• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Working out

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Lack of exercise, coupled with poor nutrition, is an underlying cause of many health problems. What do you do, if anything, and how do you motivate yourself to keep exercising? Do you think you would benefit (get motivated) if we discussed it more on RF, no preaching, just sharing?
I do jazzercise twice a week, zumba twice a week, line dance once a week, clog once a week, walk in the evenings, work out at home and at the gym. I figure as we age it gets harder to keep fit, so I make sure I go. I would love to discuss it.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I'm going to start working out in the morning again soon. The issue is... I would need to wake up at least by 3:30 am to workout consistently during work days. It's so hard to get up that early and then encourage myself to workout while being awake that early.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm going to start working out in the morning again soon. The issue is... I would need to wake up at least by 3:30 am to workout consistently during work days. It's so hard to get up that early and then encourage myself to workout while being awake that early.
Why early? Could you do it after work(after a bit of rest)?

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

That's commitment! You can't work out later in the day/evening?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Why early? Could you do it after work(after a bit of rest)?

That's commitment! You can't work out later in the day/evening?
I work 12 hour shifts, so I’m pretty much exhausted when I get home, I don’t know if I can, or if I would be at my fullest energy. Plus I feel like exercising is a good way to begin the day and vigorous activity before bed (I dont get off work until 6pm and go in at 6am) would keep me up at night. Maybe I could consider doing that though, if the 330am thing doesn’t work out (pun intended)

We Never Know

No Slack
Lack of exercise, coupled with poor nutrition, is an underlying cause of many health problems. What do you do, if anything, and how do you motivate yourself to keep exercising? Do you think you would benefit (get motivated) if we discussed it more on RF, no preaching, just sharing?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I work 12 hour shifts, so I’m pretty much exhausted when I get home, I don’t know if I can, or if I would be at my fullest energy. Plus I feel like exercising is a good way to begin the day and vigorous activity before bed (I dont get off work until 6pm and go in at 6am) would keep me up at night. Maybe I could consider doing that though, if the 330am thing doesn’t work out (pun intended)
I wouldn't want to work out after a 12 hour shift, either...

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I do jazzercise twice a week, zumba twice a week, line dance once a week, clog once a week, walk in the evenings, work out at home and at the gym. I figure as we age it gets harder to keep fit, so I make sure I go. I would love to discuss it.
That's a lot. I certainly agree as to the importance as we age. You ever get injuries? The body also needs some down time.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
What do you do,

What i do, half an hour yoga soon after i wake up, later i will usually take a walk.

how do you motivate yourself to keep exercising?

The yoga i guess is just habit, part of my morning routine, feed cats, strong coffee, yoga, shower, get children up ...

The walk, where i live is beautiful and different from week to week as the seasons progress. It's so easy to head out into the forest or follow the river, or climb the hills.

I think housework also counts as exercise to, looking after 3 children is not an energy free occupation.

I admit i do rather less than i did, at one time i did about an 80 to 100 km cycle ride a couple of times per week. But following a serious op I'm no longer able to, i do miss it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It's hard for me due to arthritis.

But in general, staying active and basic chores, martial arts, and work keeps me fit as I can be. I'm still strong , but he pain is hindering.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It's hard for me due to arthritis.

But in general, staying active and basic chores, martial arts, and work keeps me fit as I can be. I'm still strong , but he pain is hindering.
That's tough. I have it as well, but it has yet to get excruciating. Not looking forward to that. I don't think any active people would. But hey, I'm soon to be 70. It's unrealistic to expect perfect physical health after awhile.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I play competitive basketball still, and chasing around 30 year olds is good cardio (I'm 48).
But I've cut back to mostly once a week these days (with occasional fill in games) due to a combination of no time, and ankle pain from old injuries.

I also coach, which is a 5 days a week effort, and I'll do a lot of the training with the team (although game days I'm obviously not running around). So that's another three sessions a week, a little less physical.

Apart from that, I walk a decent amount, but nothing crazy.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
That's a lot. I certainly agree as to the importance as we age. You ever get injuries? The body also needs some down time.
I get sore but not really injured. My ankle fracture put a damper on my fitness for a few months, but I am getting back into the swing of things.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I get sore but not really injured. My ankle fracture put a damper on my fitness for a few months, but I am getting back into the swing of things.
Yes, sore is part of it. If you don't use a muscle for a long time, then you do, whoa ... about 3 days later it hurts a lot.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Is there a name for the hatha yoga you do, did you take some classes? I think we underestimate the value of the stretch some days. I should do more yoga, and I know how, but ...

I don't do any structured form of yoga; I just use the poses I learned in yoga and meditation classes a few years ago.

The stretching is indeed quite rewarding!

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I play competitive basketball still, and chasing around 30 year olds is good cardio (I'm 48).
But I've cut back to mostly once a week these days (with occasional fill in games) due to a combination of no time, and ankle pain from old injuries.

I also coach, which is a 5 days a week effort, and I'll do a lot of the training with the team (although game days I'm obviously not running around). So that's another three sessions a week, a little less physical.

Apart from that, I walk a decent amount, but nothing crazy.
Playing sports was my best form of exercise, if I had the time. Far less need to motivate yourself.