• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World has just ten weeks' worth of wheat left after Ukraine war

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
World has just ten weeks' worth of wheat left after Ukraine war (telegraph.co.uk)

The world has just 10 weeks' worth of wheat stockpiled after Vladimir Putin's invasion of Ukraine disrupted supplies from the "breadbasket of Europe".

The UN has been warned that global wheat inventories have fallen to their lowest level since 2008 as food supplies are rocked by a “one-in-a-generation occurrence”.

Official government estimates put world wheat inventories at 33pc of annual consumption, but stocks may have slumped to as low as 20pc, according to agricultural data firm Gro Intelligence. It estimates that there are only 10 weeks of global wheat supply left in stockpiles.

Russia and Ukraine account for around a quarter of the world’s wheat exports and the West fears Mr Putin is trying to weaponise food supplies. Russia is on track for a strong wheat harvest this year, cementing Mr Putin’s control over the staple grain as bad weather spoils production in Europe and the US.

Gro Intelligence chief executive Sara Menker warned global food supplies are being hit by a number of “extraordinary” challenges, including fertiliser shortages, climate disruptions and record low inventories of cooking oils and grains.

She told the UN’s Security Council: “Without substantial immediate and aggressive coordinated global actions, we stand the risk of an extraordinary amount of both human suffering and economic damage.

“This isn’t cyclical, this is seismic. It’s a once-in-a-generation occurrence that can dramatically reshape the geopolitical era.”

The war has disrupted agricultural production in the region and sent global food prices soaring to a record high, stoking fears of unrest in developing countries. The crisis in wheat has been worsened by India, the world’s second largest producer, banning exports of the cereal and higher costs for farmers from fertiliser, feed and fuel.

Western officials also fear the Russian president is deliberately trying to damage global food supplies by destroying equipment and stealing grain in Ukraine.

Apparently there's 20 million tons of grain in Ukrainian silos, but they can't get it out of the country.

upload_2022-5-21_6-16-19.png

In the U.S., dry conditions are making for a poorer wheat harvest this year.

Meanwhile, the Kremlin is tightening its grip on wheat supplies after a stronger harvest. Carlos Mera, head of agri commodities research at Rabobank, said mild conditions in Russia – which accounts for about a fifth of global wheat exports – had put it on track to produce 84.9m metric tonnes of the staple grain this year.

Conditions for Western growers have been poor due to dry conditions.

America’s southern plains region, as the bottom of the "Wheat Belt" that runs through the middle of the country, has been experiencing sustained drought conditions.

In a report earlier this month, the US Department of Agriculture forecast a major decline in wheat stocks, saying they will drop 6pc to a nine-year low of 16.8 million tonnes by the end of 2022/23.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
We are seeing flour shortages now. Buying limited to 1 bag.

For the first time in months I've had to buy bread rather than make my own.

F1fan

Veteran Member
All the gluten-free people might even suffer inflation as alternatives to wheat-based products are demanded.

I don't see Putin allowing any sort of cease fire to allow exports of ukraine wheat. I wonder how long that grain can sit before it spoils or is contaminated as spring and heat increase.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
We still have flour of all kinds but sunflower and rapeseed oil are gone.

We just had a bbq with a French/German couple who spend half a year (the cold half) in your neck of the woods, and summer here in france. It was flour was a subject we discussed.

There is stock because of limiting purchases, for how long I don't know.

I always use colza oil (rapeseed oil) as a healthier oil, there is none to be had. But sunflower oil there is plenty

F1fan

Veteran Member
We just had a bbq with a French/German couple who spend half a year (the cold half) in your neck of the woods, and summer here in france. It was flour was a subject we discussed.

There is stock because of limiting purchases, for how long I don't know.

I always use colza oil (rapeseed oil) as a healthier oil, there is none to be had. But sunflower oil there is plenty
I recall many Tour de France coverage videos that features sunflower fields in France. You might have that as a national resource. The USA has many sunflower fields as well.

Vee

Premium Member
That's what happens when countries that could produce their own food decide to outsource everything because it's "cheaper". Turns out it's not.
Grains are not the only type of food there is and before globalization, most people ate food that was grown localy and according to season. Animal manure was the preferred fertilizer so there was a harmony in nature and the earth wasn't full of chemicals. If things had been left that way, the chain of supply could still be disrupted here and there, but the consequences would be far less serious. The fact that so many countries depend on the grain production of Ukraine and Russia is evidence of how broken the system is. We're all suffering with the price increases, but imagine going hungry... Poor people.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
And worse news for those that live in countries already unable to feed their children.
Lebanon, Moldova, Qatar, Pakistan, Indonesia, Ethiopia, Egypt, Malasia, Jordan and Thailand? I hope they are Ok.

On the positive side it may not be that much of a hurt. When I stopped eating bread and sugar I was confused about what to eat instead, but I began to hunger less. I didn't starve, and I only eat it now in desserts or occasionally when someone gives me some pizza or something like that. Its more of a luxury ingredient to me or a binder for other ingredients. Its nice and fluffy and tastes great, but I don't actually need it.