or it will Destroy It.

Thoughts?

I too believe that religion has the power to unite the world but the religion of God not the religion of man.
By that I mean that over time most religions which were once religions of God were usurped by ambitious and selfish leaders who started wars and created divisions and destroyed the foundation of the religion of God which is love and unity and turned it into their own personal fiefdoms.

So I believe in every age religion is renewed by God. I think in the Bible it’s called ‘cleansing of the sanctuary’.

The outward forms of religion exist today but where is unity and love?

I think religion can unite humanity if we detach ourselves from the words of religious leaders and cling solely to what the Holy Books teach which is to love one another, to be kind to all, to be forgiving and overlook the faults of others.

We need to detach ourselves from the poisonous snake of ‘us and them’ mentality that leaders of religion have been teaching and accept only unconditional ,love for all humanity as the foundation of our beliefs.

God created all humanity the Jew, the Hindu, the Buddhist and Muslim and He makes the sun to shines upon all not preferring one over the other. So too we should love all and not discriminate or erect barriers between us and our fellow human beings who also were created by God. Otherwise we have no right to call ourselves religious while at the same time condemning or vilifying other fellow human beings for having different beliefs.

We are all human, we are one human family.

JJ50

Thoughts?

Religion has been the cause of many of the world's problems, I hope belief in all gods will cease in the not too distant future.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Religion has been the cause of many of the world's problems, I hope belief in all gods will cease in the not too distant future.

Just interest. What do you mean by religion. What do you want to see gone?

Why I ask that is because religion teaches to love thy neighbour, to be forgiving, to help the poor, to be kind, generous, compassionate, just, humble, courteous, patient, to serve humanity, to put others first before oneself, to be respectful to one’s teachers, friendliness, unity, thankfulness, honourable, to keep one’s promise,, excellence, integrity, cleanliness, trustworthiness, truthfulness, thoughtfulness, cooperation, wisdom.

So are you saying to discard these qualities or by religion do you mean something else because I see many of these virtues as essential for our very survival?

On the other hand if you pointed to religious leadership as the main problem I would agree because it’s leaders with selfish ambitions that started wars and divided religions into fiefdoms of their own not the original Founder or Holy Book.

JJ50

Just interest. What do you mean by religion. What do you want to see gone?

Why I ask that is because religion teaches to love thy neighbour, to be forgiving, to help the poor, to be kind, generous, compassionate, just, humble, courteous, patient, to serve humanity, to put others first before oneself, to be respectful to one’s teachers, friendliness, unity, thankfulness, honourable, to keep one’s promise,, excellence, integrity, cleanliness, trustworthiness, truthfulness, thoughtfulness, cooperation, wisdom.

So are you saying to discard these qualities or by religion do you mean something else because I see many of these virtues as essential for our very survival?

On the other hand if you pointed to religious leadership as the main problem I would agree because it’s leaders with selfish ambitions that started wars and divided religions into fiefdoms of their own not the original Founder or Holy Book.

By religion I mean a believe in gods like Christianity and Islam. The gods featured in those two religions are highly unpleasant indeed.

ChristineM

Premium Member

It's not my God.

It is true that the spiritual teachings in religions do not change over time because human nature does not change that much, but the social teachings need to change over time because the society in which we live does change over time.

Son once again you say god is not omniscient. Sects are groups who interpret their holy book in a particular way.

So could be Odin or Huitzilopochtli, perhaps Aphrodite ot Anoia?

Holy books should not provide social education fit for todays lifestyle. It is unfortunate that some people think they can.

ChristineM

Premium Member

It's not my God.

Son once again you say god is not omniscient. Sects are groups who interpret their holy book in a particular way.

So could be Odin or Huitzilopochtli, perhaps Aphrodite ot Anoia?

Holy books should not provide social education fit for todays lifestyle. It is unfortunate that some people think they can.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
By religion I mean a believe in gods like Christianity and Islam. The gods featured in those two religions are highly unpleasant indeed.

But the virtues I mentioned are taught in the Bible and Quran so do you think that these virtues are unpleasant and want them to disappear?

How can such beautiful virtues be taught by unpleasant gods?

JJ50

But the virtues I mentioned are taught in the Bible and Quran so do you think that these virtues are unpleasant and want them to disappear?

How can such beautiful virtues be taught by unpleasant gods?

The virtues taught in the Bible/Quran are ones humans have come up with, nothing to do with any god, imo.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
The virtues taught in the Bible/Quran are ones humans have come up with, nothing to do with any god, imo.

I would like to see how humans invented the virtues if what you say is true. How did they first come up with them. I can’t see them doing that without an Educator.

JJ50

I would like to see how humans invented the virtues if what you say is true. How did they first come up with them. I can’t see them doing that without an Educator.

Well the god of the Bible, with which I am more familiar, having had it forced down my throat as a child, was no sort of example at all, Satan could not be more evil.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Well the god of the Bible, with which I am more familiar, having had it forced down my throat as a child, was no sort of example at all, Satan could not be more evil.

Yes I ran away too because they used fear and scare mongering to control followers instead of love. I think that was a mistake of the leaders but not Jesus because He always emphasized love.

JJ50

Yes I ran away too because they used fear and scare mongering to control followers instead of love. I think that was a mistake of the leaders but not Jesus because He always emphasized love.

Very loving when he trashed the Temple, and when he frightened the pigs over the cliff whilst playing exorcism hocus pocus!

Ponder This

It is interesting to note that even if all beliefs in all gods were to dissipate, religion would yet still remain...

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Thoughts?
If correctly understood Religion bonds humans to unity, peace and justice; if not correctly understood it is the fault of the vested individuals not of the Religion itself. Right, please?

Regards