• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Working in Strategy

ronki23

To work in a company's strategy department do you need to have previously worked in other departments? Because short term I want to be a marketing executive, medium term I want to be a marketing manager and then long term I want to work in the strategy department .

Altfish

Veteran Member
To work in a company's strategy department do you need to have previously worked in other departments? Because short term I want to be a marketing executive, medium term I want to be a marketing manager and then long term I want to work in the strategy department .
Aren't strategy departments usually called Boards and are made up of Directors?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

There is nothing like starting at the top with no experience, i guess most companies are built on that model

ronki23

There is nothing like starting at the top with no experience, i guess most companies are built on that model

According to various textbooks, the marketing department in particular is made up of multiple roles:

Chief Marketing Officer
Director
VP
Manager
Executive
Assistant

and at both Universities I've been to strategy development / management was taught separately to other modules. So it can't be as simple as working your way up else they wouldn't teach you something so early on if you don't use it for ages

ChristineM

Premium Member
According to various textbooks, the marketing department in particular is made up of multiple roles:

Chief Marketing Officer
Director
VP
Manager
Executive
Assistant

and at both Universities I've been to strategy development / management was taught separately to other modules. So it can't be as simple as working your way up else they wouldn't teach you something so early on if you don't use it for ages

Im not arguing, just try it. I hear social security is not so good under the conservative government.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Do you think I care what a foul mouth fool thinks about my spelling errors ?
SlipperyAcclaimedKob-size_restricted.gif

Read my lips

ronki23

In 99 years we have had only 6 Labour Prime Ministers. They were destroyed when Margaret Thatcher came into power. Defeated by a woman!

Anybody who wants to rejoin the EU is a traitor to the Labour Party and working class

ChristineM

Premium Member

Ahh a Christian threat, how pathetic. I thought you were above that but then again, you have accused me of living of the proceeds of prostitution and i thought that was as low as you could get.

I would not normally block someone with a mental disability but welcome to my very selective ignore list, reserved for those who truly deserve it

Altfish

Veteran Member
In 99 years we have had only 6 Labour Prime Ministers. They were destroyed when Margaret Thatcher came into power. Defeated by a woman!

Anybody who wants to rejoin the EU is a traitor to the Labour Party and working class
?????????????????????????????????

exchemist

Veteran Member
Depends on the size of the company. Some big companies have a group of long term thinkers that work on planning scenarios and strategy options. Shell, where I worked, used to do that. But of course small and medium sized companies are not likely to have that luxury - nor is it probably needed. A sort of halfway house can be for the board to call in a business consultancy from time to time, or when things are looking tricky for the future. An outside view can be useful to overcome the danger of groupthink.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I imagine that someone who is suited for overseeing corporate strategy should have enough research skill to figure out how to find answers to mission-critical questions rather than, say trying to figure them out by asking random people on the internet.