• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World Crisis situations and the media

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
There are places on this planet that go unnoticed. Western media often controls who we notice. Right now it's Afghanistan. One could argue that the main reason we're hearing about it is that western countries were directly involved.

Meanwhile, The UN Refugee support agency, and several very large refugee camps go unnoticed. Here's a link to the world's largest refugee camps. None of them are connected to Afghanistan.

Inside the world's five largest refugee camps

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Sounds like the media has been mainly interested in wedge issues rather than the broader picture, maybe.
In my view, the media is interested in how many readers it can get, hence influencing what they can charge advertisers, and that, in turn relating to $$$$$$$$. There are exceptions, of course, working outside that model.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There are places on this planet that go unnoticed. Western media often controls who we notice. Right now it's Afghanistan. One could argue that the main reason we're hearing about it is that western countries were directly involved.

Meanwhile, The UN Refugee support agency, and several very large refugee camps go unnoticed. Here's a link to the world's largest refugee camps. None of them are connected to Afghanistan.

It is sad that this is also not world news.

Regards Tony

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I also find that what is reported is often different than personal accounts. Unless you're there, I feel its impossible to get the whole story.

And yes, there are many stories that don't get reported at all...

Its why, for the most part, I abstain from news that isn't local. Furthermore, the world doesn't benefit from my opinion on topics that are likely incorrect/misrepresented.

How do you think Western media chooses what parts of the world to report on, and which to ignore?

It may have been at one time, like 30 years ago. Imagine being 30 years old, having lived your entire life in a refugee camp.

Locally, we have a large Burmese population. Some of the young people have spent their entire lives in refugee camps in Thailand, and previous to coming here didn't know anything else.

I remember hearing a story from someone who worked with the refugees as they came in that one particular family seemed unable to be reached. They resorted to coming over to the house, and would ring the bell. No one would answer. Finally, they alerted authorities, as they were concerned for their welfare. It turns out, the people did not understand the usage of the doorbell. They were all terrible confused by the loud ringing throughout the house, but never connected it with the door...

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It may have been at one time, like 30 years ago. Imagine being 30 years old, having lived your entire life in a refugee camp.

Here's the list of current wars.

List of ongoing armed conflicts - Wikipedia

I see it becomes out of sight out of mind.

Over the years, I do not know about others, though I do expect there will be many who's heart cries for all those that are suffering and that they would happily offer thier lives so that the persecuted and the opressed can find a fair life.

Regards Tony

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I also find that what is reported is often different than personal accounts. Unless you're there, I feel its impossible to get the whole story.

And yes, there are many stories that don't get reported at all...

Its why, for the most part, I abstain from news that isn't local. Furthermore, the world doesn't benefit from my opinion on topics that are likely incorrect/misrepresented.

How do you think Western media chooses what parts of the world to report on, and which to ignore?

Locally, we have a large Burmese population. Some of the young people have spent their entire lives in refugee camps in Thailand, and previous to coming here didn't know anything else.

I remember hearing a story from someone who worked with the refugees as they came in that one particular family seemed unable to be reached. They resorted to coming over to the house, and would ring the bell. No one would answer. Finally, they alerted authorities, as they were concerned for their welfare. It turns out, the people did not understand the usage of the doorbell. They were all terrible confused by the loud ringing throughout the house, but never connected it with the door...

I think the media knows what sells. They track sales, data, internet hits, and more. I think the readers are more interested in something they can relate to. The fact that many nations' citizens were being evacuated from Afghanistan gave it more of a personal touch. We all seem to care more (ethnocentrism, it's natural) about fellow _______ s than we do about the peoples of other countries.

Interesting story about the Burmese refugees. Culture shock can be really tough. I picked up a couple of Sri Lankan refugees from our airport maybe 30 years ago or more. They could not believe there were no soldiers with guns in the airport. We're hardly even used to a police presence, let alone guys that look ready to shoot at the snap of a finger.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself

The news media covers things only when they have changed lately. It's also true that Western media covers crisis more noticeably if it involves the Western nations. You have to dig to find stories about other dire situations. This is another source among many that can find such situations. I would recommend this source of such information:

CrisisWatch

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
I have a few of these people in my classes, usually Afghans growing up in Iran. One of them told me point blank during a related discussion that he had no intention of ever going "back" to a country he hadn't even seen for most of his life.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I have a few of these people in my classes, usually Afghans growing up in Iran. One of them told me point blank during a related discussion that he had no intention of ever going "back" to a country he hadn't even seen for most of his life.
Are you a teacher or a student? Yes, that makes a lot of sense.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Are you a teacher or a student? Yes, that makes a lot of sense.
Teacher.
I teach language classes to migrant workers and refugees for my country's public services (unemployment and migration).
The nature of these classes often require students to talk or write about their experiences and their situation, so I tend to get a lot of often very personal stories without even asking.