• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women's Roles in Lutheranism?

LeNinjaChic

I was "born and raised" as a Lutheran. At the age of 15, I became a "born-again/spirit-filled" Christian and abandoned the Lutheran church. I have recently deconverted from Christianity all together, but my oldest daughter enjoys going to church with her neighbor friend. They are Lutherans.

Well, my daughter came home from church one day and questioned me on what the bible says regarding women's roles and their need to "subject" to men. While I know the arguments for submission, the way it was presented to her really irked me. I don't ever recall learning that "women must subject themselves to men" (this isn't even what the bible says). This teacher told my daughter that women are not to teach in a congregation where men are present and basically said that women are inferior. Both my husband and I were a little more than surprised (he is still a fundamental Christian).

So.....did I just luck out in the church I was raised in? Does this particular church follow mainstream Lutheran teaching? I find it hard to believe, as just before I left the church, we had a woman in the process of becoming a pastor.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can answer my question...

LNC

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
One of my favorite churches that I've ever attended was a Lutheran one, who happened to have a female pastor. It was the first church I'd gone to that empowered women.

Unfortunately, if I remember correctly, the Missouri (Synod) Lutheran churches don't recognize that women are as men at being able to present the word. This may have changed since when I attended, though.

Hope that helps!

LeNinjaChic

I'll have to see if this church down the street is Missouri Synod or not. I attended the Evangelical Synod as a child.

chelee

ELCA does allow women to become pastors and the Missouri Synod does not. This was a major factor in our congregation when half of the members left and formed a Missouri Synod church.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Please let us know what you find out, LeNinjaChic! I still have good memories of the Lutheran church I attended, and would be saddened to see if this branch is preaching the Missouri Synod ways if it's ELCA.

LeNinjaChic

chelee said:
ELCA does allow women to become pastors and the Missouri Synod does not. This was a major factor in our congregation when half of the members left and formed a Missouri Synod church.
Thanks for the clarification chelee....I'll have to find out for sure now, which synod this is. :)

cfer

LeNinjaChic said:
So.....did I just luck out in the church I was raised in? Does this particular church follow mainstream Lutheran teaching? I find it hard to believe, as just before I left the church, we had a woman in the process of becoming a pastor.

I don't think you lucked out but you went to a synod that was more liberal. I was raised going to an ELCA church, and we had women lay readers and women in positions of power on the church council. My female cousin is even going through seminary right now to become a minister, and my sister-in-law's female cousin is an ordained minister, too.

On the other hand, my grandma goes to a Missouri Synod church, and they don't let the women vote on any church issues. So I would say it's a breakdown between the different synods that explains what your daughter experienced, unfortunately.

Just know that not all Lutheran churches are like that.

Chris

LeNinjaChic

Thanks so much Chris.....I appreciate the clarification. It's a relief to know that the Lutherans I grew up with have not changed radically in their views on women's roles. :)

Bendio

Even the Misouri Synod doesn't teach that women are 'Inferior'. However, there are certain roles. I can't be sure as to the reason, but one thing I know is that Christian men and women (particularly if they are husband and wife) are required to treat each other well, because to mistreat ones husband or wife is to mistreat oneself because husband and wife become as one person spiritually.

Augustine

The LCMS does not teach that women are inferior to men. However, we do not allow women to be ordained as ministers. This is in following with the priesthood of Israel laid down by God in the old testament. I know that is definately a reason for it; and there might be a few more (have to ask my pastor). Nonetheless, women have numerous opportunities to help in the church such as LWML (Lutheran Women's Mission League) or they can become deaconnesses. I have not heard from any LCMS church I have been in that women are inferior and should submit to men. Perhaps, the verse of "wives submit to your husbands..." was misinterpreted. However if one goes in the passage, it says "husbands love your wives just as Christ loved the church" (See Eph 5:21-23,25 for full version).

niceguy

The Lutheran churches here in europe are strongly for womens rights even thou we as well have small breakaway synods that don't want to ordain women. Here in Sweden we even have a female bisoph since a few years. With time there will be more of them and sooner or later a female Arch-bishop as well, I am sure of that.