• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wondering About Forgiveness

Spockrates

Wonderer.
"Apathy" is a specific, whereas "not-hate" is a general.

apple-orange.jpg

Perhaps I'm speaking of apples and you're hearing oranges? When I use the word apathy, I'm speaking of an absence of any emotion, such as anger, resentment, empathy, concern, and the like. This would correspond to definition (1) given above, from dictionary.com.

So in the sense I'm using for the word, hatred would actually be more specific than apathy. For hatred is limited to only specific emotions and is an absence of only some emotions. But apathy is more broadly limited, insofar as it is an absence of all emotions.

But what do your ears hear when I say the word apathy?

Last edited:

Spockrates

Wonderer.
LLAP-classic-980x613.jpg

You see? I'm thinking apathy cannot be hate, because hate requires hateful emotions, such as anger or resentment, but apathy is by its nature an absence of such emotions. Spock from Star Trek, who prides himself on his skill at suppressing all emotion, might be logically said to be apathetic, but not hateful.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
apple-orange.jpg

Perhaps I'm speaking of apples and you're hearing oranges? When I use the word apathy, I'm speaking of an absence of any emotion, such as anger, resentment, empathy, concern, and the like. This would correspond to definition (1) given above, from dictionary.com.

So in the sense I'm using for the word, hatred would actually be more specific than apathy. For hatred is limited to only specific emotions and is an absence of only some emotions. But apathy is more broadly limited, insofar as it is an absence of all emotions.

But what do your ears hear when I say the word apathy?
Non-hatred would cover whatever is not hatred, so would be more general than apathy. It could include apathy, friendliness, compassion, humor, or just about anything else that is not hatred.

Spockrates

Wonderer.
Non-hatred would cover whatever is not hatred, so would be more general than apathy. It could include apathy, friendliness, compassion, humor, or just about anything else that is not hatred.

My apologies. I thought you were saying non-hate (or not hate) cannot be apathy, and apathy is hate. I now see you meant the opposite: Non-hate (or not hate) can sometimes be apathy, and apathy cannot be hate. Or am I still misunderstanding you?

Last edited:

Spockrates

Wonderer.
stoic.blue.buddha.jpg

So it seems, then that the words of Buddha we are discussing are perhaps ambiguous, for they could mean:

"5. For hatred does not cease by hatred at any time. Hatred ceases by non-hatred [which can be apathy, compassion or any other emotional state not having hateful emotions]."

Or am I making an incorrect inference?

Last edited:

crossfire

Premium Member
My apologies. I thought you were saying non-hate (or not hate) cannot be apathy, and apathy is hate. I now see you meant the opposite: Non-hate (or not hate) can sometimes be apathy, and apathy cannot be hate. Or am I still misunderstanding you?
I would venture to think that you have it correct, for the moment. No guarantees. You may change your mind again. o_O

crossfire

Premium Member
stoic.blue.buddha.jpg

So it seems, then that the words of Buddha we are discussing are perhaps ambiguous, for they could mean:

"5. For hatred does not cease by hatred at any time. Hatred ceases by non-hatred [which can be apathy, compassion or any other emotional state not having hateful emotions]."

Or am I making an incorrect inference?
I don't see non-hatred as ambiguous at all. Your mileage may vary.

Spockrates

Wonderer.
I don't see non-hatred as ambiguous at all. Your mileage may vary.

dd394a8bd7c4217ef423af530436be71.jpg

Yes, you might be right. I think Muller found the word ambiguous when he translated it as love. You know (and I now know) that the word might just as well mean apathy. Perhaps he knew better but was trying to make the text more palatable to Christians of the time. [emoji849]

It would seem, then compassionless Spock is just as forgiving as compassionate Socrates, and the complete sociopath is just as skillful at forgiveness as the empathetic Buddha, I think. Do ya?

Last edited:

crossfire

Premium Member
Yes, you might be right. I think Muller found the word ambiguous when he translated it as love. You know (and I now know) that the word might just as well mean apathy. Perhaps he knew better but was trying to make the text more palatable to Christians of the time. [emoji849]

It would seem, then that compassionless Spock is just as forgiving as compassionate Socrates, and the complete sociopath is just as skillful at forgiveness as Buddha, I think. Do ya?
Spock was half human, so was not compassionless. ;) I would not say that a complete sociopath is just as skillful as Buddha, (and not just because compassion is associated with skillfulness,) but also because the complete sociopath does not have the wide array of tools as Buddha.

Spockrates

Wonderer.
Spock was half human, so was not compassionless. ;) I would not say that a complete sociopath is just as skillful as Buddha, (and not just because compassion is associated with skillfulness,) but also because the complete sociopath does not have the wide array of tools as Buddha.

Yes, you would think so. But Spock explains from time to time that Vulcans are capable of feeling emotions even more strongly than humans, hence their motivation to suppress them and develop the skill of apathy.

I agree with your premise about Buddha. I was having fun by using hyperbole. However, I say with sincerity that if Allfoak was correct in thinking I'm a sociopath, then I'd be more likely to be apathetic than many more sane than me, as I'd have a natural talent for forgiveness.

The upshot: A compassionate person might be no more skillful at forgiving than a completely apathetic person.

Last edited:

crossfire

Premium Member
Yes, you would think so. But Spock explains from time to time that Vulcans are capable of feeling emotions even more strongly than humans, hence their motivation to suppress them and develop the skill of apathy.

I agree with your premise about Buddha. I was having fun by using hyperbole. However, I say with sincerity that if Allfoak was correct in thinking I'm a sociopath, then I'd be more likely to be apathetic than many more sane than me, and so I might have a natural talent for forgiveness.
**holds Zen stick at ready** :tonguewink:

The upshot: A compassionate person is no more skillful at forgiving than a completely apathetic person.
:facepalm:

Spockrates

Wonderer.
**holds Zen stick at ready** :tonguewink:

:facepalm:

LOL! Are you sure you disagree?

I mean, to forgive, one must use skill to attain a state is non-hate. Non-hate can be compassion, but can also be apathy. So why can't apathy be the sole cause of forgiveness, for the less compassionate among us?

crossfire

Premium Member
LOL! Are you sure you disagree?

I mean, to forgive, one must use skill to attain a state is non-hate. Non-hate can be compassion, but can also be apathy. So why can't apathy be the sole cause of forgiveness, for the less compassionate among us?
I can agree with the idea of this possibility being true for some beings.