• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wonderful

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
So somebody, anybody -- before the United States finally abandons its democracy (which is what will happen with a re-election of Donald Trump) -- explain to me, please....

What is the American fascination with this licentious, lying, egotistical, vicious and vengeful, childish buffoon? You know, the one that has already -- in full light of day -- tried everything he could think of to demolish your democracy in a single election?

Is that who y'all (Republicans, anyway) really aspire to be? Because I think, maybe, you're already there!

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Better than anything the Dem's have when Biden is their standard bearer.

upload_2021-10-12_14-6-6.gif

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
What is the American fascination with this licentious, lying, egotistical, vicious and vengeful, childish buffoon? You know, the one that has already -- in full light of day -- tried everything he could think of to demolish your democracy in a single election?

Is that who y'all (Republicans, anyway) really aspire to be? Because I think, maybe, you're already there!
My take....

Trump is a symptom, and I believe it was inevitable that someone like him would rise to prominence in the Republican Party about now. For years we'd been told that the day when whites and Christians would become minorities was coming, due to the demographics and trends in the younger generations (Millennials and Gen Z's). As it became increasingly apparent that those days were approaching, it generated a lot of racial and cultural angst in many white Christians. Simply put, they were looking at having reduced power and status straight in the face. Not only did that generate angst, it generated animosity and anger towards those they saw as "others" (liberals, non-whites, non-Christians, immigrants, LGTBQs) who were pushing them out of power.

So as I said, I think inevitably some political figure would come along and speak to those anxieties and grievances that were simmering among white conservative Christians. Trump just happened to be that person. That evangelicals were willing and (at times) eager to dismiss or even excuse his ridiculously hedonistic lifestyle indicates to me that they were almost desperate for someone like Trump. They were so desperate, they enthusiastically embraced and supported a man who epitomized almost every behavior they claim to be against (arrogant, braggart, lover of money, womanizer, non-religious, foul mouth).

Now, I'll say that I also see Trump as almost perfect for the situation. He's a notorious conman and grifter, and evangelicals are well known for being susceptible to those things (see the slate of disgraced televangelists), so he'll tell them whatever he thinks they want to hear and they eagerly lap it up. His blatant racism speaks to their racial/demographic anxieties as well. Also, he tends to speak very simplistically and give simple solutions to complex problems. Immigration? Build a wall! Muslims? Ban 'em! China? Just "be tough"! Certain folks find simple answers like that very appealing. They don't like nuance or complexity.

So when you put all that together, you get what otherwise would be unthinkable....a poster child for hedonism becoming a popular leader of white evangelical Christians, without ever changing or apologizing for his lifestyle.

It's bizarre, but they're somewhat desperate. Desperate times call for desperate measures I guess.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
My take....

Trump is a symptom, and I believe it was inevitable that someone like him would rise to prominence in the Republican Party about now. For years we'd been told that the day when whites and Christians would become minorities was coming, due to the demographics and trends in the younger generations (Millennials and Gen Z's). As it became increasingly apparent that those days were approaching, it generated a lot of racial and cultural angst in many white Christians. Simply put, they were looking at having reduced power and status straight in the face. Not only did that generate angst, it generated animosity and anger towards those they saw as "others" (liberals, non-whites, non-Christians, immigrants, LGTBQs) who were pushing them out of power.

So as I said, I think inevitably some political figure would come along and speak to those anxieties and grievances that were simmering among white conservative Christians. Trump just happened to be that person. That evangelicals were willing and (at times) eager to dismiss or even excuse his ridiculously hedonistic lifestyle indicates to me that they were almost desperate for someone like Trump. They were so desperate, they enthusiastically embraced and supported a man who epitomized almost every behavior they claim to be against (arrogant, braggart, lover of money, womanizer, non-religious, foul mouth).

Now, I'll say that I also see Trump as almost perfect for the situation. He's a notorious conman and grifter, and evangelicals are well known for being susceptible to those things (see the slate of disgraced televangelists), so he'll tell them whatever he thinks they want to hear and they eagerly lap it up. His blatant racism speaks to their racial/demographic anxieties as well. Also, he tends to speak very simplistically and give simple solutions to complex problems. Immigration? Build a wall! Muslims? Ban 'em! China? Just "be tough"! Certain folks find simple answers like that very appealing. They don't like nuance or complexity.

So when you put all that together, you get what otherwise would be unthinkable....a poster child for hedonism becoming a popular leader of white evangelical Christians, without ever changing or apologizing for his lifestyle.

It's bizarre, but they're somewhat desperate. Desperate times call for desperate measures I guess.
Wow, looking at the bit I highlighted, I hadn't managed to understand it as well as you seem to have -- and yet I think you are quite correct.

But I also think that is a pretty scary indictment about how the majority of humans think. And that doesn't bode will for the world that is coming -- a world that will require cooperation on a vaster scale than anything we've ever experienced.

I wonder if we can do it.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Wow, looking at the bit I highlighted, I hadn't managed to understand it as well as you seem to have -- and yet I think you are quite correct.
Thanks! I've spent a lot of time around evangelical Christians, and I've always been rather fascinated at their gullibility. I can recall as an adolescent complaining to my relatives about how they were giving money to Jim Bakker, who I thought was an obvious conman. But many of them are still giving him money even today!

If nothing else, evangelicals tend to be extremely loyal.

But I also think that is a pretty scary indictment about how the majority of humans think. And that doesn't bode will for the world that is coming -- a world that will require cooperation on a vaster scale than anything we've ever experienced.

I wonder if we can do it.
Well the good news is they're in the minority. The main question IMO is whether the rest of us care enough to do things like vote (and especially in off-year and local elections). As the saying goes, all it takes for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing.