• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women's Rights According to Qur'an and Sahih Hadith

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I was going to write 'According to Islam' but it's quickly dawning on me that 'according to Islam' seems to translate into 'opinions of individual Muslims'.

So, what are the rights and status of women according to Qur'an and Sahih Ahadith? Do they, don't they have rights and freedoms that secular humanists, or just the West in general would appreciate?

Discuss.

firedragon

Veteran Member
QURAN, MEN AND WOMEN

“Male ego is a ghastly fact”

Is it irony or purposeful craft for the Quran to contain the singular form of reference to women and men cited exactly 24 times each? Man is mentioned
24 times and the woman is mentioned 24 times. But lo and behold, the earthly practice is for the man to be much more superior to a woman whilst the so called divine revelation does not even discriminate one gender by mentioning them in lesser instances than the other.

The Quran preaches equity between men and women. It recognises the differences and respects those differences and clearly commands a harmonious and satisfactory lifestyle. Though misinterpreted, maliciously quoted out of context and egoistic renditions done by some bias scholars, the Quran elevates the place of a woman in society and the world at large.

In fact, the Quran is a book that explicitly elevates a woman or rather establishes the equal eminence between men and women in Gods eyes. It will come as a surprise for most readers to hear what the bible has to say instead.

But I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God. – Corinthians 11:2

That is not meant to denounce Christianity but to show that before a judgment call is made, you must look at your own scripture.

• “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in someone else’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from the other person’s eye. – Matthew 7:3

But acknowledgement must be made that most countries with Christian majority have been constructed based on secular and more liberal ideologies and do not establish unequal laws between sexes. Nor does Jesus, being the pure word of god, teach inequity between men and women. It is some Muslim countries and societies that practice unequal laws going against their own scripture.
Women are your Tilth

• Your women are a Tilth for you. So approach your Tilth as you wish towards goodness. And be aware of God and know that you will meet Him, and give good news to the believers. – Quran 2:223

This verse is addressing the man and tells him that women are your Tilth. The word Tilth or “Ĥarthun Lakum” means a cultivation, where you were born or grown from and where your future generations or children will be conceived. Many “MEN” have understood this to mean as your cultivation where you plant your seed and that you can use them as you like.

In fact it is in the contrary wherein the woman is elevated to possess her due respect and men are required to give that due respect. Man must remember that he was born of a woman (Tilth), and that every human is born of a woman and your children will be born of a woman. Thus, give due respect, remember God and you will be answerable to him. In a world where women’s rights are questionable, this verse gives the men a clear warning and an understanding of her status.

WOMEN AND MEN ARE EQUAL IN GODS EYES

Are women naturally defective for salvation?

It is common for some clerics to understand that women are naturally defective in terms of Salvation. This is directly derived from a famous hadith. The Quran always addresses us by the words “Men and Women” over and over again to show that men and women are equal in Gods eyes, but we do not follow the Quran. The following hadith (Extra Quranic books attributed to prophets) is portraying women to be naturally defective in attaining salvation. But logically it is absurd to think the same prophet who brought the Quran that says men and women are equal in salvation will utter these words. Of course, what story stays uncorrupted through so many generations after the death of prophet Muhammed?

Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri:
Once Allah's Apostle went out to the Musalla (to offer the prayer) o 'Id-al-Adha or Al- Fitr prayer. Then he passed by the women and said, "O women! Give alms, as I have seen that the majority of the dwellers of Hell-fire were you (women)." They asked, "Why is it so, O Allah's Apostle ?" He replied, "You curse frequently and are ungrateful
to your husbands. I have not seen anyone more deficient in intelligence and religion than you. A cautious sensible man could be led astray by some of you." The women asked, "O Allah's Apostle! What is deficient in our intelligence and religion?" He said, "Is not the evidence of two women equal to the witness of one man?" They replied in the affirmative. He said, "This is the deficiency in her intelligence. Isn't it true that a woman can neither pray nor fast during her menses?" The women replied in the affirmative. He said, "This is the deficiency in her religion." - Sahih Bukhari 1:6:301

Bottom-line is the above hadith “Attributed” to the prophet Muhammed says that women are naturally defective in achieving salvation and lower in intelligence in comparison to a man. Take a look at the next hadith.

Vol 4, Book 55. Prophets. Hadith 548. (Shahi Bukhari)

Narrated By Abu Huraira: Allah 's Apostle said, "Treat women nicely, for a women is created from a rib, and the most curved portion of the rib is its upper portion, so, if you should try to straighten it, it will break, but if you leave it as it is, it will remain crooked. So treat women nicely."

Accordingly, we are required to treat women with kindness because they are naturally defective and we cannot expect them to be any better. It is as a father or mother required to treat an autistic child with patience because he is not normal and you cannot expect them to behave like normal children.

These words cannot come from the prophet’s mouth because he has originally, in his life time taught otherwise. The above derogative hadith are investigated two and a half centuries after the prophet dies and they are elevated above the Quran which was written during his life time. How many generations would you believe would take a mentally memorized story to get so corrupt. Most nations have generations reaching a maximum of 30 years and according to that equation 250 years is over eight generations. Thus, an intelligent human being would understand the absurdity of this practice.

The above belief that women are naturally defective is completely and utterly contradicting the Quranic teachings which were uttered during the prophet’s lifetime. What should you follow?

• And do not envy that which God has graced some of you over others with. For the men is a portion of what they earned, and for the women is a portion of what they earned. And ask God from His grace; God is knowledgeable in all things. – Quran 4:32

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
Misogyny is more of a cultural than a religious issue I feel.
In Hinduism, SATI was never mandated yet widows were forced to burn themselves in the pyre of their husbands.
In Islam, non Muslims do not have any rights are taught to be killed but I guess except for a few verses that allow Muslim men to beat their wives, the misogyny in Islam comes from the cultural view points rather than scriptural.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
I was going to write 'According to Islam' but it's quickly dawning on me that 'according to Islam' seems to translate into 'opinions of individual Muslims'.

So, what are the rights and status of women according to Qur'an and Sahih Ahadith? Do they, don't they have rights and freedoms that secular humanists, or just the West in general would appreciate?

Discuss.

These links touch on a lot of topics that might be of interest. If it's not enough let me know.

http://www.questionsonislam.com/que...claims-islam-puts-pressure-and-limitations-wo

http://www.questionsonislam.com/article/are-women-neglected-islamic-law-0

firedragon

Veteran Member
Misogyny is more of a cultural than a religious issue I feel.
In Hinduism, SATI was never mandated yet widows were forced to burn themselves in the pyre of their husbands.
In Islam, non Muslims do not have any rights are taught to be killed but I guess except for a few verses that allow Muslim men to beat their wives, the misogyny in Islam comes from the cultural view points rather than scriptural.

Few verses?

firedragon

Veteran Member
How many female preachers and Islamic leaders are there? What percentage are female?

Lol. There have been 7 female state leaders in Muslim countries as far as I know, including in Pakistan. How many in yours?

I thought was the thread was on the Quran and Hadith, statistical analysis.

Edit to say "not statistical analysis". Lol.

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Altfish

Veteran Member
Lol. There have been 7 female state leaders in Muslim countries as far as I know, including in Pakistan. How many in yours?

I thought was the thread was on the Quran and Hadith, statistical analysis.

Edit to say "not statistical analysis". Lol.
Our head of state is a woman and we have had a woman as a Prime Minister. We also have many regional leaders that are women. This is just one country not 7. Equal rights are enshrined in law.

I'll leave the statistics at that.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Our head of state is a woman and we have had a woman as a Prime Minister. We also have many regional leaders that are women. This is just one country not 7. Equal rights are enshrined in law.

I'll leave the statistics at that.

When I said head of state, Im talking about Presidents like in the U.S and Prime Ministers like in England. :)

Demonslayer

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz, talk to me when women in Islamic theocracies stop getting arrested for having their pictures taken without their veils on. Until then, regardless of what passages you might pick from the Qur'an, the practical fact is women under Islamic law are treated like dogs. Not just any dogs either, Michael Vick's dogs.

http://www.breitbart.com/national-s...an-cracks-instagram-models-not-wearing-hijab/

"You're under arrest for not covering your sinful head!"

- Islamic stupidity

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Really? I always thought the queen was a just a figurehead. Does the queen have any political power?
The ins and outs of it are quite complicated but yes, she's the Head of State and she does have certain political powers.