• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Word Inflation

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't like overcomplicated expressions and redundant jargon either, but in my opinion, the two examples you used are neither redundant nor overcomplicated.

"Price point" denotes something different from "price," and I'm assuming that some companies use it to convey more information to specific audiences, such as investors and analysts.

what-is-price-point.jpg

As for "method" versus "methodology," I've found a lot of articles essentially highlighting the same difference in meaning:

I take issue with convoluted sentences and unnecessary usage of extremely rare words when more common, simpler ones would do just fine. I have found that a lot of articles and blogs are plagued with this tendency, which I assume is to try to embellish the writing or make it sound more "professional." It just makes it obnoxious and less accessible to some people, though.
When the newly ubiquitous lengthened word
or phrase adds no meaning, or is even less
accurate...that's when me gears grind.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
What I can't stand is when you're looking for information on a topic, click on something that looks promising, and you wind up having to wade through paragraphs and paragraphs of personal anecdotes, unnecessary instructions, and information that everybody already has.

This reminds me of how when I look for any instructional video on YouTube, most of the videos will feature some person talking pointlessly for about five minutes before the instructional part comes.

Many of my fellow faculty were also communication impaired, and it was a constant struggle with students, with me telling them to stop trying to sound educated...

I did my bachelor’s program online and I had to read posts by other students. Some of my fellow students tried hard to sound educated and all it did was make them sound either pretentious or funny for misusing big words.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Don't you think you're being a bit overly hyper-sensitiveational about all this?
No.
This is the biggest issue of our age.
Bigger than...
- Micro-plastic pollution.
- The size of Kim Kardashian's butt.
- The Ukraine invasion.
- RF staff pay.

Misunderstood

Objections...
It's all about me gears.
Some fluff is essential.
And so on....
Sorry, I thought it was all about FLUFF. Just was trying to help out by removing some fluff.

Now that I know it is about the Gears, I will concentrate on lubrication to protect those gears; not much I can do about the grinding on your gears.

But you can put a bit of sawdust in an old gearbox to quite them down, if you want to get rid of that old gearbox at a better price.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
It appears that @Revoltingest has no compunction what-so-ever casting aspersions on those sesquipedalians who have an exceptional command of the english language. Those fighters for literacy among the illiterate masses..... or is it that he is just apprehensive of considerably sizable words

Or to put it in Revoltistanian.....or words he can understand.... He don't care if-n he upsets them folks who use big words because he is all afeared of them big words cause they is hard to figures out.... monosyllabic be his way of talkin'

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It appears that @Revoltingest has no compunction what-so-ever casting aspersions on those sesquipedalians who have an exceptional command of the english language. Those fighters for literacy among the illiterate masses..... or is it that he is just apprehensive of considerably sizable words

Or to put it in Revoltistanian.....or words he can understand.... He don't care if-n he upsets them folks who use big words because he is all afeared of them big words cause they is hard to figures out.... monosyllabic be his way of talkin'
To many big werds.
Me no unnerstan.

PureX

Veteran Member
It really grinds my gears when people add needless
fluff to words.
Just today, I've heard too much of that abomination....
"price point"
What's wrong with just "price"?

And....
"Methodology" replacing "method"
The latter reflects two different ideas. Thus necessitating the addition to the original term. Method and methodology are not the same things.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The latter reflects two different ideas. Thus necessitating the addition to the original term. Method and methodology are not the same things.
And yet, the terms are increasingly used inter-changeably.
When "price" does the job, substituting "price point" is word inflation.
When "method" does the job....you see where this is heading.

I recall from some years ago a study of papers written
by college students. Better grades correlated with
papers that had more complex grammar, logorrhea,
& dense jargon. Hence the popularity of bureacratese.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I knew you were going to say that....actually I am concerned you are going to have a problem with the word "going".... let me help....it is the same as gonna
Retroactive predictions are the province of posturing pretentious piddelhoffers.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Retroactive predictions are the province of posturing pretentious piddelhoffers.

Exactly, Like you were doing with @ChristineM in another thread... nice to see you admit your a posturing pretentious piddelhoffers. And proving that this entire thread of yours is based on deceit, deception, and prevarication for you egocentric aspiration to increase your post count