• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Word Inflation

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It really grinds my gears when people add needless
fluff to words.
Just today, I've heard too much of that abomination....
"price point"
What's wrong with just "price"?

And....
"Methodology" replacing "method"

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
fluff to words.
"price point"

And....
Eh?

Heyo

Veteran Member
fluff to words.
"price point"

And....
and, of course:

Misunderstood

fluff to words.
"price point"

And....
I think we could take some fluff out of this.

It really grinds me my gears when we people add needless fluff to words.
Just today, I've heard too much of that abomination.... "price point" whats wrong with just price not "price"?

And Methodology replacing "method"

Corrected:
It grinds me when we add fluff to words.
Today, I heard "price point" not "price"?

Even Better:
WT* is the matter with people?

Orbit

I'm a planet
Just a random comment: People think big words make things smart. In academia, there's a joke that goes something like this "I can't understand the writing, it must be brilliant". I'm writing a textbook right now and one of the reviewers wants me to "raise the reading level" which is code for "use more jargon". I'm not going to do it. The purpose of writing is communication, clear communication.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't mind a few extra syllables if it makes things more lyrical.

What I can't stand is when you're looking for information on a topic, click on something that looks promising, and you wind up having to wade through paragraphs and paragraphs of personal anecdotes, unnecessary instructions, and information that everybody already has.

Exp. Looking for articles on hotspot versus tethering.

You get: One obscenely long paragraph talking about how "important our phones are to us now and how dependant we've all become on the internet blah blah blah blah blah blah blah . . .how we would never think about leaving home without our phones blah blah blah blah blah . . . and how disconnected we would all feel if, God forbid, the grid ever went down blah blah blah blah blah blah . . .

. . . followed by a paragraph informing us that, ". . . the covid-19 pandemic has changed the way that many people conduct business and now more than ever it's important to have ready access to dependable Wi-Fi blah blah blah blah blah. . ."

. . . followed by a short sermon on the dangers of public Wi-Fi: " X-amount of people were victims of identity theft last year, and that's a lot blah blah blah blah blah . . ."

Now we're ready for instructions. :)

"Open up settings on your phone. You can do that by clicking on the little gear thingy and the drop-down menu. But first make sure your phone is turned on and in your hand . . . ''

(damn it! You didn't tell me my eyes were supposed to be open! Now I have to start all over again!)

At which point I just stop reading and wish I could take my hit back.

Last edited:

Viker

Häxan
I occasionally like using big and uncommon words just to get people using Google more.

Today's not so beaten around big word is peripatetic. Peripatetic. I may use this word often today as I seem to be aimlessly peripatetic.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Methods are just behavior or tools used to select a research technique. Methodology is analysis of all the methods and procedures of the investigation. Methods are applied during the later stage of the research study. Methodologies are applied during the initial stage of the research process.

Price is the actual amount of money given in exchange for a product/service. Price point, on the other hand, is a point on a scale of possible prices for a product.

Secret Chief

Stiff Member
Methods are just behavior or tools used to select a research technique. Methodology is analysis of all the methods and procedures of the investigation. Methods are applied during the later stage of the research study. Methodologies are applied during the initial stage of the research process.

Price is the actual amount of money given in exchange for a product/service. Price point, on the other hand, is a point on a scale of possible prices for a product.
Facts annoy him too.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
fluff to words.
"price point"

And....

Got a problem with literacy......A Logophile you ain't

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Just a random comment: People think big words make things smart. In academia, there's a joke that goes something like this "I can't understand the writing, it must be brilliant". I'm writing a textbook right now and one of the reviewers wants me to "raise the reading level" which is code for "use more jargon". I'm not going to do it. The purpose of writing is communication, clear communication.
Consider yourself receiving a "Winner" frubal! Many of my fellow faculty were also communication impaired, and it was a constant struggle with students, with me telling them to stop trying to sound educated...

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
fluff to words.
"price point"

And....

I don't like overcomplicated expressions and redundant jargon either, but in my opinion, the two examples you used are neither redundant nor overcomplicated.

"Price point" denotes something different from "price," and I'm assuming that some companies use it to convey more information to specific audiences, such as investors and analysts.

what-is-price-point.jpg

As for "method" versus "methodology," I've found a lot of articles essentially highlighting the same difference in meaning:

Method

A method is simply the tool used to answer your research questions — how, in short, you will go about collecting your data.

Methodology

A methodology is the rationale for the research approach, and the lens through which the analysis occurs. Said another way, a methodology describes the “general research strategy that outlines the way in which research is to be undertaken” (An Introduction to the Philosophy of Methodology, Howell 2013). The methodology should impact which method(s) for a research endeavor are selected in order to generate the compelling data.

I take issue with convoluted sentences and unnecessary usage of extremely rare words when more common, simpler ones would do just fine. I have found that a lot of articles and blogs are plagued with this tendency, which I assume is to try to embellish the writing or make it sound more "professional." It just makes it obnoxious and less accessible to some people, though.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think we could take some fluff out of this.

It really grinds me my gears when we people add needless fluff to words.
Just today, I've heard too much of that abomination.... "price point" whats wrong with just price not "price"?

Corrected:
It grinds me when we add fluff to words.
Today, I heard "price point" not "price"?

Even Better:
WT* is the matter with people?
Objections...
It's all about me gears.
Some fluff is essential.
And so on....