• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Work As Play

Salty Booger

Royal Crown Cola (RC)
Is it attitude that makes a job boring, or is it career choice that makes a job a struggle? I've done some really boring work in my time but also had work that felt like play, so I don't believe it is all attitude.

Your thoughts?

(3.5 minute video)

MNoBody

it is all a state of mind and if one plays with it, what chore is it then?
the old wise guys are always holding that example up that it is some state of equanimity, ambivalent to outcome...lost in the flow of the dance, entranced yet not.... we all know it and recognize such when we find it, but talking about it is difficult it seems.
probably why the most revered in the past were always those who did it, and left it to others to explain it.

PureX

Veteran Member
I think it's important to try and find work that engages our minds is ways that our minds like to be engaged. I don't think the issue is "work" or "play". It's more the right kind and level of engagement.

Salty Booger

Royal Crown Cola (RC)
I think it's important to try and find work that engages our minds is ways that our minds like to be engaged. I don't think the issue is "work" or "play". It's more the right kind and level of engagement.
I can see that, but isn't play that kind of engagement? There should be pleasure in being engaged, right?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Is it attitude that makes a job boring, or is it career choice that makes a job a struggle? I've done some really boring work in my time but also had work that felt like play, so I don't believe it is all attitude.

Your thoughts?

(3.5 minute video)

I see work as purpose. My work provides purpose. Generally, I'm aligned with that purpose. Which for the most part is what drives me. Often it is stressful but I still have purpose driving me. My work mainly is one of solving problems.

Play, um the purpose there is mainly to take my mind off problems.

A Vestigial Mote

I see work primarily as my means to achieve survival+comfort in society as it is much established throughout the modern world. I enjoy my work at times, but when I don't, I rarely lament this because I understand how difficult survival "on nature's terms" is. If I weren't writing code, checking/aggregating data, or fooling with Excel to mete out my survival, then I might be running through forests or fields after prey, trying to set traps, trying to raise crops or forage for wild vegetation, finding furs to keep warm, building shelter, etc. - which is much harder than what I am able to get away with now.

I don't believe in "purpose" in some grand sense. I feel that we each decide our own purposes and activities. So I feel I can't really see my work as my "purpose." If anything, my purpose (which I have chosen) is more to make sure my family is provided for and I raise my kids with as much love and comfort as I can personally provide. So, my work in that respect ends up being a means to help me meet that end. Don't get me wrong - I feel loyalty to my company, and I provide them a good work ethic and quality work, but I just understand that I tend to do those things for selfish reasons. To that point, I tend not to get attached to my coworkers, unless we hit it off as friends in some deeper way. I don't feel that this is regrettable in any way. It doesn't really matter, after all. It is a mutually beneficial relationship. What could be wrong with that?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Your thoughts?

(3.5 minute video)
Only if your wealthy.

MNoBody

I heard it first as this question...does one live to work, or work to live?
[with "live" being synonymous with "play" in a manner of speaking..not purposeless play... to live with "meaning" or heart.]

Cooky

Veteran Member

Your thoughts?

(3.5 minute video)

An excellent point I had forgotten... Thanks for reminding me, and at such a perfect time.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Your thoughts?

(3.5 minute video)

I agree, it's not all attitude.
I think attitude allows you to maximize any situation, but it's not a magic bullet. Some jobs suit some people better than others.

I'm in a stressful job which can be time consuming and hard work. But it's varied and interesting. That has worked for me.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Your thoughts?

(3.5 minute video)

If you enjoy your job you will see it as play or at least, enjoyable , if you don't enjoy then it's just a job, and if it's so bad, so depressing that you hate it then find another job

A Vestigial Mote

Absolutely nothing. I am curious though: if you could choose a recreational activity (something you really enjoy) as a job, what would it be?
I actually really enjoy creating things - "artifacts" if you will - that have a sort of fantasy flair to them. I have made several staffs, with various decorative aspects and adornments, out of various woods (one of my favorites with a glass globe on top filled with dried, red rose petals, bands of solder decorating it like a crown with an amethyst in the center, and a small, pewter castle at the very top) , and have also made "magic" wands - again decorated or adorned with various items (like a glass eye "looking" out of the bottom of the handle, metal studs in various patterns, and leather grips). I just really enjoy having the finished product as, again, a real-life "artifact" - even if there is no actual magic. It'd be awesome to somehow make a sustainable living creating these types of things.