• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women -- what are some reasons you might not take your husband's name?

Booko

Deviled Hen
Here are some possibilities to get things started:

-- it's less paperwork

-- much of the world manages to get by very well without women giving up their family names. Why bother?

-- people will find it more difficult to find me as I used my name for years in business or college

-- there are some advantages to having different names. I can truthfully write and sign a letter for my kids without it looking like Mom wrote the letter for her kids. :) I'm not going to write anything untruthful, but it's a great timesaver to keep school administrative bs inhouse.

-- The Social Security Administration is notorious for losing track of people who change their names, even women. My best friend, nearly 60 now, just found out that her name was still listed under her ex's surname, though she's been divorced from him for 25 years now (he was abusive) and filed the paperwork she should have. They might've denied her what was due, but funny -- they always take her taxes even though the name doesn't match.

What other reasons might women have for not taking their husband's name?

Nanda

Polyanna
How about the simple fact that some of us just like our names? That was reason enough for me.

Ðanisty

It's possible that the husband's name may be associated with something negative. Hell, in that case, he may just want to switch to her name.

Maybe her name has some interesting history or it just sounds really awesome.

She may want to keep the name if the family name is about to die out (although I've never understood why that's important to anyone. :shrug:)

Ðanisty

Maybe his last name doesn't sound good with her first and middle names (thanks to Draka for coming up with that one in the other thread).

Perhaps taking his last name would cause her initials to spell something embarrassing like A. S. S.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
For the reasons stated here. Plus, a lot of the performers I know who are women didn't or won't take their husbands last name in order to maintain their public identity. Either that or they hypenated it. It's much easier to audition and have a better chance at landing a job if a woman keeps her last name..........directors and choreographers remember which names go with which faces.

Although, she could choose to have a stage name or "professional" name in that case. :yes:

I'm the weirdo in our crowd since I took my husband's last name, and that's how I list myself in the programs. :D

Peace,
Mystic

Draka

Wonder Woman
I tried posting this last night, but lost server connection for a bit.

Perhaps she has a simple surname like "Carrey" and is marrying a man with the surname "Anijimotsu" or the like. Keeping her name just makes for simpler and easier to deal with (Unless you are in Japan:D ).

Also, if the new surname would be the same as the first name: Shirley Shirley, Marion Marion, Carrie Carrey, Faith Faith, and so on. Would get ridiculous. I mean, you wouldn't want to name your child Phillip Phillips, or John Johnson, or James James, so why would a woman want her last name so close to or identical to her first?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If I were a woman, I would refuse to take my husband's surname because by doing so, I would be destroying the world and all the values we as a species hold dear. I've always wanted to do that, of course.

Wilder

Re-directed Mormon
I would not wantt o take my husband's name, because i would feel just like property of my husband, i'd much rather we just take a different name altogether so it could be somewhat equal if we have kids.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I want to take my future husband's last name! I've always hated mine and for the longest time wanted to get rid of it.

Nanda

Polyanna
Ðanisty;823556 said:
Me too...lol, so I did take my husband's name.

Heh, that's why my mom did it, too. Eventually, I should say; she kept her maiden name for about a year before she changed it. For that matter, so did I. They had my surname changed to my father's when I was one. Hm, maybe that's why I didn't want to change my name again. ;)