• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World Cup 2022: Man killed in Iran celebrating soccer team's loss - report

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
World Cup 2022: Man killed in Iran celebrating football team's loss - report - BBC News

Iran lost to the United States team 1-0 on Tuesday, and there were protests/celebrations over their defeat in Iran. Apparently the team refused to rise for the national anthem.

A man is reported to have been killed by security forces in northern Iran, as anti-government protesters publicly celebrated the national football team's elimination from the World Cup.

Activists said Mehran Samak was shot in the head after he honked his car's horn in Bandar Anzali on Tuesday night.

Videos from other cities showed crowds cheering and dancing in the streets.

Many Iranians refused to support their football team in Qatar, seeing it as a representation of the Islamic Republic.

State-affiliated media blamed hostile forces both inside and outside Iran for putting unfair pressure on the players following their 1-0 loss to the USA in the final group game.

The players did not sing the national anthem before their first game, a 6-2 defeat by England, in an apparent expression of solidarity with the protesters.

But they did sing at the Wales game, which they won 2-0, and at the politically-charged showdown against the USA.

Some protesters saw that as a betrayal of their cause even though there were reports that the team came under intense pressure from Iranian authorities.

The unrest started 10 weeks ago following the death in custody of Mahsa Amini, a 22-year-old woman arrested by morality police in Tehran for allegedly violating the strict rules requiring women to cover their hair with a hijab.

Authorities have responded to what they have portrayed as foreign-backed "riots" with a violent crackdown in which the Norway-based group Iran Human Rights says at least 448 people have been killed, including 60 children. More than 18,000 others are reported to have been arrested.

Iran Human Rights reported that security personnel shot and killed Mehran Samak, 27, when he honked his car's horn in the Caspian Sea city of Bandar Anzali on Tuesday night to celebrate the Iranian football team's defeat.

BBC Persian obtained a video that showed Mr Samak's burial on Wednesday morning. The mourners can be heard chanting "You are the filth, you are the immoral, I am a free woman" - a slogan frequently used during the protests.

Iranian security forces have denied killing peaceful protesters.

However, the opposition activist collective 1500tasvir posted videos that it said showed security forces opening fire at people in the south-western city of Behbahan overnight and beating a woman in Qazvin, south of Bandar Anzali.

Other videos showed men and women celebrating the World Cup elimination in Tehran and a number of cities in the predominantly Kurdish north-west of the country. Dozens of protesters have reportedly been killed in recent weeks there as security forces intensified their crackdown.

In footage from Mahsa Amini's home city of Saqqez, dozens of people could be seen cheering and waving scarves in a main square before fireworks are set off.

F1fan

Veteran Member
I heard there was tension between the USA team and the Iranian team, but I have to wonder if there is more friction between the Iranian athletes and their hard line leadership. Back in the 80's the USA bike racers had few competitons with the Soviets, but when they were at the same races there was pretty good comradery, and a lot of trading of products. I ended up with a pair of Russian racing tires that one of my teammates (who was on the national team) got from Czech racer when we were all in Austin for races back in 84. It was actually pretty cool to go on training rides with these guys from behind the Iron Curtain.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
News item I read the team refused to sing their national anthem, and used a flag minus some symbol. I guess all in support of women in Iran.
Did the team not have the symbol that declared Iran to be Islamic? I know the US team caused a kerfuffle by doing that.

pearl

Did the team not have the symbol that declared Iran to be Islamic? I know the US team caused a kerfuffle by doing that.

I did not get the idea that there was opposition to Islam itself, but for current form in power in Iran, another sticking point was the correct pronunciation of Iran; Iran vs iRan.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I heard there was tension between the USA team and the Iranian team, but I have to wonder if there is more friction between the Iranian athletes and their hard line leadership. Back in the 80's the USA bike racers had few competitons with the Soviets, but when they were at the same races there was pretty good comradery, and a lot of trading of products. I ended up with a pair of Russian racing tired that one of my teammates (who was on the national team) got from Czech racer when we were all in Austin for races back in 84. It was actually pretty cool to go on training rides with these guys from behind the Iron Curtain.

Athletes tend to be younger people, and younger people tend to be more open-minded and willing to see other points of view, especially if it's contrary to what they've been conditioned, instructed, and told to believe. The whole idea behind peaceful competition in international sports is that it can lead to greater understanding, cooperation, and goodwill among nations. Or at least, that's what it should be - even if there are those who seem to want to use it for nationalistic propaganda events.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I did not get the idea that there was opposition to Islam itself, but for current form in power in Iran, another sticking point was the correct pronunciation of Iran; Iran vs iRan.
Yes, I saw that in other news accounts. They did so to support the protestors in Iran. They actually had a good relationship to the team. After the US defeated Iran many members of the Iranian team were heartbroken and the US team was consoling them:

cbsn-fusion-usa-mens-soccer-star-consoles-iran-player-in-heart-warming-moment-thumbnail-1513550-640x360.jpg

3074.jpg

It was a huge showing of real sportsmanship.