• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World healthcare comparison study.

MikeF

Premium Member
Comparison released today. I found it interesting -- but not surprising
Mirror, Mirror 2021: Reflecting Poorly | Commonwealth Fund

One domain I did not see mentioned was research and development of improved healthcare modalities.

I would be curious to know whether the US spends more per capita on research than the other countries listed and what effect that has had on the quality of care for all countries listed. It may or may not be a factor in why the US has higher costs per capita.

Jeremiah Ames

I think the US does come in at number 1 in one metric that was overlooked in the article.

It has more billionaire executives in the healthcare business per capita.

Heyo

Veteran Member
One domain I did not see mentioned was research and development of improved healthcare modalities.

I would be curious to know whether the US spends more per capita on research than the other countries listed and what effect that has had on the quality of care for all countries listed. It may or may not be a factor in why the US has higher costs per capita.
Most research and development is done by international corporations with funds from many sources, among them countries. It would be difficult to divide who paid for what and where the research was done.

MikeF

Premium Member
Most research and development is done by international corporations with funds from many sources, among them countries. It would be difficult to divide who paid for what and where the research was done.

I would agree that it might be hard to parse out where the research was done, but as to who paid for it, wouldn't sales revenue ultimately speak to that question? In terms of pharmaceuticals, one of the studies posted on this thread has the US paying a little over twice as much than the average for all the other countries referenced. That seems to me to be shouldering a significant share of the cost burden of bringing new drugs to market. Depending on what share of overall healthcare costs are represented by prescription drugs, it seems this cost disparity might account for the difference in healthcare cost between US and other countries in some meaningful way.