• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Word of wisdom.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Wonderful wisdom

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1665610457953.jpg
    FB_IMG_1665610457953.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 3

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Wonderful wisdom

There's nothing to gain from those that resort to ad hominem. There's nothing to gain from people who see others as nothing or less than nothing. Especially on spiritual matters.

I agree with that.

I actually enjoy unresolvable questions and all the human philosophy that comes along with it.
Yet it's wise to be aware of an impasse whereas one can go no further.

It's a funny thing but I actually enjoy hearing foreign, and even alien ways of thinking.

With much knowledge often comes much hubris.

Some people feel as though with a lot of human knowledge they can answer off any big questions about purpose, being, religion, and existence. Some people like this claim fact when it's just their philosophy. Then they never explain their position on the question at hand.

I know I for one see human knowledge as limited and fallible in regards to ultimate truth.

Science is the most powerful tool humans have for survival, and productivity. But it's truth claims on the questions of purpose, religion, being and existence fall back on philosophy.

It's interesting that a lot of people can't accept and embrace the fact that different people have entirely different world views. I think that's very unhealthy. I can see that people want to preserve their way of life and promote their ideas and spread their message, but I don't ever want to see groupthink, and total submission to intellectual authority.

Some people demand conformity and will do anything to silence their critics, or those that differ. Those kinds of people make things worse for everybody.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
There's nothing to gain from those that resort to ad hominem. There's nothing to gain from people who see others as nothing or less than nothing. Especially on spiritual matters.

I agree with that.

I actually enjoy unresolvable questions and all the human philosophy that comes along with it.
Yet it's wise to be aware of an impasse whereas one can go no further.

It's a funny thing but I actually enjoy hearing foreign, and even alien ways of thinking.

With much knowledge often comes much hubris.

Some people feel as though with a lot of human knowledge they can answer off any big questions about purpose, being, religion, and existence. Some people like this claim fact when it's just their philosophy. Then they never explain their position on the question at hand.

I know I for one see human knowledge as limited and fallible in regards to ultimate truth.

Science is the most powerful tool humans have for survival, and productivity. But it's truth claims on the questions of purpose, religion, being and existence fall back on philosophy.

It's interesting that a lot of people can't accept and embrace the fact that different people have entirely different world views. I think that's very unhealthy. I can see that people want to preserve their way of life and promote their ideas and spread their message, but I don't ever want to see groupthink, and total submission to intellectual authority.

Some people demand conformity and will do anything to silence their critics, or those that differ. Those kinds of people make things worse for everybody.
But you ignore the only thing you actually KNOW. You know how you feel. You know what you want, how you would like to be treated, how you feel when others disparage you. You KNOW that you do not have access to "ultimate truth," though you might hope somehow you'll find it.

Is human knowledge limited and fallible? Of course! But it doesn't get better by believing what some human -- however charismatic -- says is "the truth" and accepting that as if you didn't have a brain of your own. You can think. You might get it wrong. But if you pay attention to the facts, and reason logically, you have a decent chance of learning something.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Is human knowledge limited and fallible? Of course! But it doesn't get better by believing what some human -- however charismatic -- says is "the truth" and accepting that as if you didn't have a brain of your own. You can think. You might get it wrong. But if you pay attention to the facts, and reason logically, you have a decent chance of learning something.
^^^

idea

Question Everything
You can't change the people around you, but you can change the people around you. (Not sure the original author for that one).

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Some of these might be useful but picking just one - The past cannot be changed - is simply not true in essence. Because, if untruthful things are believed about the past, and affect lives, and then the truth is actually discovered, then this might essentially change the past - as it is now perceived. And perhaps much the same can be applied to some of these other quotes. :oops:

An obvious example being the innocent person convicted of a crime and enduring a long prison sentence who is subsequently found to be not guilty of the crime, when the true perpetrator is found.

Last edited: