• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wonder what happened?

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
You're approaching the truth, boldly striding backwards.

The sounds about right. :)

Yes, because the "Search for Truth" is a never ending search for all the many never ending truths. It is the quest for perfection while knowing that the nature of perfection will always keep it unattainable. To become mesmerized in a truth you find, unable to stride backwards and onwards, is to create a sacred cow. It halts the practitioners evolution and stunts their ability to become anything more while mesmerized.

Valor

I just posted a new thread about creating a new board in the LHP dir just for debate... i guess it got moved immediately by some staff member...i hope it go's through so we can discuss our structure via healthy debate.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
I understand your point Valor. But, I really see no need for any LHP debate forum for the simple fact that debates and back and forths occur on a regular basis in the LHP DIR. For instance, Octavia and myself disagree and debate all the time here about something or rather, and its all in good fun, its civil, and educational.

Last edited:

ktf

I think it is a brilliant idea. Some debates seem to make in the DIR and some don't, but the rule is that there should be no debate (which I find strange, how do you define the line between debate and discussion?). I say we start it up.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That is a good point. I would consider myself a non-denomination LHP straight through, but I plan on pushing my Reverend title once I begin my psychology career. Because of this, I am going to attempt to put my beliefs down, and start a new religion simply called "Church of The Mind," and my title will be Reverend of The Mind. This will be nothing more than to help people that I give council to, and to start a new "church" in which further my views, which I guess will in turn make my own views of those you are criticizing, but at least I can say they were originally mine, and I did it all my way.
I have even considered starting a piercing apprenticeship to start piercing people to start using my title, start talking to people, and to start working with people on a client level.

blackout

Violet.
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/same-faith-debates/

The above link will take you to the "same faith debates" forum.

You make your own thread and specify which "faith"
the debate thread is written for.

For example...

LHP only, organized or solo?

(just made that up in a hurry)

As a longstanding member of RF
I can pretty much guarantee you
that the LHP is not going to get
any special forums made for them.
They would also then have to do the same
for everyone else.

Also, just to say, the LHP DIR is OURS,
so if you make up a thread GEARED for debate
even though it is in the DIR
I see no real reason
why respectful, civil disagreement would be a problem with anyone.

Discussion often includes disagreement.
Discussion of those disagreements, or differences
is debate, no?

If you really want to '"go at it" just use
the Same Faith Debates forum
I linked at the top.

Don't forget to specify LHP in the thread title.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Kori Houghton

Restricted
The discussions that seemed to get labeled 'debates' are the ones where, after going along civil and constructive enough for pages, someone posts a comment like 'I would avoid that group because the founder was a bank robber'. When, in fact, the founder worked as a bank teller for a while. And then the person who posted the bank robber comment contacts the mods when someone posts to say 'a teller is not a robber'.

I've been reading the LHP area here on and off for over a year, and I've seen the same scenario play itself out repeatedly...even long before I registered, so there were a bunch of similar incidents in which I had no part.

It seems to me that the mods need to address the 'bank robber' comments rather than expect a bunch of LHP types to sit in front of their screens in silence while some absent person is slandered. But I understand my view is not the view of REF :sarcastic

blackout

Violet.
Kori, you cannot POSSIBLY expect RF's volunteer Mods
to fine print read every single post,
and then do research
to make sure that every person mentioned
is properly represented. :shrug:

That's why there is a report button.
Also, if you feel someone is being misrepresented,
say so? you know?
It's a forum.
Either the members of THIS forum
need to work it out maturely
and fairly
or
the mods will just come in
and either delete questionably slanderous posts
or lock the thread.

It is not the Mod's responsibility
to "refree" the INFORMATION itself.
Honestly, how could it POSSIBLY be?
It's an unreasonable expectation.

blackout

Violet.
The discussions that seemed to get labeled 'debates' are the ones where, after going along civil and constructive enough for pages, someone posts a comment like 'I would avoid that group because the founder was a bank robber'. When, in fact, the founder worked as a bank teller for a while. And then the person who posted the bank robber comment contacts the mods when someone posts to say 'a teller is not a robber'.

I've been reading the LHP area here on and off for over a year, and I've seen the same scenario play itself out repeatedly...even long before I registered, so there were a bunch of similar incidents in which I had no part.

It seems to me that the mods need to address the 'bank robber' comments rather than expect a bunch of LHP types to sit in front of their screens in silence while some absent person is slandered. But I understand my view is not the view of REF :sarcastic

If you want a pointed debate on weather
the person in question was a bank robber
or a bank teller,
use the "same faith debates" forum as I said before.

A good rule of thumb is,
if a thread is going along well otherwise
then hits a point of contention
which is a "side issue" to the original post...
go make a NEW thread
that FOCUSES on that particular issue.

That way the rest of the convo
can move on
and those who want to resolve some other issue
can do so in another space designed for that.
Less people are apt to get annoyed that way.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
As a former mod I can say it's difficult to "police" the forums, especially when there are already multiple pages worth of reported threads to be reviewed, add a thread with several posts that need reviewed to be cleaned and edited, and you can't possibly read every thread and every post. The solution is to use the report post button, which is triangular and has an exclamation (!) mark on it. It's what it's there for, and users reporting threads is the most effective way for the mods to do their jobs.
Also under the DIR boards, respectable questions are allowed, but any outside input is not allowed.

blackout

Violet.
I agree with Kori, there is a definite trend. if you want to see a good example look here

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/setian-dir/97713-order-anubis-4.html

You will find the accusation that Demogorgos was "expelled" from the ToS and a little while later the clarification that he actually resigned etc. etc. There is a trend but I doubt it can be discussed here for long.

For starters... this...
Originally Posted by Demogorgos
The Aeon of Set has succumbed and the Temple of Set is no longer a functional organization under the Aegis of the Prince of Darkness.

Definately -- and clearly -- does NOT belong in the SETIAN DIR.

In the general LHP DIR, fine.
But not the Setian DIR.

blackout

Violet.
Originally Posted by ktf
I agree with Kori, there is a definite trend. if you want to see a good example look here

Order of Anubis

You will find the accusation that Demogorgos was "expelled" from the ToS and a little while later the clarification that he actually resigned etc. etc. There is a trend but I doubt it can be discussed here for long.

So then Demogorgos responded that he resigned...

and then Magister Adams responded...

Demogorgos,

Who is the third then? There was RKB who failed as you say because he did so within the aeonic paradigm. There is yourself who while [I stand corrected, resigned prior to expulsion for making threats to another initiate] are no longer with the Temple, but using the Setian section of this forum to further spread your word, Xeper,
Magister Robert Adams
Host, KHPR: The Voice of Darkness

Besides the fact that the whole thing did not belong
in the Setian DIR to begin with....
I hardly see the problem.

Someone says something...
Someone refutes it...
Someone clarifies...
Someone responds....

Discussion? Debate? :shrug:

ktf

First of all, one does not have to be a member of the ToS to be a Setian. One may even be critical (oh horror of horrors!) of the ToS and still be a Setian. Fortunately the Temple of Set does not onw the titles LHP or Setian.

Secondly, Demogorogs was misrepresented in the post I linked to. He was not expelled from the ToS. I am sure a high ranking member of the ToS would have access to that information and could references it before posting something inaccurate that makes suggestions about a persons character. Even the admission that Demogorogs was not expelled included another possible slander about him threatening someone. This is the kind of personal attack that is not supposed to happen in the DIR. Demogorgos was discussing matters of magical philosophy and putting forward a critique of a particular organization and in response his character was attacked. That is actually neither discussion nor debate

blackout

Violet.
The Aeon of Set has succumbed ....

succumbed--been brought to an end? yielded by superior strength?

That was enough.

and.... it was stated by a non Setian. no? in the Setian DIR.

Last edited:

blackout

Violet.
First of all, one does not have to be a member of the ToS to be a Setian. One may even be critical (oh horror of horrors!) of the ToS and still be a Setian. Fortunately the Temple of Set does not onw the titles LHP or Setian.

Secondly, Demogorogs was misrepresented in the post I linked to. He was not expelled from the ToS. I am sure a high ranking member of the ToS would have access to that information and could references it before posting something inaccurate that makes suggestions about a persons character. Even the admission that Demogorogs was not expelled included another possible slander about him threatening someone. This is the kind of personal attack that is not supposed to happen in the DIR. Demogorgos was discussing matters of magical philosophy and putting forward a critique of a particular organization and in response his character was attacked. That is actually neither discussion nor debate

He said... she said... well...he said.

possible slander.... possible truth?

Perhaps the Magister did his homework like you suggested?

Perhaps there is far more to the story.

Who can moderate "possible" misinformation,
without proper informational access?

Go take it to the APPROPRIATE forum.

Had the whole thread not been in the WRONG forum to begin with,
this whole thing may never have taken the turn it did anyway.

ktf

What you are apparently refusing to recognize is that responding to philosophical criticism with personal slander is neither discussion nor debate...regardless of what forum it occurs in.

blackout

Violet.
Once again, that is what the "report post" button is for.

If you feel someone has been slanderous,
or potentially slanderous,
report the post.

Of course if you want to attempt to get to the bottom
of the aparantely conflicting stories,
you also have the option of beginning a new thread.

Also, and just to say,
if I were about to be fired from my job,
and I quit at the last minute before they fired me,
it is not slanderous to say that I was slated to be fired.

But I'm done playing civilian mod.
There's a REASON i'm not a mod,
and this is it.

Well... and also... they never asked me. :p
(would be the FULL story) :D

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
***Mod Post and Tutorial***

Hi boys and girls. While we agree that it would be wonderful if we had so many staff members that we could assign one mod to every member to follow them around and make sure no one is ever offended by anything anyone else says, unfortunately, this isn't the case.

So, to take up the slack we have this fella, Mr. Report Button--- .
See what a friendly and non-threatening little guy he is? If you click on Mr. Report Button a convenient window will appear in which you can lodge any complaints you may have about another member's posts.
In that way, we, the staff, will actually know when a violation occurs, which will greatly enhance our ability to actually deal with that violation.

On the other hand, responding to violations by complaining in the open forums about the staff members lack of psychic ability is itself a violation of Rule 2:

Rule 2. Discussion of Moderation
There must be no discussion of The Moderation of posts or members on the open forums, or between members by private discussion. In all cases of dispute, members are to first attempt dialogue with RF staff by creating a thread in the Site Feedback section. To ensure the privacy of such matters, all threads in Site Feedback will only be visible by the member who created the thread, and the staff. Members also have the option of contacting a member of staff outlining the problem by private message. Final appeals will be decided by an Administrator. General issues and concerns about moderation can also be directed to site feedback.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

KHPR

Social Meritocratist

Dr. Aquino mentioned that in his interview on KHPR

It was a long time ago and I made that comment only to go back and check the facts to see that he resigned when he found out he would be expelled. This is something that happens rather frequently when someone is asked to step down first or be expelled for their actions. I can think of a number of initiates who this has happened to.

Xeper,
Magister Robert Adams
Host, KHPR: The Voice of Darkness