• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Word of God AUM

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
What does aum have to do with the thread? Aum/om is not a word.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
What does aum have to do with the thread? Aum/om is not a word.

So where did aum/om originate from? I've used om in meditation and there is something "mystical" about it. Just never really thought to question it's source.

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
To a yogi, no symbol is more powerful than the syllable OM, as witnessed by these words from the Mandukya Up-anishad:

"OM: this eternal word is all; what was, what is and what shall be."

OM is used in ancient Sanskrit and dates to at least 400 B.C.

It appears to be associated with the One GOD of all people.

There are very old coins with the OM Inscription like this one:

om coin:
e7jpg0.jpg

There are clear indications to another Religion from the Middle East:

2z70lsi.jpg

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
its an utterance; so yes it's a word. it is what the hebrew utters as amen; which is from amun of egypt

Oh dear Gods! :facepalm: This is so wrong it's wronger than wrong. The degree of wrongness cannot be described. The epicness of the wrongness reaches from the depths of Wrong, up to the highest heights of Wrong. Wrong pervades all.

The Wrongness that can be spoken is not the eternal Wrongness
The lunacy that can be named is not the eternal lunacy
The wrongness is the origin of Heaven and Earth wailing in pain
The wrongness is the wrong on myriad levels

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
So where did aum/om originate from? I've used om in meditation and there is something "mystical" about it. Just never really thought to question it's source.

It's the sound of creation and existence, nāda brahma.

What is a word except an idea realized from consciousness, or mind?
It is also the process of vocalization of said idea, but more importantly this vocalization must be understood by someone, somewhere, or is it really even a word?

From another angle, is this word, and this understanding, realized from mind or implanted there from the outside just to be regurgitated and echoed later?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Oh dear Gods! :facepalm: This is so wrong it's wronger than wrong. The degree of wrongness cannot be described. The epicness of the wrongness reaches from the depths of Wrong, up to the highest heights of Wrong. Wrong pervades all.

The Wrongness that can be spoken is not the eternal Wrongness
The lunacy that can be named is not the eternal lunacy
The wrongness is the origin of Heaven and Earth wailing in pain
The wrongness is the wrong on myriad levels

i understand.

aum is not just brahma, or shiva, but is also some form of vishnu.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
i understand.

aum is not just brahma, or shiva, but is also some form of vishnu.

When I used brahma, it's not the creator god Brahmā. The Brahma of nāda brahma is Brahman. Sanskrit, on one hand, can be confusing due to its inflections and case endings, otoh that can make it crystal clear. This is a case of the former. Very common mistake.

That said, for many Vaishnavas Vishnu is Brahman. For Shaivas, Shiva is Brahman. For Shaktas, Devī is Brahman. Brahmā the creator is rarely worshiped or considered to be Brahman; Brahmā is not immortal.

Given that difference, I'm not sure how the concept of the Trimurti (Brahmā, Vishnu, Shiva) came about.

Satyamavejayanti

What is a word except an idea realized from consciousness, or mind?

Namaste,

Looking at the Google Definition of "word", i don't think AUM can be considered a "word", at all.

From Google:
"a single distinct meaningful element of speech or writing, used with others (or sometimes alone) to form a sentence and typically shown with a space on either side when written or printed.
synonyms: term, name, expression, designation, locution; More".

Aum is Anirukta (no etiological meaning, nor dictionary meaning), and does not express any particular idea when spoken, that is why it is used in meditation, where the focus and chanting on "AUM", helps reduce the Vritti (uncontrolled thought) in the Chitt (mind) as no particular object is reflected by its meaning, this is why it is generally associated with Nirguna Brahman.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Namaste,

Looking at the Google Definition of "word", i don't think AUM can be considered a "word", at all.

From Google:
"a single distinct meaningful element of speech or writing, used with others (or sometimes alone) to form a sentence and typically shown with a space on either side when written or printed.
synonyms: term, name, expression, designation, locution; More".

Aum is Anirukta (no etiological meaning, nor dictionary meaning), and does not express any particular idea when spoken, that is why it is used in meditation, where the focus and chanting on "AUM", helps reduce the Vritti (uncontrolled thought) in the Chitt (mind) as no particular object is reflected by its meaning, this is why it is generally associated with Nirguna Brahman.

i used the etymology of the word; which is an utterance from c.1200

an utterance doesn't require a definitive meaning. like someone simply blowing air. its the difference between a sound and silence.

Satyamavejayanti

i used the etymology of the word; which is an utterance from c.1200

an utterance doesn't require a definitive meaning. like someone simply blowing air. its the difference between a sound and silence.

Namaste,

I don't take it (AUM) to just mean making a sound, then AUM is just a arbitrary utterance, just like blowing air, it may seem that way if one does not experience the Vibrations. To me the actual significance is the function of the vibration effects of AUM - to bring about silence, to quieten the Chitta - Nor to me is AUM a "Utterance" of any God. But i personally think that trying to fit Anirukta sound AUM into Nirukta sounds (word, utterance ect) especially those of another language is not accurate, and does not bring about the experience of AUM.

Anyway just My view

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Namaste,

I don't take it (AUM) to just mean making a sound, then AUM is just a arbitrary utterance, just like blowing air, it may seem that way if one does not experience the Vibrations. To me the actual significance is the function of the vibration effects of AUM - to bring about silence, to quieten the Chitta - Nor to me is AUM a "Utterance" of any God. But i personally think that trying to fit Anirukta sound AUM into Nirukta sounds (word, utterance ect) especially those of another language is not accurate, and does not bring about the experience of AUM.

Anyway just My view

the logos isn't a deity per se. its the ""divine"" reason realized. god is love. love is the divine reason because god is omnibenevolent. not a person, place, but an action of creation. that is what love is, an act of creation. divine reason, or love, is an act of creation.

sorry but science knows that everything vibrates; especially with the idea of wind blowing across something. or the movement of something against something.

or everything along the electro-magnetic spectrum.

NOVA | Elegant Universe | Resonance in Strings | PBS

so are you suggesting that aum can't be realized?

Last edited:

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe it is probably from the movie ET with a British accent. H'om'e.