• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World’s Top Religious Leaders Issue Rare Joint Appeal

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I really wanted to share this as its so easy to succumb to negativity and despair in the face of terrorist acts such as the one in Christchurch. Make friends with peoples of different faiths is the message. So simple yet so powerful.

Religion is often viewed as a force that sows divisions between people. But the world’s most prominent religious leaders have come together to present a different vision of how faith can work in the world.

In a rare move, major religious leaders ― from Pope Francis to the Dalai Lama ― issued a joint appeal Wednesday asking people to follow a simple bit of advice: Make friends with people of other faiths.

World’s Top Religious Leaders Issue Rare Joint Appeal | HuffPost

Can events such as the one in Christchurch really lead to a positive shift in the way people act towards each other?

Questions and Comments as you will.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I don't know, Adrian. As individuals, we can try, but as we all know, talk, unless it translates into action, doesn't really cut it. I think that there is certainly a temporary change, especially like in your city, where tragedy is so close to home. But wait five years, and will the goodwill still be around? I guess time will tell.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It appears that it takes events like Christchurch to fire the spirit of unity, a unity which we need to display on a daily basis. If practiced, this in turn will prevent these extreme incidents unfolding.

Regards Tony

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Call me a pessimist, but if such appeals had any chance of actually working we'd probably have world peace and no more war by now. It's a nice, friendly gesture, but I doubt it changes minds. Especially since friendship is a two way street, and not everyone will want to be your friend.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Call me a pessimist, but if such appeals had any chance of actually working we'd probably have world peace and no more war by now. It's a nice, friendly gesture, but I doubt it changes minds. Especially since friendship is a two way street, and not everyone will want to be your friend.

But that doesn't stop you from being available, or just kindly, to all people. I try to engage the tellers of stores, for example, and just any people I meet. Smiles show tolerance. But even on attempts like this you have people stepping up and telling you how to do it, or how to perceive it.

But you're absolutely right. Some folks simply aren't into engaging at all.

Reactions: Jim

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
But that doesn't stop you from being available, or just kindly, to all people.
What do you mean by "being available to all people?"
I try to engage the tellers of stores, for example, and just any people I meet.
If this is what you mean by "being available to all people," I am unavailable to most people and prefer they not randomly approach me. I don't ignore people (not unless I just don't have the energy for the engagement) and I'm not rude to them, but I'm very much one of "those people" who can sit comfortably in silence in a room filled with people.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
What do you mean by "being available to all people?"

If this is what you mean by "being available to all people," I am unavailable to most people and prefer they not randomly approach me. I don't ignore people (not unless I just don't have the energy for the engagement) and I'm not rude to them, but I'm very much one of "those people" who can sit comfortably in silence in a room filled with people.

I just meant that if somebody says hi, or engages you, one doesn't have to get nasty. So we're on the same wavelength. But yeah, I put real people on 'ignore' too. Done it quite a few times actually. I mean ... you want to come to my house, tell me how to eat, how to vote, how to share in your intolerance, or whatever, and yeah, I'm not inviting you back.

ManSinha

I don't know, Adrian. As individuals, we can try, but as we all know, talk, unless it translates into action, doesn't really cut it. I think that there is certainly a temporary change, especially like in your city, where tragedy is so close to home. But wait five years, and will the goodwill still be around? I guess time will tell.

Call me a pessimist, but if such appeals had any chance of actually working we'd probably have world peace and no more war by now. It's a nice, friendly gesture, but I doubt it changes minds.

I have to agree with those sentiments - this is temporary - look at the outrages that have happened just in the last six to seven years in working memory alone - one could argue that some of them were because the individuals were mentally ill or that personal issues were involved but there is a fair sprinkling of ethno-religious hate that is involved.

@adrian009 - one can hope that this interfaith gathering sets the tone for something different but history provides a different context.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Who knows maybe 'a new faith' will emerge from the rubble. These are very negative, tragic times. Faith IS for friendliness. Great unifying forces move the world through faith. Faith is far more powerful than skepticism. I'm looking for a more universal faith myself. I find it very frustrating that each generation feels like a startover process, and the same tragedies get repeated again and again as if some new thing is happening by ditching faith. I mean the skeptics have totally changed the meaning of faith into that of poofery, when its confidence and reliance on those things of virtue. Faith in virtue! Let love live!

For me its high time religions adopt a more inclusive and universal faith. A faith anyone can get behind. Believers, and non believers! Fundamentalism has got to go! Hating someone for their faith is as destructive a force as there is.

I enjoy differences in people! I dont need to convert others to faithlessness.

osgart

@osgart Please do not wish for that - even in jest - we do not need another "faith"

But I agree we need more Universalism and tolerance and a willingness to include

I have faith in virtues. The word faith is a virtue.

But i agree that the less fundamentalism faith is needed

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I just meant that if somebody says hi, or engages you, one doesn't have to get nasty. So we're on the same wavelength. But yeah, I put real people on 'ignore' too. Done it quite a few times actually. I mean ... you want to come to my house, tell me how to eat, how to vote, how to share in your intolerance, or whatever, and yeah, I'm not inviting you back.
I agree. However, being polite to each other hasn't prevented politicians from inventing excuses to make us go kill people (very often under the penalty of law) who have not wronged us, and go be killed by those same people. It pushed racism to the side, but didn't get rid of it. And being nice does nothing to address those who defend, advocate, and justify bullying. Sometimes crazy and nasty only responds to crazy and nasty.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
But I agree we need more Universalism and tolerance and a willingness to include
I have to wonder, at what point does it all become pointless with universalism? Clearly not everyone can have the correct religion, and when all religions are considered equally valid when does it become nothing more than having religion for nothing more than the sake of having a religion?
The word faith is a virtue.
Believing in things that have no evidence to support a claimed existence or statement is not a virtue. Are children virtuous for having faith in Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny? Would it be virtuous of an adult to hold on to that faith? Of course it wouldn't be. Why should it be then that faith in an invisible supernatural being "up there," somewhere (we've had to push the location of god and his kingdom back a few times once we learned it's not where previously thought), is considered a virtue?

ManSinha

I have to wonder, at what point does it all become pointless with universalism? Clearly not everyone can have the correct religion, and when all religions are considered equally valid when does it become nothing more than having religion for nothing more than the sake of having a religion?

Did I utter (pen / write / use) the word "religion" - I am too jaded to believe that "religion" as it is understood and acted upon today will ever lead down a better road - I guess I was indicating more a shared desire to protect the environment and try to ensure the spread of practices that promote a path to a better life amongst those less fortunate. A simple willingness to be understanding would be a start.

osgart

Believing in things that have no evidence to support a claimed existence or statement is not a virtue. Are children virtuous for having faith in Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny? Would it be virtuous of an adult to hold on to that faith? Of course it wouldn't be. Why should it be then that faith in an invisible supernatural being "up there," somewhere (we've had to push the location of god and his kingdom back a few times once we learned it's not where previously thought), is considered a virtue?

That kind of faith is not virtue, i agree.

It doesnt bother me that people are religious, so long as i am not condemned by it and i dont have to mandatorily adhere to it.

But if a person is going to be religious, i do not mind them coming together, and worshipping, being friends. Perhaps they will wake up to see that people are just fine being different.

I thought maybe a new faith would supplant all these old faiths that are clearly misguided and divisive. So i am all for different religions talking to each other and getting along.

I , myself, see no god or gods as being real. I feel no need to talk someone out of god beliefs though. I will gladly point out things that are false though about it.

An all inclusive religion doesnt strike me as a bad thing, so long as it doesnt condemn people for not adhering to it. Universals are important in a general sense though. Thats kinda my religion that virtues are important universally.

ManSinha

An all inclusive religion doesnt strike me as a bad thing, so long as it doesnt condemn people for not adhering to it.

Is that not an oxymoron of sorts?

And take a look at a couple of the dharmic perspectives - they come close - in my opinion - to what you are espousing

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
I have faith in virtues. The word faith is a virtue.

But i agree that the less fundamentalism faith is needed
Once a religion tells its people that their beliefs are right and that the other religions are wrong, it is already too much fundamentalism. Can religions, even the Baha'is, do this? So many of the "fundamental", core beliefs of a religion is that they are the ones that have the ultimate, real truth. The others are off a little, or, in some cases, a lot. So can religions and religious people really accept and be one with people in other religions without telling them how wrong they are?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
That's just it....Godly people, if they really want to have the Creator's blessing, should strive to be friends with everyone. -- Romans 12:18.

Obviously, though, not all want that. (Due to prejudice, nationalism, etc.) Some may even get violent. When that's the case, the Christian avoids them (if necessary)... but never kills them!!

ManSinha

Once a religion tells its people that their beliefs are right and that the other religions are wrong, it is already too much fundamentalism. Can religions, even the Baha'is, do this? So many of the "fundamental", core beliefs of a religion is that they are the ones that have the ultimate, real truth. The others are off a little, or, in some cases, a lot. So can religions and religious people really accept and be one with people in other religions without telling them how wrong they are?

If you listen to this guy - that sort of "let live" mentality is already present - no need to go searching for another one