• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Working through some stuff

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Hi all!

I have been away for a while. I needed a mental break from the anti stuff here.

Now that I am back, I wanted to let peeps know that I am currently working through some heavy mental health stuff (which will hopefully help with physical health). I am dealing with depression, anxiety, binge eating, ADD and significant emotional problems at the moment. I have decided to start a blog for it which I will include here, but I also wanted to start a thread on this topic because when I posted about mental disorders/illnesses on my fb, so many people commented with their stuff that I had NO clue about.

So if you feel comfortable enough to share, I would love to hear about it :)

delvingdowndeep.wordpress.com (I know the name is stupid, all the good ones were taken).

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
I have quite a few issues, many of which are permanent, but will stick to what we have in common in this post.

Depression is something I deal with quite often, and have for the better part of my life.
My advice is focusing on a hobby, become mechanical with something.
I read books, or do what I'm doing right now, or I talk with my youngest sister.
The purpose is is to divert your attention from whatever thoughts you may be having.
Before I discovered such distractions, bleeding myself out used to be the only way I fell asleep or had silence.

Since you experience ADD perhaps doing live debates would help?
Some form of speech is what comes to mind, but I'm only trying to get you to come up with ideas.
Do whatever works best for you :). A blog sounds like a good idea, I'll be sure to check yours out!

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I have quite a few issues, many of which are permanent, but will stick to what we have in common in this post.

Depression is something I deal with quite often, and have for the better part of my life.
I read books, or do what I'm doing right now, or I talk with my youngest sister.
The purpose is is to divert your attention from whatever thoughts you may be having.
Before I discovered such distractions, bleeding myself out used to be the only way I fell asleep or had silence.

My current issue is that I have never learnt to actually process emotions or the really upsetting events that have occurred in my life (and there have been many). I currently have a backup of emotions that sit beneath the surface, but I never deal with them. I just push them down and don't acknowledge them or let myself cry it out.

My psych has suggested I start colouring in mandalas when I am really emotional, journal my thoughts/feelings and to try and let it all out a bit at a time. If i try to let it all out at once when it comes to the surface...it is way too intense and I struggle to breathe.

Since you experience ADD perhaps doing live debates would help?
Some form of speech is what comes to mind, but I'm only trying to get you to come up with ideas.
Do whatever works best for you :).

I am not sure debates would help with me lol. When I really get into a topic, I often talk too fast and don't always complete my sentences...or assume the other person knows what I am talking about lol.

Aquitaine

Welcome back. I remember your threads in the past referring to binge eating and cravings etc, I am sorry these are still issues for you, but they say the most lasting change is done very slowly. :)

I've heard that distraction with hobbies is a good way to help deal with Depression, but I've always found the idea kind of odd, as if saying that we need to "stop thinking" philosophically in order to be mentally stable.
For the record, I'm not criticizing your input here, just that I find such advice perculiar in some way. :shrug:

Deathbydefault

My current issue is that I have never learnt to actually process emotions or the really upsetting events that have occurred in my life (and there have been many). I currently have a backup of emotions that sit beneath the surface, but I never deal with them. I just push them down and don't acknowledge them or let myself cry it out.

I'm sorry that I cannot help with emotional issues, my own aren't exactly present as they should be.
I have read before that 'emotional countering' is some method that helps with your situation.
Pretty simple concept, when you feel hate towards someone you counter by thinking of someone else that you love.

My psych has suggested I start colouring in mandalas when I am really emotional, journal my thoughts/feelings and to try and let it all out a bit at a time. If i try to let it all out at once when it comes to the surface...it is way too intense and I struggle to breathe.

Again, I can't help at all here, sadly.
In the past, when I let off all at once I switch personalities.

I am not sure debates would help with me lol. When I really get into a topic, I often talk too fast and don't always complete my sentences...or assume the other person knows what I am talking about lol.

Lol, I'm not the greatest either.
My head is full of noise all the time and it interferes with how I speak to others or structure my sentences.
It's the reason I suck at grammar, too.

Practice. You get used to the methods that others use, and the tactics that are commonly deployed.
It's also more challenging because you can't just google supportive info in the middle of the debate.

Deathbydefault

I've heard that distraction with hobbies is a good way to help deal with Depression, but I've always found the idea kind of odd, as if saying that we need to "stop thinking" philosophically in order to be mentally stable.
For the record, I'm not criticizing your input here, just that I find such advice perculiar in some way. :shrug:

Being depressed can come with a lot of mental feed.
"I should die, there's no point" "everyone is pointless, emotions are pointless" "I hate talking to people".
Sometimes those thoughts need to become silence, distractions are nice.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Welcome back. I remember your threads in the past referring to binge eating and cravings etc, I am sorry these are still issues for you, but they say the most lasting change is done very slowly. :)

We have identified that the binge eating is a result of the unaddressed emotions. When I work through these, the need to stuff my face should slowly decrease :)

Aquitaine

Being depressed can come with a lot of mental feed.
"I should die, there's no point" "everyone is pointless, emotions are pointless" "I hate talking to people".
Sometimes those thoughts need to become silence, distractions are nice.

I guess. I personally have never really been able to "switch off" such thoughts very well, they tend to "taint" whatever I'm doing. But hey, we're all different.
I often tend to wonder why an individual is having those thoughts, if the answer is Depression, then what's fuelling the Depression etc. :shrug:

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I guess. I personally have never really been able to "switch off" such thoughts very well, they tend to "taint" whatever I'm doing. But hey, we're all different.
I often tend to wonder why an individual is having those thoughts, if the answer is Depression, then what's fuelling the Depression etc. :shrug:

I personally cannot turn off thoughts, but it seems that I have learnt to ignore how I feel when I feel overwhelmed by them.

There are different triggers for depression too. You can have a chemical imbalance that makes things difficult, or you can have depression triggered by life events. Mine are life events.

Aquitaine

We have identified that the binge eating is a result of the unaddressed emotions. When I work through these, the need to stuff my face should slowly decrease :)
Interesting. Well atleast you have some sense of a "blueprint" for what makes the negative behavour (in this case binge eating) activate.

Have you identified any particular emotions which contribute to this effect more?

Deathbydefault

I personally cannot turn off thoughts, but it seems that I have learnt to ignore how I feel when I feel overwhelmed by them.

There are different triggers for depression too. You can have a chemical imbalance that makes things difficult, or you can have depression triggered by life events. Mine are life events.

I'm just innately depressed, myself.
There was obviously an event in my life some time ago that made me this way, but such a thing is no longer in my memory.

Aquitaine

I'm just innately depressed, myself.
There was obviously an event in my life some time ago that made me this way, but such a thing is no longer in my memory.
I wonder if a lack of a sex drive contributes to this. Apparently a lack of Testosterone can lead to depression in Males.
With you being Asexual, I figured it mah be relevant. :shrug: