• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wondering About Forgiveness

Spockrates

Wonderer.
I want to learn about different religious beliefs. Not sure, but I'm thinking that comparing ideas about something we all have in common--forgiving--might open my eyes a little. So please tell me:

• What's your religion?

• What do you believe forgiveness is?

• When do you believe you should forgive and when should you not forgive?

If you want, feel free to cite a text from a religious author, so I may look it up myself.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I want to learn about different religious beliefs. Not sure, but I'm thinking that comparing ideas about something we all have in common--forgiving--might open my eyes a little. So please tell me:

• What's your religion?
Luciferian Buddhist

Within Buddhism, to forgive means to unburden your mind from resentment and hatred, so you are not perturbed by it, and it doesn't overcome your mind.

If the person communicates that they truly understand what went wrong and seeks to rectify it, then you would only be harming yourself by holding onto any resentment.
If they don't see what they did as being harmful and will continue to do it, then that is a different matter. You still have to consider and be mindful of what kind of damage holding on to any resentment might do to your own mind.

If you want, feel free to cite a text from a religious author, so I may look it up myself.

Dhammapada 1:1-6
1. Mind precedes all mental states. Mind is their chief; they are all mind-wrought. If with an impure mind a person speaks or acts suffering follows him like the wheel that follows the foot of the ox.

2. Mind precedes all mental states. Mind is their chief; they are all mind-wrought. If with a pure mind a person speaks or acts happiness follows him like his never-departing shadow.

3. "He abused me, he struck me, he overpowered me, he robbed me." Those who harbor such thoughts do not still their hatred.

4. "He abused me, he struck me, he overpowered me, he robbed me." Those who do not harbor such thoughts still their hatred.

5. Hatred is never appeased by hatred in this world. By non-hatred alone is hatred appeased. This is a law eternal.

6. There are those who do not realize that one day we all must die. But those who do realize this settle their quarrels.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I am a Zarathustrian (Zoroastrian, Mazdayasnian).

Forgiveness is to let go of hatreds and realise that we have all done wrong. I have a very Christian sense of forgiveness too.

Within my faith, there is nothing specific about forgiveness as I am a Reform/Gathic Zarathustrian, which means I follow only the 17 sacred hymns composed by the Prophet Zarathustra.

So the faith is very D.I.Y. One's own philosophies can be easily incorporated, though it is pacifistic. The Prophet never demanded war to spread his faith, and ordered that weapons be put down and we be non-violent. He hated the cattle rustlers and the warmongering polytheistic neighbours he had.

:)

Last edited:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
• What's your religion?
Advaita (Hindu-ish)
Letting go of any negative emotions to the transgressor.
You should always forgive in your heart but that doesn't mean that there aren't times for action too.
A quote from Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. : I will let no man demean me enough to make me hate him (or approximately those words:))

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
• What's your religion?

I'm a contemporary Pagan, specifically a Druid and a Witch. Since none of these religious demographics are dogmatic, however, none of the perspectives below "represent" these demographics. They are simply my own thoughts at this particular moment in time.

Today, I will tell the story that forgiveness is the practice of not being a negative, bitter, self-centered little brat who expects the entire universe to treat you in exactly the way that one wants all of the time. It's about not having a entitlement complex, not walking around with a million chips on the shoulder, and essentially getting the $#@% over oneself. :D

Always, and never. I have never found any benefit to the alternative. Holding grudges only allows toxin to fester within the self. That has no benefit, unless one aspires to uphold the virtues of being a negative, bitter, self-centered little brat with chips on their shoulder and an entitlement complex.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

• What's your religion?

Heathen; Anglo-Saxon-esque, Revivalist, Ritualist-Universalist. (Mind, "Universalism" in Heathenry doesn't quite mean what it usually does. In this context it refers to the belief that "anyone can be Heathen"; it's opposite/enemy is Folkism.)

Letting go of a grudge, either with others or oneself, without wergild.

It's not that simple, nor is forgiveness a matter that's terribly important in my religion.

Something that's just part of Heathenry right now is that being a Heathen inherently means having enemies, since we kind of have a reputation for being... shall we say, aggressively opinionated?

However, if there's one place where I definitely think forgiveness should be implemented is with oneself. I've seen what self-loathing does to people, and that's not something I wish upon anyone. (Note, however, that that's a personal belief of mine; it has nothing to do with my religion.)

Well, we don't really regard such texts as super-authoritative. We're free to agree/disagree with pretty much anything in such books as we will.

allfoak

Alchemist

• What's your religion?

Forgiveness is an exercise in self-worth.
If one is instructed to forgive regardless of the action of another, then the only purpose for doing it would be for your own peace of mind.
What forgiveness does, is it allows resentment to be released, which creates an environment conducive to healing.

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Forgiveness is an exercise in self-worth.
If one is instructed to forgive regardless of the action of another, then the only purpose for doing it would be for your own peace of mind.
What forgiveness does is it allows resentment to be released, and creates an environment conducive to healing.

I agree. It's completely personal.

Sees

Dragonslayer
If it is forgivable - then it is good to just forgive and be peaceful.
If it is unforgivable - better to get revenge, than to mourn…as Beowulf would say.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Interesting thread!

I like 2 take the best from all religions - once you get past the dogma there is a lot of common ground like the Golden Rule etc.

Forgiveness is basically a decision NOT to hold onto toxic emotions like anger and hared.

Here's a few thoughts on forgiveness -

http://www.livinglifefully.com/forgiveness.html

All the best!

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I am just starting to come to the Cross Roads, thinking from a far that one direction looked much more beautiful and best journey than the other. I finally reached the center and they all look the same. That does not mean they all lead the same diretion. That's like telling someone to "Go NS to the store" and turn "WE to go Jim's house." I think thats why many people search. Afterawhile, you take a road, keep walking, dance, sing, because it will be so natural that you just wont care. It wont be important.
What's your religion?

I have no clue. Religious Witchcraft is the first thing that comes to mind.

What do you believe forgiveness is?

Forgiveness is letting go of regrets without reservations. Usually done in person (by phone etc). In many religions by spirit, intermediary, or so have you. An action to release guilt by settling greviences.

When do you believe you should forgive and when should you not forgive?

I just recently forgiven my father by talking to him more. Im told by the grape vine I have some grudge with my mother and I have to figure why I need to forgive her.

Forgiveness, for me, helps bond family back together even if not all the way. Its a way of saying, "dont worry about it," and going on our ways. I try to forgive when I know for myself that I have done something wrong. When I can think of what I did wrong without being thinked into it (cause I have memory issues), then I go towards the action of forgiveness.

When I do it,
I have to forgive myself, understand my own emotions and thoughts over the issue, communicate with the spirits and my ancestors about it especially if it relates to family and friends, and basically just know me before I confront the other person and say "I forgive you,"

When should I not, if say my friend and I know that forgivenes wont settle old scores and we agree to set it aside, then I wont forgive. Sometimes its best to be quiet then always try to settle grievences in your chest but may not be on another persons. Communication is important.

Any sutra or sutta of The Buddha would help. Biblical understanding of forgiveness (from the bible not from Christian influence) is all through action and sacrifice. Cant think of others at the moment.

I dont know of any religion where their definition of forgiveness is different regardless of the rituals and prayers they use to achieve their goal.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
My grandmother would say....you can forgive.....but you never forget.

I say, do unto others as you would have it done unto you.
and it will be.....including what you are willing to forgive and....
what you are not willing to forgive.

the Carpenter told a parable about a servant receiving forgiveness
and then not doing so unto his own servants

it didn't go well

arthra

Baha'i
What's your religion?

Well "Spockrates" those are all great questions!

I'm a Baha'i.

Let's see... what do I believe "forgiveness" is? I pray to be forgiven for my shortsightedness and presumption... for my iniquities as a man.. Yes I have committed iniquities and am sorry for them and ask forgiveness. In my Faith I'm not required to confess them in public or before an audience...If I were in therapy yes I could share them. If the person I have wronged is no longer present... I can ask God to forgive me.

I think we should forgive others or ask that God forgive them and that we should ask for forgiveness of those who have passed on to the spiritual worlds. Leave them in the hands of God and not seek vengeance ourselves of those who have wronged us.

O ye Cohorts of God! Beware lest ye offend the feelings of anyone, or sadden the heart of any person, or move the tongue in reproach of and finding fault with anybody, whether he is friend or stranger, believer or enemy. Pray in behalf of all and entreat God for forgiveness and bounty for all.

Abdu'l-Baha, Tablets of Abdu'l-Baha v1, p. 45

Spockrates

Wonderer.
Luciferian Buddhist

Within Buddhism, to forgive means to unburden your mind from resentment and hatred, so you are not perturbed by it, and it doesn't overcome your mind.

If the person communicates that they truly understand what went wrong and seeks to rectify it, then you would only be harming yourself by holding onto any resentment.
If they don't see what they did as being harmful and will continue to do it, then that is a different matter. You still have to consider and be mindful of what kind of damage holding on to any resentment might do to your own mind.

Dhammapada 1:1-6
1. Mind precedes all mental states. Mind is their chief; they are all mind-wrought. If with an impure mind a person speaks or acts suffering follows him like the wheel that follows the foot of the ox.

2. Mind precedes all mental states. Mind is their chief; they are all mind-wrought. If with a pure mind a person speaks or acts happiness follows him like his never-departing shadow.

3. "He abused me, he struck me, he overpowered me, he robbed me." Those who harbor such thoughts do not still their hatred.

4. "He abused me, he struck me, he overpowered me, he robbed me." Those who do not harbor such thoughts still their hatred.

5. Hatred is never appeased by hatred in this world. By non-hatred alone is hatred appeased. This is a law eternal.

6. There are those who do not realize that one day we all must die. But those who do realize this settle their quarrels.

Thanks. The text at the link mentions Mara. Who's she?

Spockrates

Wonderer.
I am a Zarathustrian (Zoroastrian, Mazdayasnian).

Forgiveness is to let go of hatreds and realise that we have all done wrong. I have a very Christian sense of forgiveness too.

Within my faith, there is nothing specific about forgiveness as I am a Reform/Gathic Zarathustrian, which means I follow only the 17 sacred hymns composed by the Prophet Zarathustra.

So the faith is very D.I.Y. One's own philosophies can be easily incorporated, though it is pacifistic. The Prophet never demanded war to spread his faith, and ordered that weapons be put down and we be non-violent. He hated the cattle rustlers and the warmongering polytheistic neighbours he had.

:)

Thanks. Is the wise one mentioned in the text considered the only wise God, or one of many wise ones?

Spockrates

Wonderer.
Advaita (Hindu-ish)

Letting go of any negative emotions to the transgressor.

You should always forgive in your heart but that doesn't mean that there aren't times for action too.

A quote from Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. : I will let no man demean me enough to make me hate him (or approximately those words:))

Thanks George. Would you say forgiveness is only a feeling, or more than a feeling?

RRex

Premium Member

• What's your religion?

What's your religion?
Deism.

What do you believe forgiveness is?
Letting go of hate.

When do you believe you should forgive and when should you not forgive?
I think that depends entirely upon the offense.

In my case, I would never forgive murder or rape of a family member or of myself.

I still have not forgiven my ex for making a joke at my expense in the presence of one of my enemies.

Forgiveness is a very personal matter and I never judge anyone for having peculiar hatreds. There is always a reason for it.

Spockrates

Wonderer.
• What's your religion?

I'm a contemporary Pagan, specifically a Druid and a Witch. Since none of these religious demographics are dogmatic, however, none of the perspectives below "represent" these demographics. They are simply my own thoughts at this particular moment in time.

I think, perhaps my understanding of paganism is a bit outdated. The religions of Socrates' time come to mind. From what I understand of witches--and I'm sure it's more likely a misunderstanding--they somehow worship nature and for them casting spells is more like a prayer. Forgive my ignorance and please try not to laugh as you correct me! [emoji4]

Today, I will tell the story that forgiveness is the practice of not being a negative, bitter, self-centered little brat who expects the entire universe to treat you in exactly the way that one wants all of the time. It's about not having a entitlement complex, not walking around with a million chips on the shoulder, and essentially getting the $#@% over oneself. :D

Makes sense.

Always, and never. I have never found any benefit to the alternative. Holding grudges only allows toxin to fester within the self. That has no benefit, unless one aspires to uphold the virtues of being a negative, bitter, self-centered little brat with chips on their shoulder and an entitlement complex.
so would you say not holding a grudge is pretty much all forgiving is?

GoodbyeDave

Hellenism, like most pagan religions, has a naturalistic ethics. In other words, good behaviour is that conducive to human flourishing. The gods do not issue a list of thou-shalt-nots.

The normal sense of "forgive" (see OED) is to pardon an offence, to abandon any desire for the offender to be punished. Why should I do that? Why is it good for society (or indeed the offender) for some-one to get away with something? If the offence is minor, then ignoring it shows magnanimity, but if it's serious and they don't acknowledge their fault, then forgiveness is merely condoning it.