• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World ‘sleepwalking’ to climate catastrophe: UN chief

Audie

Veteran Member
I don't call it sleepwalking...people know very well what is going on. But they are not willing to give up their luxury life. Billionaires still try to accumulate more billions out of even covid pandemic, let alone making billions out of non calamities.

As long as the billionaires don't set the right example the masses will never follow

So, there is 1 man who sets a good example, that's Elon Musk, who sold all his mansions and lives in a cheap house now.

But the problem will solve itself anyway. First people die when they pollute Mother Earth too much, and then earth will be able to recover. Probably the best solution anyway

Always someone to blame

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Always someone to blame
FYI:
I don't blame billionaires, just an observation that "the masses" won't follow and go for simple lifestyle as those in charge lead not by example. Personally I lead a very sober lifestyle and I don't care what billionaires do. I follow Dharma, not billionaires

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
According to the Wall Street Journal's latest report, the billionaire is not really living in a cheap, rented house. Instead, it is currently believed that he is actually staying at a luxurious mansion owned by Ken Howery, one of the co-founders of PayPal.
Elon Musk Quietly Living in His Friend's Luxurious Austin Mansion?

Not that I'm one to begrudge Musk his money but he is really just converting one type of capital into another. At any point in time it can easily be converted back. More of a sound bite to distract the proletariat.
At least he sold lots of his mansions. It takes time to let go of attachments...it goes with ups and downs, as do all addictions. At least he tried according to the article I read

And that was the whole point of my reply

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The issue, imo is that the infrastructure for fossil fuels has already been paid for.
Not that the development of green energy cost more, just that the cost is the cost of the non-existent infrastructure.

Also the government has a tradition of supporting oil. I imagine it is difficult to ween the politicians off of oil.
Yes, this is why I see us if we're smart going green in an evolutionary manner and not as much in a revolutionary manner, which is what we're doing anyway. However, we are here in the States phasing out some more nuclear reactors minus building new ones, which I believe is the wrong step.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
The issue, imo is that the infrastructure for fossil fuels has already been paid for.
Not that the development of green energy cost more, just that the cost is the cost of the non-existent infrastructure.

Also the government has a tradition of supporting oil. I imagine it is difficult to ween the politicians off of oil.
Yes, I've come across that information, too.

We're (my wife and I) trying to do our little part by getting clean energy from my local energy company. We don't drive much, but that's more a reality of us being retired than anything.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
Yes, this is why I see us if we're smart going green in an evolutionary manner and not as much in a revolutionary manner, which is what we're doing anyway. However, we are here in the States phasing out some more nuclear reactors minus building new ones, which I believe is the wrong step.
Yes, for a while we do need nuclear. Germany I hear made a big mistake in getting off nuclear. Besides being the wrong move in solving the climate crisis, it made them more dependent on Russian gas, with obvious ramifications right now.